PDA

View Full Version : Swim the Suck 10-Mile

Franco P
October 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
What a nice weekend! We had good conditions for October with early temps around 55 climbing up to the mid 70's with plenty of sun. Water temp around 70 degrees. We were fortunate to have some current giving us a push down the river. Winning time was 3:04 I believe. This scenic swim is a good one to add to your list for next year.

It was nice to meet Chicken of the Sea, EVMO and all of the other swimmers along with The Wookiee.

The event organizers and all of the volunteers did a great job. The Chattanooga community were great host and went all out to welcome us and put on a fun event.

Save the link for next year and results should be posted soon.
http://www.swimthesuck10mile.com/Site/About.html

thewookiee
October 18th, 2010, 11:18 AM
What a nice weekend! We had good conditions for October with early temps around 55 climbing up to the mid 70's with plenty of sun. Water temp around 70 degrees. We were fortunate to have some current giving us a push down the river. Winning time was 3:04 I believe. This scenic swim is a good one to add to your list for next year.

It was nice to meet Chicken of the Sea, EVMO and all of the other swimmers along with The Wookiee.

The event organizers and all of the volunteers did a great job. The Chattanooga community were great host and went all out to welcome us and put on a fun event.

Save the link for next year and results should be posted soon.
http://www.swimthesuck10mile.com/Site/About.html

Franco,

Great Job this weekend!! You guys looked strong during the swim. Great to meet you as well.
The creator of the event, Karah Nazor, has a wonderful vision for making the Chattanooga more "open water" friendly. The area has a lot of age-group and excellent prep school swimmers, but not a lot of open water events.
The event is also being planned for next year, which I may do the swim, to support a local event.

Thanks to you, evan and chicken for coming down to our area. Glad ya'll had a good time. Ya'll come back now, ya hear!

ViveBene
October 18th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Yes, but were there banjos? :)

Is the Chattanooga River Rats annual 4.5-mile swim of Tennessee R. (June-ish) still happening?

thewookiee
October 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Yes, but were there banjos? :)

Is the Chattanooga River Rats annual 4.5-mile swim of Tennessee R. (June-ish) still happening?

I believe the Rat Race will happen as usual. We have started planning it just yet.

As for banjos, if they had kept swimming downstream, they would have been able to get free roaming chickens, goats, sheep and hillbillies to take home as keepsake items

jim clemmons
October 18th, 2010, 03:03 PM
As for banjos, if they had kept swimming downstream, they would have been able to get free roaming chickens, goats, sheep and hillbillies to take home as keepsake items

What? They would have stolen Geek and his pets?

thewookiee
October 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM
What? They would have stolen Geek and his pets?

If one of the fishermen had caught geek, they would have thrown him back for looking to pale and too thin. The people on the backside of the swim are good ol' corn fed folk. Geek wouldn't have made a snack for them.

evmo
October 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Cool documentary video now posted on the site:
http://www.swimthesuck10mile.com/Site/Home.html

Results (http://www.swimthesuck10mile.com/Site/Results.html) and Photos (http://www.swimthesuck10mile.com/Site/Photos_2010.html) are also up.

As a first-time event, I don't know how it could have been more successful. Such a fun, friendly vibe throughout. Kudos to Karah and her small army of volunteers for pulling it off.

Marathon swimmers only have a handful of events to choose from each year, and this is a tremendous addition. Compared to others, this one is both accessible (no Q-swim!) and affordable ($200 for everything, including two full meals, dedicated kayak support, and beer at the finish) :drink:

Great to meet you, Wook & Franco!

newandbetter
October 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
This was a great time! This swim was double anything I'd ever swam before and was pretty nervous until we found out how strong the current was.

This swim is NOT the River Rats swim. The River Rat swim is in June. Good seeing everybody and I wish I could've hung out longer after the race, but I was spent!

newandbetter
October 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Tentative dates for 2011 are September 23rd (dinner) 24th for the race.

ViveBene
October 20th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Congratulations to evmo for a high-place finish!:party2:

And to others who made it through! Franco, Chick O'Sea...

:applaud:

srcoyote
March 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I really want to do this swim in 2011. Trying to figure out how to estimate my time for registration, though.

I have done the Big Shoulders last three years and usually swim that 5K in about 1:18. Non-current aided 10 mile swim might translate to 4 1/2 hours? How should I figure?

Franco P
March 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
David,

I am around a 1:30 5K and I did this in 3:57. I estimated 5.5 hours last year and it was no issue. There should be some tidal assist but you won't know until the event. I would just put in your 4.5 hour estimate and see how it turns out.

I am hoping to get back to this one.

evmo
March 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I really want to do this swim in 2011. Trying to figure out how to estimate my time for registration, though.

I have done the Big Shoulders last three years and usually swim that 5K in about 1:18. Non-current aided 10 mile swim might translate to 4 1/2 hours? How should I figure?

4:30 would be a pretty quick 10-mile time. Reviewing the results (http://kingdomswim.org/2010adult-swimmers.html) from last year's Kingdom Swim (10 miles, no tidal assist), only a few people were under 4:30, and there were some very strong swimmers in that field. 10 miles is a totally different beast than 5K.

Swim the Suck will likely have some tidal assist, perhaps even a substantial one. I could be wrong, but I think last year's river flow tended to benefit the back-of-the-pack swimmers more than the leaders, because it increased throughout the day.

I think they're just trying to get a sense of the range of swimmers they're dealing with, so don't worry too much about a super-accurate "seed time."

Chicken of the Sea
March 9th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Swim the Suck will likely have some tidal assist, perhaps even a substantial one. I could be wrong, but I think last year's river flow tended to benefit the back-of-the-pack swimmers more than the leaders, because it increased throughout the day.

Nope. Didn't do me any good! haha

newandbetter
March 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Just swim! You'll be all good. I was figuring a 5-6 hour swim but did it in 3:41 due to current.