PDA

View Full Version : Deadly shark attack

nhc
October 24th, 2010, 01:25 AM
at California beaches: link to news (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101024/ap_on_re_us/us_shark_attack).

"Lucas Ransom, a 19-year-old student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, was bodyboarding with friend Matthew Garcia off Surf Beach some 130 miles northwest of Los Angeles on Friday when the shark pulled him under the water. He resurfaced with his leg nearly severed amid what Garcia told The Associated Press was a wave of pure red."

Horrible.

Still in shock at the death of Fran Crippen.

debaru
October 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah, another tragic incident. I saw this on the news shortly after learning about Fran's untimely passing, which really made for a crappy Saturday to say the least. Two families are mourning a heart-breaking loss of life.

Every time I hear of a shark attack like this, I cringe. I grew up swimming in the waters between Long Beach and San Diego. In all those years (I swam for hours almost daily between 1972 and 1976), I never saw any sharks, but I always wonder whether any saw me.

stillwater
October 25th, 2010, 11:12 AM
In Southern California it is quite rare to see a shark that will eat you (or a part of you). I am confident that they have seen me. They are pretty stealthy.

Northern California is a different story.

debaru
October 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM
In Southern California it is quite rare to see a shark that will eat you (or a part of you). I am confident that they have seen me. They are pretty stealthy.

Northern California is a different story.

How true! I spent 20 years living in the Bay area and usually swam south of Santa Cruz. Sharks were (and are) an ever-present danger in these waters.

MickYoung
October 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Even in shark "infested" waters, the chances of being killed in an attack are miniscule compared with drowning, heart attack, or hypothermia.

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Human_Deaths_From_Shark_Attacks_Hit_20_Year_Low_La st_Year_999.html (http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Human_Deaths_From_Shark_Attacks_Hit_20_Year_Low_La st_Year_999.html)

Worldwide there are usually less than 10 people die per year.

A public health professor told me that every day there are a dozen healthy people who get out of bed, trip, fall, hit their heads and die. Every day.

Even in young, healthy people the danger of heart attack while swimming is much higher.

Still, those are SCARY critters.

debaru
October 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Even in shark "infested" waters, the chances of being killed in an attack are miniscule compared with drowning, heart attack, or hypothermia.

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Human_Deaths_From_Shark_Attacks_Hit_20_Year_Low_La st_Year_999.html (http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Human_Deaths_From_Shark_Attacks_Hit_20_Year_Low_La st_Year_999.html)

Worldwide there are usually less than 10 people die per year.

A public health professor told me that every day there are a dozen healthy people who get out of bed, trip, fall, hit their heads and die. Every day.

Even in young, healthy people the danger of heart attack while swimming is much higher.

Still, those are SCARY critters.

I know what articles say, but I tend to disagree with that logic. It just makes sense to me that if If I choose to swim in shark-infested waters, I have a much greater chance of being bitten (or killed by a shark). It's kind of like winning the lottery. The chances of it happening to me are slim-to-none, but someone wins eventually.

Here's a funny twist on the subject: http://www.thedivingblog.com/5-things-more-likely-than-shark-attack/

Then there's the old saying of "it's more likely you'll be hit by lightning than be attacked by a shark". I find this amusing, since I now live in Arizona, where we get incredible electrical storms during the summer monsoon months.

I guess when I moved from California to Arizona, I swapped one potential danger for another. :D

nhc
October 28th, 2010, 12:36 AM
The chance of being eaten by sharks is not the point. The point is it is a horrible death.

RobbieD
October 28th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I feel really bad for this kid and his family... shark attack is no way to go...

This is the second one we've had on the central coast in the last 7 years. This attack happened about 30 miles away from my beach which is home to the last local fatal shark attack back in 2003. Despite this tragedy I've been in the water twice since this went down. The ocean is a dangerous place but I think it provides more good than bad so I'm willing to put myself out there. I'm almost certain I've swam closer to sharks than I want to know about, but I try to trust them to know the difference between a swimmer and a fatty pinniped of some sort. I always try to keep in mind that a shark attack on top of being incredibly rare tends to be an accident. We're not sufficiently delicious and no self respecting shark would eat us on purpose... but unfortunately in the right light at the right angle a guy on a boogie board with finned feet hanging off it looks pretty tasty.

Bobinator
October 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I think the odds are swayed and look almost non-exsistant due to the fact that really only a small portion of society swims in shark infested water.
On the other hand almost everybody gets out of bed in the morning.
Think about it.:bed:

E=H2O
October 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM
However you look at it, you are far more likely to get killed in an auto accident on your way to the beach than by a shark while swimming in the water. And keep in mind, you may make it to the beach safely, and you may survive a swim in the shark infested waters, but you still have to survive the drive home before you can feel "safe" again. Just make sure to stand under a hose outside to get the sand off. You wouldn't want to slip and fall in the tub and break your neck. (I think there are far more deaths resulting from a fall in a tub than there are from shark attacks) :-)

Bobinator
October 28th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Okay I'm going to start sleeping on the floor, quit driving my car, take sponge baths only (no tub or shower, and NEVER SWIM IN SHARK INFESTED WATER! Am I safe now?

E=H2O
October 28th, 2010, 08:44 PM
US figures:

one death-by-shark per 75 thousand hours ocean swim training

one traffic death per 2.5 million hours driving

M = 2974 billion vehicle miles driven per year
N = 37423 traffic fatalies per year
S = 30 mph average speed estimate
2974000000000 / 37423 / 30 = 2648994

similarly,

M = 50 thousand ocean training miles swum per year
N = 0.33 = 3 OW ocean swimming fatalities every 10 years
S = 2 mph typical speed
50000 / 0.3333 / 2

LOL

3strokes
October 30th, 2010, 06:54 PM
The chance of being eaten by sharks is not the point. The point is it is a horrible death.

The point is: WE are supposed to eat fish; not fish us.
:canada:
Glad it's (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay brrrrrrrrrrr) too cold to go ocean swimming where I am.

nhc
October 30th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Glad it's (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay brrrrrrrrrrr) too cold to go ocean swimming where I am.

And they eat us alive, unlike how we treat them.:mad: :D

orca1946
October 30th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Sad to hear of this. Our prayers to the families.

ChrisM
November 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM

When we pull them out of their world, we win. But when we enter their domain, they get to make the rules.

Condolences to the family. I was up that way this past weekend and cast many an eye towards the water, wondering if I'd see the landlord.

Chicken of the Sea
November 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Eek! another one off WA. This one not fatal, thank goodness.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp/8228774/shark-attacks-woman-off-garden-island/

MickYoung
November 3rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Eek! another one off WA.

When I saw "WA" I thought "Washington," but it actually happened in Western Australia.

I believe that most shark atttacks worldwide happen in (or near) Australia

Chicken of the Sea
November 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
sorry should have clarified that.
REally? I thought Florida had the biggest concentration of attacks..

MickYoung
November 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Oppps!

According to Wiki, I was wrong. Most shark attackis are in the US.

I still suspect that per capita that Aussie waters are more dangerous. After all, a shark would have to have stones to attack Crocodile Dundee.

Chicken of the Sea
November 4th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Oppps!

According to Wiki, I was wrong. Most shark attackis are in the US.

I still suspect that per capita that Aussie waters are more dangerous. After all, a shark would have to have stones to attack Crocodile Dundee.

hahaha
actually a lot of the beaches in the Sydney area are shark netted. Good from a human perspective but very bad for the poor critters that get caught and drown :(
Maybe they'll do away with them soon.

MickYoung
November 5th, 2010, 11:53 AM
of the 51 fatal shark attacks in the past decade worldwide, 3 were in florida, 3 in california, and 1 in hawaii. 13 in australia. 8 in south africa.

flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsw.htm

Florida has almost three times as many shark attacks, but 1/4 the fatal shark attacks as Aus. Australia has about 20% larger population. I'm guessing that Florida has a large number of tourists that swim.

So, it looks to me like the land down under is the place to go to feed the sharks! ("I'd give an arm and a leg to save an endangered species.")

jkormanik
November 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Over the past 2 decades, more than 250 people in the US have been cleared from wrongful convictions. In total, the exonerees served more than 3250 years before being cleared, which is more than 46 lifetimes (3250/70).

innocenceproject.org/Content/How_many_people_have_been_exonerated_through_DNA_t esting.php (http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/How_many_people_have_been_exonerated_through_DNA_t esting.php)

innocenceproject.org/Content/How_much_time_did_the_exonerees_serve_in_prison.ph p (http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/How_much_time_did_the_exonerees_serve_in_prison.ph p)

innocenceproject.org/Content/How_many_innocent_people_are_there_in_prison.php (http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/How_many_innocent_people_are_there_in_prison.php)

By comparison, sharks have taken less than half that number of lives from US coastal waters over that same time period (past 2 decades) (few of the 20 were open water swimmers, many were surfers)

flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsus.htm (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsus.htm)

Who should we be more leary of: lawyers or sharks?

Remember, it was lawyers who founded the Innocence Project and lawyers are getting the wrongfully convicted freed. Just as with sharks - you should be leery of some lawyers! (Of course, I'm an attorney!)

E=H2O
November 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Who should we be more leary of: lawyers or sharks?

My Vote?

Over zealous district attorneys

jkormanik
November 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
For anyone interested in the topic of the wrongly convicted, an excellent read is "Actual Innocence." It's by the Innocence Project guys and is a disturbing read. Overzealous prosecutors are only one part of the "problem." Faulty police techniques and crime "labs" with shoddy practices also contribute to the convictions of the actually innocent.

gdanner
November 23rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Why is it always negative with sharks and jellyfish? Where are all those mermaids when you need em?