PDA

View Full Version : Auburn 2011

Karlene
October 30th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I was planning out my racing season and noticed that LC Nats at Auburn are Wed. 8/3 to Sat. 8/6. This is correct? It's unusual to have Nationals not utilize both Sat. and Sun. to minimize lost work time for swimmers.

bzaks1424
November 1st, 2010, 10:51 AM
Perhaps this is the only time available to use the pool? O_o

Chris Stevenson
November 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
No, I think there is an Open Water competition on Sunday (perhaps even a national championship?). At least, that's my recollection of the reason for the dates.

And although it has nothing to do with this discussion, I can't resist using the cool new smiley:
:turkey:

bzaks1424
November 1st, 2010, 11:27 AM
And although it has nothing to do with this discussion, I can't resist using the cool new smiley:

I too like that smiley.

I might not make Auburn, only because of the fact that I'm basically taking all of April off for the SC meets I'm going to.

Viva O Fear
November 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
Cool open water swims at Nationals! What will they think of next. I am thinking of going now!:)

BrandonNE
November 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I heard that the 2011 Open Water Nationals will be on Sunday... If so that will be a long week I am planning on racing the 50, 100, 200, 400, and 1.5k swims

jroddin
December 23rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
I heard that the 2011 Open Water Nationals will be on Sunday... If so that will be a long week I am planning on racing the 50, 100, 200, 400, and 1.5k swims

There are plans for an open water event on Sunday but it isn't an Open Water National Championship.

Attached to this post are the NQTs for Auburn. They will later appear on the official meet page, but you can get a preview of them now. They are based on a three year average of the fifth place time from USMS Top Ten (from 2008, 2009, 2010 LCM seasons). The NQTs are 15% slower than those average 5th place times.

Jeff Roddin
USMS Championship Committee

ElaineK
December 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM

:dj_dance: And, Chris, don't forget this one for New Year's! Have a happy 2011!
:chug:

ElaineK
December 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
I too like that smiley.

I might not make Auburn, only because of the fact that I'm basically taking all of April off for the SC meets I'm going to.

Whaaaaat? You HAVE to go to Auburn! :cry:

The Fortress
January 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know which order of events is being used for Auburn?

Glider
January 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM
See page 30 in the Swimming Rules (http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf) from the USMS Rule Book of the GTO (http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/). Same order as Atlanta SCY Nats in 2010, excepting the 100 IM, of course. Also, Atlanta flip-flopped the 200 BR and 50 FR on day 4.

Does anyone know which order of events is being used for Auburn?

The Fortress
January 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
See page 30 in the Swimming Rules (http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf) from the USMS Rule Book of the GTO (http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/). Same order as Atlanta SCY Nats in 2010, excepting the 100 IM, of course. Also, Atlanta flip-flopped the 200 BR and 50 FR on day 4.

Thanks Mark! That looks pretty good actually.

Karl_S
February 16th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Two questions:

1) If one swims back-to-back events at LCM Nationals, how much time are you likely to get between swims? Assume no games with entry times.

2) What fun non-swimming things will there be to do near Auburn?

Conner Bailey
February 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Fun things to do in Auburn depends on your definition of fun, of course. We have world class golf courses. If you are interested in civil rights history, Tuskegee is 25 minutes from Auburn, the field where the Tuskegee airmen trained is 20 minutes away, and Montgomery is an hour. There is a nice art museum associated with Auburn University, and a very nice one in Montgomery (as well as a world class Shakespearian theater). Basically, Auburn is a college town and we'll be swimming at the end of summer term and during the run up to graduation, so come see what the current crop of college students do for fun.

ElaineK
February 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hey Conner! I know I sent you an e-mail about the Auburn meet, but I must give you one more round of :applaud: for your fantastic meet, last weekend! AWESOME job by you and your team! :bow:

I'm looking forward to LCM Nationals!!! :bliss:

Betsy
February 17th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Karl,
Swimming back-to-back events at nationals is possible. You will have a minimum of 30 min between your heats. Sometimes it is an hour.

Allen Stark
April 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM
No, I think there is an Open Water competition on Sunday (perhaps even a national championship?). At least, that's my recollection of the reason for the dates.

I don't see anything about an open water swim anywhere.Maybe that's because I don't know where to look as I haven't looked for open water events before,but my wife may want to do one if there is one then.Help!!!

jessman131
April 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Is registration closed for this? If not where can I find a registration form does anyone know?

barryf
April 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM
To avoid confusion, the entry info for Summer Nationals is not posted until after Spring Nationals is over. It will be posted at: http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats11/

jroddin
June 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Please note the entry deadline for 2011 USMS Summer Nationals at Auburn University is fast approaching. Online entries will be accepted until midnight on June 29 (Wednesday).

For those who have attended previous Nationals the most common complaint has been the lack of adequate warm up space. Auburn will have 14 short course warm up lanes PLUS 10 long course warm up lanes which is more or less the capacity of 34 short course lanes. That is more than our previous three short course National Championship meets combined!

Also important on swimmers’ wish lists has been the need for a fast pool to host Nationals. Let’s just say there are good reasons many of the fastest swimmers in the world train in this pool. Likewise it is no coincidence the NCAA likes to have their Division I Nationals at this facility.

I understand the hurdle of getting from the airport to the campus and back to the airport is a concern to many. For those who normally rent a car at Nationals this isn’t an issue. For others I encourage you to make use of these Forums to see who may have similar air travel schedules to coordinate rides between the airports and Auburn. Just think of the old “ride sharing” boards we used to use in college! There is a shuttle available for meet transportation once you have arrived in Auburn, so a rental car is not required ($25 shuttle pass available for purchase at the time of your meet entry).

Again, please be aware of the entry deadline of midnight on June 29. Here is a link to the meet information that includes the link to enter online:
http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats11/

Jeff Roddin
USMS Championship Committee Chair

PS. Rumor has it Misty Hyman will be on the pool deck again - perhaps this time donning her swim suit, cap and goggles...

MPohlmann
July 15th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Could we get an estimated time line for Auburn posted?

Thanks.

matysekj
July 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Thanks.

Yes, it will be posted when it is ready. The meet has not been seeded yet, as we are still accepting voluntary scratches. Any entrant who knows that they will not attend the meet or will be scratching one or more events: please email championship -AT- usms -dot- org to let us know so that we keep the number of empty lanes to a minimum.

jroddin
July 18th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks.

Attached is the estimated timeline. We used historical scratch rates to "guess" the number of swimmers in the 800/1500 and 400 IM. Being off by just one heat in the 1500 can obviously make a big difference so just take this as a guide.

Jeff Roddin

want2beafish
July 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Attached is the estimated timeline. We used historical scratch rates to "guess" the number of swimmers in the 800/1500 and 400 IM. Being off by just one heat in the 1500 can obviously make a big difference so just take this as a guide.

Jeff Roddin

Thanks for posting!

I notice that there are separate start times for the women's and the men's distance events. Does this mean that the heats will not be mixed? I actually hope that they are, as I really don't want to be in the heat I will likely be in for the 800 if the women and men swim separately... :afraid:

Can't wait! Should be fun!

jim clemmons
July 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I notice that there are separate start times for the women's and the men's distance events. Does this mean that the heats will not be mixed?

"The 800 and 1500 Freestyle events will be deck seeded slowest to fastest by entry time (regardless of age) with men and women swimming separately."

Separate...but equal.

want2beafish
July 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM
"The 800 and 1500 Freestyle events will be deck seeded slowest to fastest by entry time (regardless of age) with men and women swimming separately."

Separate...but equal.

Ah, thanks. I was reading the page under the "meet information" tab that said that the men and women "may be" seeded together. I missed the update.

Do you think I can train (or taper) hard enough during the next two weeks so that I won't be 30 seconds to almost two minutes slower than the rest of my heat?

It will be a growing experience, that's for sure! :laugh2:

Lump
July 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Which end of the pool are we starting from? Specifically, everything BUT the 50's? Is it the "shallow" end by the warmdown pool? Just trying to mentally visualize it.

Conner Bailey
July 24th, 2011, 01:36 AM
My understanding is the starting blocks will be towards the diving well. The "shallow" part of the pool - the turn end for events 100 meters and above, is 9 feet deep. I assume there will be pads at each end of the course, so that 50s and all other events will start from the same place. The 'turn' end will be a wall; the start will be from a moveable bulkhead. Because the bulkhead does not extend to the botom, swimmers not familiar with swimming into a bulkhead should pay attention to markings at the bottom of the pool to properly judge their turns.

Conner Bailey
Auburn Masters Swimmers

Lump
July 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
My understanding is the starting blocks will be towards the diving well. The "shallow" part of the pool - the turn end for events 100 meters and above, is 9 feet deep. I assume there will be pads at each end of the course, so that 50s and all other events will start from the same place. The 'turn' end will be a wall; the start will be from a moveable bulkhead. Because the bulkhead does not extend to the botom, swimmers not familiar with swimming into a bulkhead should pay attention to markings at the bottom of the pool to properly judge their turns.

Conner Bailey
Auburn Masters Swimmers

Thanks for that Conner, makes a big difference. It WILL be difficult to judge and different having a bulkhead in the "deep" end and not extending to the bottom. I don't recall ever swimming in a pool with this set-up....where the diving end (deep) isn't the solid wall. I should be there on Tuesday to be able to get some practice at it!

hnatkin
July 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Jeff - If you swam the Auburn meet in Feb 2010, we started from the bulkhead. In fact, at that time both walls were bulkheads...

want2beafish
July 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know which vendors will be there? I love to shop... :) I am also bringing my 17 year old son who is interested in looking at the B70 Nero TX jammers, and he was hoping to be able to try a pair on.

Lump
July 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know which vendors will be there? I love to shop... :) I am also bringing my 17 year old son who is interested in looking at the B70 Nero TX jammers, and he was hoping to be able to try a pair on.

I know my brother will be there with Kastaway, along with Patty and Heidi Kast.

shoalsswimmer
July 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM
All American Swim will be there with Nike, TYR and Tri Swim products
Kastaway will have Speedo.
B70 will have a set up.
Finis will probably be there too.
I am not sure about others.

want2beafish
July 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I know my brother will be there with Kastaway, along with Patty and Heidi Kast.

All American Swim will be there with Nike, TYR and Tri Swim products
Kastaway will have Speedo.
B70 will have a set up.
Finis will probably be there too.
I am not sure about others.

Awesome. Thanks!

Lump
July 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Got my new speedy fast goggles today for Nationals! I plan to sport these on the relays so I can keep my eyes on the competition (all 4!) Beware!!! :eek:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/Gamecock71/110727-181346.jpg

Oh yeah, a little pre-meet facial hair is a swimming tradition.....for what its worth! I'm 40 and that's the most I can grow!!! :D

ElaineK
July 30th, 2011, 09:50 PM
:lmao: Love the extra set of eyes!

Allen Stark
August 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I just want to thank the officials,timers,and staff for a great meet.