PDA

View Full Version : OW workout reports, week of 10/25

geog
November 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM

MickYoung
November 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
I live in Pittsburgh. Mid-October, I went to lake outside of town, Raccoon Creek reservoir- it was cold. The next day, I went swimming in the QAllegheny with the triathletes and the water seemed much warmer.

The Allegheny was reported to be 60 degrees, but I'm skeptical. It was a bright sunny day. There was a temperature gradient where my fingertips hit much colder water. I'm thinking that colder water may have been 60, but even that seemed warmer.

Onj Saturday, I went swimming in the Youghegeny River reservoir up in the Allegheny mountains. I expected it to be quite cold.

I went in thinking it would be a "boasting rights" swim - that is, put my face in, swim 2 or three strokes, and get the h*ll out. It turned out to be warmer than Raccoon was a few weeks ago and I did a few hundred yards.

I think it might be warmer because the reservoir is really low, the swimming area is near the dam , and the water for the Yough comes out of the bottom of the dam. That means the coldest water gets removed and the sun-warmed water remains.

I hope to do the Mackinack Straits next summer. At this point I think I can train well for that temp. In my heard I have the range of 58 -72 degrees, but I don't know where I got that.

Does anyone know of a swimming place where I could train for a week in August that is reliably in the 55- 60 degree range?

I thought about Lake Superior, but my impressioin is that the range of temps there would be from 40-something to about 75. The places where I've swum in Superior recently, Marquette and Au Train Bay have been relatively warm in late July- maybe even over 70.

Either 45 degrees or 75 wouldn't do it if I wanted to train for a distance at 58 degrees. In 45, I wouldn't be able to do the distance training and 75 wouldn't be cold enough to acclimate.

beireland
November 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
If you want 58 degree water in August, try San Francisco Bay. It is usually around that temperature. Maybe slightly warmer. If it gets too warm(61 or so), you can head out to Ocean Beach where it will usually be a little colder.

MickYoung
November 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Geographic, your swims are hard core. Are you training for something?

chaos
November 3rd, 2010, 08:48 PM
looking forward to a 5k this saturday at coney island. water temp is predicted to be 55 degrees with an atmospheric high of 50. there are over 50 people signed up so far.