PDA

View Full Version : Technical Suit Suggestions?

kgernert
November 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I know there are many of you out there with strong feelings against technical suits. While I respect your opinions, I am wanting to try a technical suit for the SCY 2011 state/national meets. What I am looking for here are suggestions, tips, and/or recommendations from people who are using technical suits as to what I should be looking for - other than "FINA approved". If you have any advice for someone looking to buy her first technical suit, please let me know. If it makes a difference, I am focusing on mainly freestyle and fly.

Thanks!

swimshark
November 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I have always worn the TYR Aquapel. Now that zippers and clips are illegal, I use the Aeroback shortjohn. My times are still dropping in this suit and I find it very comfortable.

http://www.trivillage.com/tyrwsw0700.html

Donna
November 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Fit is important and depending upon your body type can dictate which suit is best for you.

If you are on the thin side you can buy almost any suit and the fit will be good but if you have some curves you may find it better to go to a shop and try them on.

I didn't start buying the tech suits until I lost most of the weight I needed to lose. I used to weight 220 lbs but did not buy my first tech suit until I was 175 lbs. My personal opinion is don't waist your money until you can actually fit in the suit, that is why I waited. I have seen people I feel do not need to stuff themselves into a suit that is TOOOOO small and they are almost see thru in the back.

When I finally decided to buy my first suit I visited the booths at Nationals at the Woodlands starting with the Speedo booth where the sales gal said she could fit anyone even if she had to put me in a mans suit. In the end she had to admit my body type was better for a Tyr suit than a Speedo, so she took me over to the Tyr vender and they helped my find an Aquapel that fit really well.

Since then I have been using the Tyr suits. Due to price I have been staying with the Fusion 2 which fits good and works for me without draining my wallet. When I can find an old Aquapel or Aqua Shift I pick them up. I have 3 I managed to find recently at a great price. My local swim shop also keeps an eye out for me on samples and such.

for your first suit don't worry about price, go for fit. Go to a good swim shop and try them on. This is always my recommendation. Once you know what to buy you can pick it up at a good price.

I hope this is helpful.

kgernert
November 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Since then I have been using the Tyr suits. Due to price I have been staying with the Fusion 2 which fits good and works for me without draining my wallet. When I can find an old Aquapel or Aqua Shift I pick them up. I have 3 I managed to find recently at a great price. My local swim shop also keeps an eye out for me on samples and such.

I had seen the Fusion 2 on swimoutlet.com and it appealed to me because of the price (especially since this is my first tech suit), but quite frankly the price looked too good to be true and I was questioning its quality. Have you had good luck with it? And, thanks for the other advice.

swimshark
November 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I had seen the Fusion 2 on swimoutlet.com and it appealed to me because of the price (especially since this is my first tech suit), but quite frankly the price looked too good to be true and I was questioning its quality. Have you had good luck with it? And, thanks for the other advice.

Donna has some good advice about fit. I tried the Fusion 2 for Nationals and found that the neck came up so high that it felt like it was choking me. I ended up returning it and luckily found 2 Aquapel's for $30 each that I'm using now.

KEWebb18
November 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I wore the TYR Fusion 2 (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5835.htm?color=9325) for this LCM zones this summer. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a suit, and I really wanted to try a more "technical" suit. I had previously worn a Speedo FSII recordbreaker (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2469.htm?color=9325).

I found that the Fusion 2 was really easy to get on and off for a kneeskin. The material had more give to it than what I expected from a tech suit. I got the same size as my training suit. The only problems (other than trying to figure out how to go to the bathroom once I got it on, and that is just because of it being a kneeskin) was that I didn't think that it had a lot of support up top. It was tight around my knees, but I got used to it. Also, the stitching started coming undone along one of the arm holes. I think that the quality has something to do with it, but if you are looking for an "entry-level" suit, this is probably your best bet. I will probably wear it again. I can't speak to how it will hold up over a season, as I only wore it for 1 day of a 2-day meet.

Donna
November 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
The Fusion 2 has been fine for me. In my case I normally wear a 38 for practice but in a tech suit I usually go down to a 34. I also keep a 36 around just for longer races. I find I don't want as much compression on the 1650 or 1000 races since they are so long so I opt for a 36 for those races then change into a 34 or when I am under 170 I will drag out my old 32.

Since my weight varies sometimes I have several different suits at different sizes for different races.

For your first outing pay the extra and get fitted for the right suit, every body is different and so are the suits.

debaru
November 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I got really lucky with my first (and so far only) tech suit. Based on the reviews in a recent SWIMMER issue, I decided to try a suit from AGON. I used their sizing chart and ordered a Streamline Knee Length Pro-back (fully lined). I chose a Blue/Black Splice design, which they fabricated for me. It took just over 3 weeks for me to get it and it fit like a glove. And, it only cost me $91 and change including shipping.

I tried it out in the pool for a long workout and loved it, and yesterday I wore it in an OW event (see attached picture). It performed beautifully.

http://forums.usms.org/picture.php?albumid=215&pictureid=1536

swimshark
November 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Also, the stitching started coming undone along one of the arm holes. I think that the quality has something to do with it, but if you are looking for an "entry-level" suit, this is probably your best bet. I will probably wear it again. I can't speak to how it will hold up over a season, as I only wore it for 1 day of a 2-day meet.

On mine the stitching started coming undone at in the back. That, and the bad fit on me, is why I returned it. You could see skin where the stitching hadn't taken right. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue with the Fusion.

pwb
November 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
My teenaged daughter likes the TYR Tracer Light -- http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/11289.htm -- which is one of the most reasonably priced of the technical suits. Hers has stood up to 3 competition meets and she swims distance events. I wear the men's jammer version and find the compression and material quite good -- tight and feels sturdier than some of the more expensive suits.

My daughter's friends have had loads of problems with all variants of the Speedo technical suits. One has returned 3 suits for rips after single swims.

Jazz Hands
November 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
My teenaged daughter likes the TYR Tracer Light -- http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/11289.htm -- which is one of the most reasonably priced of the technical suits. Hers has stood up to 3 competition meets and she swims distance events. I wear the men's jammer version and find the compression and material quite good -- tight and feels sturdier than some of the more expensive suits.

My daughter's friends have had loads of problems with all variants of the Speedo technical suits. One has returned 3 suits for rips after single swims.

I also vote for the Tracer Light. I have a jammer that's lasted me for several meets and it hasn't thinned or stretched.

couldbebetterfly
November 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM

I bought the Fusion 2 this summer after trying the Speedo Aquablade on, and it gave me flabby bulges where there were none originally! I then decided I really needed a kneeskin. For the price I am happy with it, although I have had some stitching come loose, probably 4th time out. Also I'm not at my swimming peak right now so couldn't justifly spending big $$.

My previous tech suit experience was one of the older Speedo fastskins with full legs and zipper. For me I tend to find Speedo a better fit, and the Fastskin is way better IMO than the TYR, but I reckon a lot of it is down to the extra coverage. The Fusion does do the job of keeping my hips high in the water though.

As for sizing, I wear 34 endurance, 32 lycra and bought 30 Fusion, although I could have probably gone down to a 28.

ande
November 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I like the speedo pro

2010 Approved Womens Tech Suits (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=279)

2010 Approved Mens Tech Suits (http://www.swimoutlet.com/SearchResults.asp?Click=766231&Cat=278)

__steve__
November 8th, 2010, 07:32 AM
You might find fsII's fairly cheap at local shops these days, <70$

kgernert
November 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Anyone had any luck with the Nike Hydra suits?

TheCaveman
February 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I'm swimming through rotator cuff tears and looking for a [banned] full length (with arms) compression suit for training purposes. Does anyone know who may be clearing out the banned tech suits and/or have any recommendations. I've searched without luck through Google.

kgernert
February 12th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I'm swimming through rotator cuff tears and looking for a [banned] full length (with arms) compression suit for training purposes. Does anyone know who may be clearing out the banned tech suits and/or have any recommendations. I've searched without luck through Google.

Swim Outlet has this one available, but only in a small. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/14441.htm While they may not have your size, they perhaps could tell you where to try? Good luck in your search and sorry about your injury.

TheCaveman
February 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks....I saw that one. My thinking was that the sleeves would help stabilize the shoulder during practice. I'm still striking out...it looks like they simply pulled the banned suits from the market.

couldbebetterfly
February 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Ebay? I've not looked but there might be a few suppliers trying to shift end of lines, or swimmers that have once or twice-worn suits that they're trying to get a few $$ back?

swimfree
February 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM
How about just getting a rash-guard shirt? If you get it small enough it can be restrictive in the arms.

chowmi
February 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I know there are many of you out there with strong feelings against technical suits. While I respect your opinions, I am wanting to try a technical suit for the SCY 2011 state/national meets. What I am looking for here are suggestions, tips, and/or recommendations from people who are using technical suits as to what I should be looking for - other than "FINA approved". If you have any advice for someone looking to buy her first technical suit, please let me know. If it makes a difference, I am focusing on mainly freestyle and fly.

Thanks!

If price is an issue, then go with the earlier models/least expensive suits with the best fit for you. When in doubt on size, pick the one that you think will feel the least distracting when you have to wear it for hours and sit in it all damp. Keep in mind you can probably take it off your shoulders, but you probably will be wearing it on the bottom for the duration of your meets.

As a FIRST time buyer/user, I also recommend earlier model suits within each brand because they will be most familiar in feel as suits you are already used to. The technology aspect of the suit won't matter so much in a first time user - because you simply have to get used to swimming in a suit that goes to the knees, and also learning through trial & error on fit and feel.

A first suit is only that; you should expect to buy more in the future. At which point the first suit becomes your backup suit, and so on. So I wouldn't approach it like there is one Right Answer, simply the first one that you buy, and you always can try a different suit the next time.

Dpending on your relationship with teammates, you can also borrow someone's suit!

I do not recommend the BlueSeventy for a first time buyer. I love mine, but I think there are better all-purpose fit and feel suits. It has an extremely small rear end and small chest for the same size as Speedo, so unless you are very fit and have the body line, then this suit is NOT for you!

I recommend the Speedo FSPRo over the LZR Elite for a first time buyer. The Pro is more identifiable in the material feel, and for a first time user, I think there is very little difference in the tech aspect. In particular, I think the no-seam aspect of the latest models can be quite distracting - so for that reason and because the FSPRo fits just as well as the Elite - I would recommend the FSPRo over anything else for the first time buyer.

orca1946
February 12th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Off topic, but why can't guys wear the same yardage suits as women now rather than go back to jammers ??

griffink3
February 29th, 2012, 09:43 PM

How about this yingfa full body suit?
http://www.yingfa.us/products/Yingfa-978-Lightning-Sharkskin-Full-Body-Suit.html
It's rather cheap for a full body suit, and I heard some good things about yingfa.

ande
March 2nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
I've written a lot about Tech Suits in Swim Faster Faster (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=256434&postcount=1731)

The Fortress
March 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Off topic, but why can't guys wear the same yardage suits as women now rather than go back to jammers ??

Think of it this way. Typically, in practice, women wear tanks and men wear briefs. The leg coverage of the tech suits (jammers men, kneeskin women) give both genders the same extra coverage for meets. Giving men double extra coverage would therefore be unfair.

You and Jimby will just have to suppress your desire to dress like women.

On another note, a friend forwarded me this link re: womens FS3:
http://forum.collegeswimming.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5777

And I found this one: Big10s Swimming Championshiops 2012 - FS3 Controversy - YouTube
This says supposedly you're supposed to wear the FS3 6-8 x before the target race.

ande
March 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
Think of it this way. Typically, in practice, women wear tanks and men wear briefs. The leg coverage of the tech suits (jammers men, kneeskin women) give both genders the same extra coverage for meets. Giving men double extra coverage would therefore be unfair.
On another note, a friend forwarded me this link re: womens FS3:
http://forum.collegeswimming.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5777

I am FOR tech suit equality between men & women & either way is fine with me.

jim thornton
March 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Several points:

I am making progress on eliminating my cross dressing inclinations
My main point was that the change in suits affects men much more significantly than women, and I still maintain this is the case.
The thing I miss most about the fuller coverage for men was that it eliminates the need to shave your torso, which is a major pain. When the hair grows back, the itching involved summons to mind an attack by fire ants.
One of the factors that has helped me adjust to the lack of body suits is that it doesn't seem to hurt me MORE than most of my competitors in the age group. The effects are either neutral or slightly positive. This may have to do with my generally weak physique, where no bulging muscles require compressing; or it may be due to my hirsutism, which means that shaving might confer more benefit to me than to more naturally hairless type guys.
But the biggest factor is that I am absolutely certain the difference between the world's most expensive technical jammer, and the world's most affordable technical jammer, is not terribly significant, which is in keeping with the spirit of the FINA ruling. The thought of paying $404.95 Arena Powerskin R-EVO + Men's Open Water Suit (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/33913.htm), for example, is absurd to me when I could spend $97.95 for a TYR Tracer Light Jammer (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/11284.htm) or $49.95 Speedo Aquablade Male Jammer (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1418.htm). I would be shocked if any of these suits made more than a tenth of a second or so difference per 50. You women, on the other hand, are still every bit as caught up in the marketing hype of the Speedo's and Arena's as you were at the height of the floatie suit era. The reason: contrary to the spirit of the FINA ruling, you honestly believe (and probably with good reason) that it's still possible to buy speed--not just a few hundredths of a second of speed, but significant time drops, all thanks to body coverage and torso compression. You also have to worry about spending a lot of time at each meet suiting up without busting your $600 investment! How I pity you!

The Fortress
March 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
1. Very good Jimby.
2. Probably true, but you know that so you can factor that in in analyzing the difference in your pre and post tech suit times.
3. I can see why that would be a complete drag for men.
4. I am likewise less effected by the loss of tech suits than some of my competitors. And I have my theories about that, which I know I've posted elsewhere.
5. That $404 Arena suit is for OW only and can't be used in the pool. So you can't use that for cost comparisons. You should be very happy you can get a good suit for much less than women. I'm not sure anyone thinks you can buy more time with X brand of kneeskin. But I know that I want to get the fastest suit for me, and fastest may be dictated by fit since they are all very similar suits. I don't know any masters women that have sprung for the $595 FS3. I'm not; and the reviews are not good to date. For the suit I recently ordered, which I desperately needed, I was between sizes, so ordered up to avoid undue tightness/possible busting. I just swam well in a very stretched out LZR with small holes, so I'm not sure I need to shove my body into the smallest imaginable size and risk a tear. I've recently found that Glide helps get into tech suits very quickly.

orca1946
March 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Dress like women :cheerleader:- talk like women:blah: -make sense like women :worms: ----------:bolt:

Jazz Hands
March 6th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'll just say that I really wish the situation was the same as in 2004. You could get a full-body suit but it barely mattered. Gary Hall won the gold medal in a jammer. And you only had to shave arms and ankles omg that would be so great.

ClubSwim Incorp
February 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Hey Kgernert -

If you haven't already, check out "Top Tech Suits Compared - the Gangloff Review", this should help you choose the best technical suit for you! You can find it on our SwimOutlet.com Blog here (http://www.swimoutlet.com/blog/top-tech-suits-compared-the-gangloff-review).

Hope this helps!

- SwimOutlet.com

sok454
February 27th, 2013, 11:01 PM
My new jammers just came in for my race this weekend. I got a pair of speedo endurance. Nothing special but they are tighter than the isports I wear for practice. Feel like the compress much better than others did originally. If I meet my goals this weekend ill move up to a basic technical for state in April.

ALLISONWARE
February 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM
The article was helpful, I enjoyed both male & female reviews. BUT - I would like to see some reviews of the mid-range and/or "entry level" tech suits as well. I can't fathom paying $250+ for a swimsuit I'm only going to wear a few times, even if it is nationals! I would like to consider the ones at/around the $200 level, but want the most bang for my buck. Sadly, I'm not able to really get much quality review on the suits at those levels outside of the obligatory - daughter wore it & got a PR, great! - that I think most of these suits would be able to provide simply due to the compression fit & tapered status of the swimmer.

Thoughts?

habu987
February 28th, 2013, 06:03 PM
My rationale for buying tech suits these days is that I buy one for spring Nats and then wear it to all meets for the next 12 months till the next Nats, when I get a new suit, and repeat the process. That way I get a brand new suit for Nats and then get a still pretty good suit for the next 12 meets or so before I replace it.

For example, I'm planning on replacing my FSII jammers from last year's spring Nats with an Arena Powerskin Carbon Pro for Nats in May. By the time I make the switch, I'll have gotten 10 meets out of the FSII. At $105 for the suit, that comes out to $10.50 per wear. I'll take that. Even at $350 or $400 for the PCP (depending on which model I get), spread out over the 12-13 meets I plan to do between this spring Nats and the next one, that comes out to ~$30 per wear. Given how much I spend on food and beverages on a given weekend (as an example to compare costs), I think that is an absolutely reasonable price per wear!

mlabresh
February 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I bought my first tech suit last summer before going to Summer Nats. I got the Finals X-Cellertator. It came down to a choice between that or the TYR Fusion. I didn't want to spend a lot on it as it was my first time purchasing a tech suit and it was my first meet... EVER. The reason I went with the Finals suit over the TYR was both for the fit and the durability. I love the suit I picked! From the reviews, I determined the TYR would be a bit too long for me as I'm rather short (only 5'2") and several people complained that it went past their knees on the average height bodies. I also read that the Finals suit was more durable. I've had NO problems with my suit. No rips, no tears, no drag, no holding water.. I'm completely happy with it and would definitely buy one again (though I'd also really like to try some of the pricier ones :)).

__steve__
February 28th, 2013, 08:39 PM
2012 was a good year for tech suits. Saving up for another TYR AP12 for August

ekw
March 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM
On the subject of cheaper women's tech suits, for what it's worth:

I started swimming again in August of this year and have done six meets in that time. In December (after I'd done three meets) I bought my first racing suit - the Tyr Fusion 2 kneeskin. I'm not sure I'd really call it a tech suit, but the price was right and I wanted to see how the kneeskin style felt. I was worried about the leg length on it since I'd heard it ran long and I am 5'5" but it's fine on me (though I am a bit short-waisted).

I probably should have gone one more size down (I went down one from my practice suit size). I have swum faster in it, but I'm also in better shape and these were my first meets in better pools with automatic timing. I feel like it does pull some things in and compress a bit, but not as much as I gather a fancier tech suit would. However, I think it's definitely a faster suit than a polyester practice suit.

I know one forumite whose name escapes me at this moment told me that she prefers the low-end Arena kneeskin (about $120 if I recall correctly) to the Fusion.

swimslick
March 1st, 2013, 12:34 PM
On the subject of cheaper women's tech suits, for what it's worth:
I feel like it does pull some things in and compress a bit, but not as much as I gather a fancier tech suit would.

I did the same last year, where I found an old Speedo Aquablade kneeskin on ebay for about $50. My first knee-length 'tech' suit and I thought it was fine. I gather lower-end tech suits like the Xcellerator, Fusion, and the Yingfa kneeskins are in the same realm.

Later on I was able to score a Nike Hydra 1 kneeskin also on eBay for ~$80. At that point that particular model was a few years old or something, and its original retail was $275 I think. COMPLETE TOTAL difference compared to the Aquablade. It even ended up being a size or two larger that what would have been ideal, but I STILL felt that it had a far better cut and a ton more compression than the Aquablade. It felt totally awesome in the water, way less water retention....a HUGE difference in my opinion. I recall thinking to myself, "so THIS is what a REAL tech suit feels like!" after diving into the water for warm up lol. But I have to admit, while it definitely felt superior I can't say it it had a huge affect on my times ;)

So if you don't want to break the bank, I would advise tracking down late-model/discontinued higher-end tech suits. While the technology isn't the current-best-on-the-market, you will still get the techy-ness but without the crazy costs. I know metroswimshop has lots of the late-model Nike Hydras and Swifts for ~$150 or so. Check eBay too, you can find great deals there as well. I am curious about the $120 Arena kneeskin......

Atlantic
March 1st, 2013, 03:17 PM
Anyone had any luck with the Nike Hydra suits? I own a couple of the original Hydras. I really like them, have used them for several swims and they are still going strong. Great material and fit!

ekw
March 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM
I own a couple of the original Hydras. I really like them, have used them for several swims and they are still going strong. Great material and fit!

How does the sizing run on the Hydra? It looks like it uses the same size numbers as their regular suits so did you just go down 1-2 for it?

Atlantic
March 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM
How does the sizing run on the Hydra? It looks like it uses the same size numbers as their regular suits so did you just go down 1-2 for it?

I went down one size in the Hydra.