PDA

View Full Version : Swim 1 hr every other day or 1/2 hr daily?

Bobby Hill
November 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Hi, first time poster here.
I was wondering if someone can comment on if swimming 30 minutes a day everyday is better, or 1 hour every other day? Sometimes it's tough to find the time to go the pool so I feel I should swim as long as I can to make the trip worth while when I do have a bit of free time. But for better conditioning and stamina, which way is better? half hour everyday of 1 hr every other day? Thanks.

I should point out that I'm a decent swimmer, although I become exhausted if I swim hard longer than 1 hour.

fmracing
November 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Of those two choices... swim 1 hr every other. You can barely even get warmed up in 30 min.

magick17
November 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'd do the 1 hr every other day....1/2 to me is warm up and I love to swim LONG sessions. Other than that it seems silly to get wet for 30min swim.

rtodd
November 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Go with the 1 hr session. 1 hour is the bare minimum to get warmed up and do one or two meaningful sets with a "Chris Stevenson 50" warm down.

fmracing
November 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Go with the 1 hr session. 1 hour is the bare minimum to get warmed up and do one or two meaningful sets with a "Chris Stevenson 50" warm down.

Minimum depends who you talk to... but imo 30 min isn't enough.

orca1946
November 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Swim m-w-f then go to the gym t- th to get a better mix.

Allen Stark
November 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
This is a tough one.I think in general the every other day would be better,but both are in a way marginal.Everyone is different,but as a general rule of thumb it takes at least 4 times a week of some exercise to show steady improvement.Clearly, every other day is less than 4 times a week.In general 60 min is more than twice as good as 30 min because of the warm up and cool down,but it is certainly much better than nothing.Depending on your conditioning and focus 30 min may be better for you if your stroke is getting ragged in the longer workouts.I would really suggest you try to get some sort of workout at least 4 days a week.

Bobby Hill
November 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Yes ideally I'd swim an hour for each session, and for several days a week. But sometimes I can only squeze out half an hour at the pool. Sometimes I think why bother going if I only have 30 minutes to swim, plus the time spent commuting, changing, etc.....But than I figure it's still better than nothing.

Swimosaur
November 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Short sessions can be useful

When I was just starting again, after a 30+ year layoff, 30 minute sessions were very productive. I was out of shape, so all I could do was 5x200 free with lots of rest in between. After 1000 yards, I was done. I didn't want to swim any longer than that.

After a few months, I was in good enough shape to swim a 1650, but then I found other productive uses for short lunchtime sessions. Last winter I decided I wanted to swim the 400 IM at Auburn, despite not swimming a single stroke of butterfly in over 30 years. When you're just starting, how long can you swim butterfly before you're ready to get out of the pool? Not very long. How many 400 IMs can you do? One is enough! I figured out how I wanted to swim a 400 IM using only short 30 minute sessions.

Right now I'm using them for race pace training. I warm up a few hundred, then try to hit target 200 pace for a few 50s, a couple of 100s, or a 150. I can't do many reps at that intensity, so after 30 minutes, it's enough.

Some days it's the only time I have in the pool, so that's also a win.

Short sessions can be very useful.

Herb
November 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
For the last two years I have focused on distance and open water only during the summer where I swim a lot of yards three times a week. I think it would work out well for me if I switched to 5 days for 1/2 hour for a couple of months when I switch to sprints in the winter.

I find a lot of value in the 1/2 hour workout when doing sprints and especially butterfly. It just tires me out way too much to do any more than that anyway. As it is though it is a struggle to make it to the pool 3 times a week and I plan to up it to four for 3 months from Jan-March. In order to pull that off I've got to squeeze in at least 1 mini workout. I might have a butterfly day, where I do a warm up and then something like 8x25s or 3 50s and I'm done. That's all I can manage and a lot of aerobic work or kicking on those days just seems to detract. I've never found the value in all this warm-up yardage anyway.