PDA

View Full Version : Humans Can't Walk or Swim Straight

swimmerb212
November 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Just saw this news story:
http://www.newser.com/story/105903/humans-cant-walk-straight-scientists.html

It's so true. Some mornings I try swimming with my eyes closed, and I can't go more than three strokes without hitting the lane line. But according to the article, no one knows why this is the case. And makes me all the more impressed with blind people who get around just fine.

orca1946
November 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Cuz we do every thing with our eyes open, closing them changes this. When blind, the eyes are not the central info gathering organ - imho

gdanner
November 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Kinda funny this article came about three days after Swimming World posted this video of a GMU swimmer doing a 50 free with blacked out goggles: http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/events/2010-speedo-tom-dolan-invitational/workouts/7499

I realize they're referencing much longer distances, but kinda cool nonetheless.

Speedo
November 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Kinda funny this article came about three days after Swimming World posted this video of a GMU swimmer doing a 50 free with blacked out goggles: http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/events/2010-speedo-tom-dolan-invitational/workouts/7499

I realize they're referencing much longer distances, but kinda cool nonetheless.:applaud:

Redbird Alum
November 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM
What about humans born blind? Can they walk or swim straight? They have no visual queue dependency.

Allen Stark
November 30th, 2010, 06:48 PM

I realize they're referencing much longer distances, but kinda cool nonetheless.

This gets my vote for the dumbest workout idea,beating the previous winner,the Auburn sprint til you puke workout.
Notice how he jammed his turn,he was very close to smashing his heals.He glided the finish which was wise,but certainly not a great race.
I sometimes swim with my eyes closed as a drill my stroke count,but I can open them any time and don't have a coach I am trying to please watching.

Speedo
November 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM
....but certainly not a great race.You're right- he would have been under 20 if he were racing- as this was just a drill. I don't see any disadvantage in dialing in a 50 that well.

Allen Stark
November 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM
You're right- he would have been under 20 if he were racing- as this was just a drill. I don't see any disadvantage in dialing in a 50 that well.

Break your heels on the turn,break your fingers on the finish for 2.

gdanner
November 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
This gets my vote for the dumbest workout idea,beating the previous winner,the Auburn sprint til you puke workout.
Notice how he jammed his turn,he was very close to smashing his heals.He glided the finish which was wise,but certainly not a great race.
I sometimes swim with my eyes closed as a drill my stroke count,but I can open them any time and don't have a coach I am trying to please watching.

The Auburn thing was a big joke they put on specifically for floswimming...it wasn't a real set that they do. Auburn admitted as much.

It does seem surprising a coach would risk something like that, but it's really no different than knowing your stroke count from the backstroke flags. Extended out a bit, but with enough practice, the risk is presumably minimal.

pendaluft
December 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm with Allen -- I guess they wouldn't have posted the video if he'd slipped off the wet blocks while unable to see, and missed a nice piece of the season due to injury. Or smashed his feet on the turn.

Then everyone would be yelling about what a dumb thing to do this was.

But I was always too cautious...and still am.

swimmerb212
December 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I got really nervous for him at that turn, this drill is not worth breaking a foot.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and question if he could really see nothing at all in those goggles. Even if some light shines through, that could give him a visual point of reference. But I did find his search for the block quite comical.

But I'm still really impressed, and would like to see if he could do something like that in open water, or even long course.