PDA

View Full Version : Race organization - done it?

Ripple
December 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here ever organized an open water race?
Was it a lot of work? Difficult to find volunteers? Where did you find things like marker buoys?

Hoosier
December 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Bopuys.....dont get me started..

gregoc
December 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Just out of curiosity,
has anyone here ever organized an open water race?

Was it a lot of work?

Difficult to find volunteers?

Where did you find things like marker buoys?

Yes
Oh, YES
Very
Believe it or not, Amazon.com

swimthegoodfight
December 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
doesn't USMS have a pdf for just such an inquiry?

'gregoc' hosts a great race by the way - practically moves mountains annually with that one, but mountains move much easier once started in the right direction - a trick is to never stop pushing!

best of luck

Betsy
December 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
My experience with running an open water event was much easier that running a meet. It is a mile ocean swim, point to point.
The biggest problem was getting permission from the city because we want to have a vehicle on the boardwalk.
The lifeguards handle safety for us. The volunteers are:
At the start - check-in, writing numbers on the swimmers, starter, someone to start watches, someone to walk along the beach to record any dropouts.
At the finish - someone to direct swimmers to the finish line/chute, timer and recorder, someone to give out place cards as they finish, 2 people to record results.

Hoosier
December 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Sorry about the Bouy post, realized that was not helpful... I have a excellent idea, my daughter and I will be having our second Swim for Kids Sake iat Beautiful Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver, IN on August 27th. Why not come help us?, learn all you want to know about open water swimming...not that we know it all, something always pops up to teach you...lol.....safety first is our command. Last year we did 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 and 10k...all for charity.
:)

Ripple
December 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Sorry about the Bouy post, realized that was not helpful... I have a excellent idea, my daughter and I will be having our second Swim for Kids Sake iat Beautiful Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver, IN on August 27th. Why not come help us?, learn all you want to know about open water swimming...not that we know it all, something always pops up to teach you...lol.....safety first is our command. Last year we did 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 and 10k...all for charity.
:)
I've swum a handful of races, so I have a rough idea of how they go together. Indiana is a bit out of my way, but that's a good idea about apprenticing. I was sort of hoping to get a low-key event together for June of next year, but perhaps that's a bit optimistic. I'll wait to see if Swim Saskatchewan gets back to me, otherwise I might be going back to Alberta to see if I can brazenly plagiarize ideas from their annual open water championship. Maybe a cable swim - we don't have them here, but they sound like an easier event from an organization standpoint.
One of the lakes here is salt water. Supposedly you couldn't sink if you wanted to. Brine shrimp with a touch of magnesium anyone? :D

gregoc
December 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
You can get bouys from Meetsupplys through Amazon. They are well made and not very expensive.

Betsy
December 8th, 2010, 04:02 PM
If there is a local triathlon, you might be able to borrow some buoys. We have our own, from a boating supply (I think), but we have borrowed and lent buoys with triathlon organizers.

JGreen
December 14th, 2010, 09:37 AM
My friend and I are venturing out into race organization for the first time next year by putting together a 1 mile and 8.12 mile race in the Great Salt Lake.

My biggest concern has been making sure the race is as safe as possible for the swimmers.

I have been helping out another race director here for the past few years and have learned a lot by "apprenticing".

If anyone will be in Salt Lake on June 11, we would love to have you swim with us!

aurora
December 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
My swim coach does race direction if your looking for some one to organize an event. We hold the Diamond lake open water swim in MI ever year. I have worked close with him on this race. Buoys we found from a friend that runs a Tri every year. You can get blow up ones thats what we used and there less costly. You have to tie them to cinder blocks though so they don't move. having a well buoyed off area is good as it allows for less problems for swimmer and there safety. You have to get some permits to close the lake off to boats to keep it safe and to have a sheriff on the lake to let people know they cant cross into the swim area.Getting people in kayaks and jet skis and boat is good for safety. If you have a long swim like 10k feeding station is a must. We used a a big boat as the feeding station with a bright orange buoy on it so people knew were to go. Large buoys to mark the end are good. There is a lot but it can be done. Knowing how to do it or helping with a race is key before doing it because at the end of the day your responsible for the swimmers. You can take a race directors class and that helps to know all the paper work and rules, plus you get certification and you and do other races for people. Good luck!