PDA

View Full Version : VCD?

EdC
December 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I just finished all pulmonary tests and had a final meeting with my pulmonologist. My lungs are operating at 97% efficiency. My readings show that 5 to 15% of swimmers diagnosed with EIA are really having problems with vocal cord disorder. (Paradoxal Vocal Cord Motion Disorder). This problem has not been widely researched with most readings dated 2008 and later. Next week I'm off to see a ENT guy who hopefully knows something about this problem and can help. Anyone out there with a similar problem? I still can not do more than 75 meters freestyle without gasping for air.

norascats
December 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I had that problem and resolved it with the tempo trainer. I set it at 3 seconds and breathe on the beep. I went from 75 yards to 50 lengths in one session.
It is important to time your stroke to your breathing so your oxygen levels are balanced. I also find that my first 400 yards are the hardest, after that my breathing adjusts. And The shortness of breath goes away.

EdC
December 15th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Norascats: Did a ENT guy suggest this or did you find it out of Master Swimming? Did you have other exercises that caused VCD or only swimming? I have not heard of a tempo trainer. Is it something attached to your goggles?
Ed

norascats
December 18th, 2010, 08:41 AM
The Tempo Trainer is a timer that clips to your goggles.
I know nothing about VCD or ENT or most other initials. As an old woman, I stay away from doctors unless I'm sick. I do have a touch of asthma, which responds nicely to OTC Primatene mist when I need it.
Timing my swimming to match my breathing has given me more stamina in the pool. I firmly believe that the simplest remedy should be tried first.

swimshark
December 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I had that problem and resolved it with the tempo trainer. I set it at 3 seconds and breathe on the beep. I went from 75 yards to 50 lengths in one session.
It is important to time your stroke to your breathing so your oxygen levels are balanced. I also find that my first 400 yards are the hardest, after that my breathing adjusts. And The shortness of breath goes away.

That's interesting to me. I'm finding lately that when I get in the pool, the first 1000 or so I'm having a hard time catching my breath. Once I get that warm-up done, I feel better and can breathe better. I have never been tested for asthma nor any pulmonary issues. I think part of my problem is the pool I'm in. It's totally closed up over night and we're the first people in. The air is stagnant and stale making it hard to breathe in right on the surface.

Bobinator
December 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM
That's interesting to me. I'm finding lately that when I get in the pool, the first 1000 or so I'm having a hard time catching my breath. Once I get that warm-up done, I feel better and can breathe better. I have never been tested for asthma nor any pulmonary issues. I think part of my problem is the pool I'm in. It's totally closed up over night and we're the first people in. The air is stagnant and stale making it hard to breathe in right on the surface.

I can totally relate to what you are saying Shark! On bad days I'll even do open turns the first 500 or so in an effort to get a good O2 balance.
I've also noticed that I need a warm-up of at least 1,000 yds. in order to have a good workout. Whenever I have to take a shorter warm-up (about half the time) I just don't feel as comfortable, powerful, or in sync during the rest of the workout. The older I get the more true this becomes! :chillpill: