PDA

View Full Version : Timing of Weight Lifting Workouts

jab99d
December 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I was wondering when the optimal time is to do weight lifting workouts? Specifically, before or after a swim workout? And also, on the same day as a swim workout or the day before or the day after? (I'm fairly new to swimming and only swimming twice a week at the moment.)

I've noticed that when I lift the day after a hard swim workout I can't do as much weight and feel like I may be more prone to injury. If I lift the day before a hard swim workout, it seems like my swim workout may be less productive. So I was thinking that maybe it would be best to hit the gym right after the pool, that way I can get the training load on the same day and have optimal recovery between workouts.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just can't seem to find info on this. Also, are there any "strength training for swimmers" books you would suggest. Thanks for any help!

JimRude
December 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I was wondering when the optimal time is to do weight lifting workouts? Specifically, before or after a swim workout? And also, on the same day as a swim workout or the day before or the day after? (I'm fairly new to swimming and only swimming twice a week at the moment.)

I've noticed that when I lift the day after a hard swim workout I can't do as much weight and feel like I may be more prone to injury. If I lift the day before a hard swim workout, it seems like my swim workout may be less productive. So I was thinking that maybe it would be best to hit the gym right after the pool, that way I can get the training load on the same day and have optimal recovery between workouts.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just can't seem to find info on this. Also, are there any "strength training for swimmers" books you would suggest. Thanks for any help!

Until recently I lifted at night, after my (mid day) swim workout - if I did one. About 6 months ago I started lifting first thing in the morning, and then swimming mid day or in the pm. This has made a huge difference - I am more motivated to lift, and am able to put in a better effort. On the other hand, I am even less motivated to swim...

As to my routine, it is based on the fact that I will never (again) swim anything longer than a 100. So I focus on strength and explosiveness.

I do lots of push-ups, pull/chin-ups, plyo's, squats and lunges, wall squats, curls and triceps extensions. And core work. Basically, a derivative of the P90X routine.

YMMV.

funkyfish
December 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
My :2cents:

Give yourself one or more days to recover after a hard workout (either swim or weights). Seems pretty logical that if you swim or lift hard on day one, then day two's effort will be diminished, because most people will need more than 24hrs to fully recover.

For myself, on the days I lift, if I swim, I only do 1-2k yds, and it's drills and stroke refinement, nothing challenging. If I do a hard swim the day before I lift, I know that my lifting will be off and adjust weights accordingly.
:banana: