PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent water in nose

W Vivian
December 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
How do you prevent water from going up your nose when you are doing the backstroke?:)
W Vivian

W Vivian
December 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM
:angel:

USMS Fan
December 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Funny you should ask. I was in China last week. I saw several people swimming with ear plugs in their noses.

fmracing
December 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Blow air out your nose :)

It's gonna happen every now and then though no matter what you do, you just kinda get used to it.

ElaineK
December 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Get a nose clip! It really helps on the turns; especially on SDK. I find I can go further, knowing there is no chance of water going up my nose! :drown:

moodyrichardson
December 15th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Yes. I used the wire nose clips! I find that I can go faster, if I'm not worrying about water up the nose on backstroke!

lefty
December 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Blow air out your nose :)

It's gonna happen every now and then though no matter what you do, you just kinda get used to it.

And the best way to blow air out of your nose is to hum. Trust me on this, you can hum alot longer than you can blow air straight out your nose.

orca1946
December 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Water cannot go where air is coming out. So , blow gently out of your nose whenever in water .

couldbebetterfly
December 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Water cannot go where air is coming out. So , blow gently out of your nose whenever in water .

Very gently or you lose too much air and need to breathe before you are ready to surface........

says she who only figured this out this morning.

swim53
December 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Humming is a great idea, lefty! You can keep water outta your nose plus entertain the person next to you.

lefty
December 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Humming is a great idea, lefty! You can keep water outta your nose plus entertain the person next to you.

well yes, I suppose so! But it also the easiest way to blow out gently. Again, try it and you'll see for yourself. It is way easier than simply blowing gently out your nose.

aquageek
December 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
well yes, I suppose so! But it also the easiest way to blow out gently. Again, try it and you'll see for yourself. It is way easier than simply blowing gently out your nose.

I gave this a whirl this morning and it did not go well. I'll keep at it.

evilwatersprite
December 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I find all my SDK'ing/nose-bubble-blowing/humming either makes me extra thirsty or scratches my throat. During back sets, I go for the water bottle every 200-400 yards.

Anybody else?

ande
December 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
I can flex the muscles in middle of my nose in such a way that I seal off my nasal passages, no water gets in. I call it the Nasal pinch

orca1946
December 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
WOW ! Another excersize to do at the gym !!

geochuck
December 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
The best advice given for not getting water in your nose - an Italian woman once told her children "If you don't go near the water you won't drown." also you will not get water up your nose.

Or purse your lips like this -

thewookiee
December 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
The best advice given for not getting water in your nose - an Italian woman once told her children "If you don't go near the water you won't drown."

Or purse your lips like this -

I use a nose clip. Some backstrokes can close off their nose(ie ande) or purse the lips(like George showed) I am not able to do either of those(or haven't figured out the tricks) so a nose clip works well for me.