PDA

View Full Version : What would Johnny Weissmuller(tarzan)Think?

skipper
December 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I wonder what one of the greatest swimmers of all time would think about all these gadgets like pool bouys, kickboards, paddles,flipflops,nose clips ect..?

Keep afloat
Skipper

:fish2:

thewookiee
December 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I wonder what one of the greatest swimmers of all time would think about all these gadgets like pool bouys, kickboards, paddles,flipflops,nose clips ect..?

Keep afloat
Skipper

Why would his opinion matter anymore than any other swimmer on this forum or in the sport? There are good swimmers that don't use any equipment. There are good swimmers that love to use equipment. Tarzan wouldn't carry anymore weight on the opinion than any other swimmer that uses/doesn't use equipment

fmracing
December 16th, 2010, 12:33 PM
If tarzan was any good he wouldn't have needed a vine or rope.

JimRude
December 16th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Train like Tarzan, race like Jane.

Chris Stevenson
December 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I wonder what one of the greatest swimmers of all time would think about all these gadgets

I don't wonder about this at all. I'd be more interested in the opinion of someone who has trained seriously both with and without "gadgets."

Propensity to injury should always be a prime consideration in any decision to use a training tool, as I think you pointed out in another thread.

jim clemmons
December 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Train like Tarzan, race like Jane.

...or Cheeta!

orca1946
December 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
IMHO - he would be glad to try out some new stuff, rather than the old log push & swim with a pumpkin between the knees !

stillwater
December 16th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Why would his opinion matter anymore than any other swimmer on this forum or in the sport? There are good swimmers that don't use any equipment. There are good swimmers that love to use equipment. Tarzan wouldn't carry anymore weight on the opinion than any other swimmer that uses/doesn't use equipment

Tarzan was a little more than "good". I guess you would take no stock in Phelps', Evans', Spitz's or Chuck Norris' opinion also.

funkyfish
December 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Tarzan was a little more than "good". I guess you would take no stock in Phelps', Evans', Spitz's or Chuck Norris' opinion also.
Chuck Norris doesn't swim, he either walks on the water, or parts it and walks in between.:bow:

dadis
December 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM

His opinion would matter more based on his credentials. 5 Olympic gold medals to start with. Anyway, he would most certainly have his own practice lane, as he seemed to be sporting a knife most of the time. Intimidating.

thewookiee
December 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Nope. There opinions shouldn't carry anymore weight than any other swimmer when it comes to views on equipment.

Redbird Alum
December 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Tarzan use crocodile for kickboard... extra effort when holding mouth shut and trying to kick up-river against added power of croc tail! (Also keeps thighs and calves in extra great shape... loincloth not cover much!)

ekilleen
December 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure his suit wasn't textile....at a minimum he'd be for tech suits, if not crazy workout paraphernalia.

SwimStud
December 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Why are you worried about Olympians opinions on equipment and such? If you're not at that level (and I honestly don't know you) you ought to poll your peer group and find the ones that have had the most improvement and see what they're up to. :2cents:

Unless of course you're suggesting they'd say all this stuff is newfangled and a waste of time. I think anyone from any era who wanted to improve would be interested in new training technology. :2cents:

Ok so it's 4cents...

jim thornton
December 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I concede that Johnny Weismuller's opinion is worth much more than mine. And he's dead.

knelson
December 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I imagine Johnny Weismuller's opinions on how to train swimmers today would be about as valuable as Cy Young's opinions on how to train pitchers or Red Grange's on how to train football players.

Chris Stevenson
December 16th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I concede that Johnny Weismuller's opinion is worth much more than mine. And he's dead.

Now Jim, stop selling yourself short. I value your opinion every bit as much as I value Tarzan's.

swim53
December 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Lighten up you people!
I guess I thought it was an interesting question skipper posted.....sort of on the "light" side.......to balance the Holiday stress.

I'm not going to be personal about this, but...how welcoming are you current regular posters to people who chime in now and then? Do you have any idea how many are viewing but not posting? I believe it's a large number.

How would you feel if you were "newish" and posted something, just to have the 1st response be a shoot-down? :bitching:

ElaineK
December 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM
How would you feel if you were "newish" and posted something, just to have the 1st response be a shoot-down? :bitching:

Hey, I can relate! Just ignore them, because there are a lot of great Forumites out there who are supportive, helpful, and quite kind. I have found more of them actually. :applaud:

It really just comes down to a few who feel the need to put a negative spin on their posts and be critical of others. :worms:

Cheers!
:chug:

jim thornton
December 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Lighten up you people!
I guess I thought it was an interesting question skipper posted.....sort of on the "light" side.......to balance the Holiday stress.

I'm not going to be personal about this, but...how welcoming are you current regular posters to people who chime in now and then? Do you have any idea how many are viewing but not posting? I believe it's a large number.

I agree with you on this. It seemed to me a bit harsh. My great aunt dated Johnny Weismuller, and in many ways, he's almost like family to me. I, for one, would love to hear what he thinks about swim training.

The phenomenon of forum xenophobia is not unheard of, and I think it is kind of like a microcosm for cultural xenophobia on the national scale.

Check out the following link, which I think pretty much sums up the unwelcoming-to-strangers mentality.

PS I think we need more "we don't take kindly to folks who don't take kindly" folks to counteract the forum xenophobes.

Skipper, for what it's worth, I, Jim Thornton, the most universally beloved poster on the USMS swim forums, not to mention the most universally beloved vloggist, as well, welcome you enthusiastically to our peculiar little microcosmic cosmos of swimming-related inanity.

And now for our feature presentation:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151316/not-taking-kindly

skipper
December 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hey no problem...Know need get all serious and all. I thought the question certianly brought allot interesting answers.

:chillpill:

Keep the peace
Skipper

jim thornton
December 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Now Jim, stop selling yourself short. I value your opinion every bit as much as I value Tarzan's.

Interesting that you should feel this way...

Because our opinions are identical!

quicksilver
December 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM

He probably would have embraced every one of them. He's quoted about the lane line innovations. And he was apparently very keen on good technique. Something which all the water toys try to promote.

We didn't have the lane ropes, we had to get up higher in the water to avoid the little waves.
Johnny Weissmuller

Throughout my career I swam for form. Speed came as a result of it.
Johnny Weissmuller

couldbebetterfly
December 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think he'd probably laugh along with a number of us at the amount of toys the triathletes use. But enjoy trying it all out too!

Do you think he'd try to get a swinging-vine start written in the rule book?:D

Lump
December 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Just saw that John Sheffield (Boy) pasted away just 2 months ago. I always loved those Tarzan movies. Growing up in Atlanta I saw them alot on TBS. I always wanted to be Boy and have a pet "Cheetah" :agree:

philoswimmer
December 16th, 2010, 10:04 PM

What I find myself amused by isn't so much the number of types of toys, but the variations on each type of toy. I tried to buy some fins recently, and looking at the huge variety recently reviewed in SWIMMER (some of them pretty goofy looking, but who knows?) you have to wonder how much difference all the shapes and materials make. I know that in some cases they do make a difference, in others it just seems like marketing BS. The problem is that it can be hard to tell the difference.

I ended up with a pair of TYRs, intermediate length. Haven't tried them yet. I picked them because they were the best fit of the ones that the local store carried. I'm curious to see whether they work well for short-fin and long-fin purposes, or whether they're just mediocre at both.

thewookiee
December 17th, 2010, 07:44 AM

That wasn't harsh or a put down. I stated that I don't see why his particular opinion would be of anymore importance than any other swimmer today or from the past that has done this sport

I really just comes down to a few who feel the need to put a negative spin on their posts and be critical of others.

Don't be talkin about Geek that way. He isn't around to defend himself. Nothing was critical or negative. See comments above to address your "negative comment" It was neither harsh nor negative.

geochuck
December 17th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have to laugh. How many of you have spoke to Johnny, how would you even be able to give an answer What would he think?

I am sure would laugh at the question at first. Then give you his answer, I am sure he would try the gadgets out and give you his thoughts which may agree with you or not.

I would more than likely agree with his answer. His first answer would be his elephant call.

ElaineK
December 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Don't be talkin about Geek that way. He isn't around to defend himself. Nothing was critical or negative. See comments above to address your "negative comment" It was neither harsh nor negative.

Geek? I didn't name any names or refer to anything specific. Instead, I was talking in generalities, regarding my personal experiences on the forums, as well as posts I have read directed at others.

thewookiee
December 17th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Geek? I didn't name any names or refer to anything specific. Instead, I was talking in generalities, regarding my personal experiences on the forums, as well as posts I have read directed at others

We all know that you were talkin about ol toothpick legs when you made the comment. I just added the names(probably mine too) so there wouldn't be any doubt about who you were griping at this time,since it wasn't HOA. He's not been negative, just stated his opinions.

aquageek
December 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM
That was me poking fun at old toothpick legs.

Furdumper - 'round here they are called tiny sticks of dynamite. And, I shall remind you that none other than Speedo himself referred to my 1-beat kick as "the most beautiful and glorious kick I have ever seen."

thewookiee
December 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Furdumper - 'round here they are called tiny sticks of dynamite. And, I shall remind you that none other than Speedo himself referred to my 1-beat kick as "the most beautiful and glorious kick I have ever seen."

Look TP, Speedo had to say something after seeing you swim. I am sure that was the most polite way of saying "i ain't ever seen two pieces of straw do so much moving yet go no where at the sametime."

stillwater
December 17th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I think you two cowboys need to go back up the mountain for some alone time.

thewookiee
December 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I think you two cowboys need to go back up the mountain for some alone time.

Stills, how have ya been. We been missing you insightful wisdom on the forums lately. Hope everything is ok. You are such a classy, stand-up person. A role model for us all.

stillwater
December 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Wookster,

I think Kilgor sold us out. This is some heavy stuff, people with six toes, dogs that meow, and sheeple that call themselves swimmers.

I'm going to need to hold off writing for a bit, which doesn't have any meaning due to my time travel helmet.

Good luck . They might be on to you.

I'll be back before you know it.

Maui Mike
December 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Tarzan's says.
http://movie-sounds.net/film/Tarzan-Movie/226/

Maui Mike
December 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
There was a swimmer from Univ of Redlands back in the 60's, Wendall Diggs, who could do the greatest Tarzan yell I've ever heard.

geochuck
December 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Johhny did a great call for us at a prerace dinner in Hamilton Ontario before the 10 mile race at Confederation Park. He was the starter. He started the race with a 10 gauge shot gun.

jim thornton
December 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Johhny did a great call for us at a prerace dinner in Hamilton Ontario before the 10 mile race at Confederation Park. He was the starter. He started the race with a 10 gauge shot gun.

If any of you are on Facebook, I highly recommend befriending George, my Canadian daddy who is still trying to get me covered under the Canadian universal health care system, and watching his very smooth freestyle swimming in what appears to be a Mexican resort complete with submerged Mai Tai and Pina Colada bar.

Sure, the beverages are relaxing, but even us teetotallers can find peace in watching George's lovely and langurous freestyle as he crosses the vacationer-dappled curvilinear resort pool.

Johnny would have no doubt given him a thumbs up!

Chicken of the Sea
December 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM
If any of you are on Facebook, I highly recommend befriending George, my Canadian daddy who is still trying to get me covered under the Canadian universal health care system, and watching his very smooth freestyle swimming in what appears to be a Mexican resort complete with submerged Mai Tai and Pina Colada bar.

Sure, the beverages are relaxing, but even us teetotallers can find peace in watching George's lovely and langurous freestyle as he crosses the vacationer-dappled curvilinear resort pool.

Johnny would have no doubt given him a thumbs up!

It really IS calming to watch George swim past all those tourists as if they're not even there.

Now that school's out for a few weeks I've finally been able to close the textbooks and read "Wind, Waves, and Sunburn", in which George features many times.

geochuck
December 20th, 2010, 12:03 AM
It really IS calming to watch George swim past all those tourists as if they're not even there.

Now that school's out for a few weeks I've finally been able to close the textbooks and read "Wind, Waves, and Sunburn", in which George features many times.

Wind Waves and Sunburn is a pretty accurate little read. I had a great time during those days. I always remember telling Billy Barton about the Sharks that swam up the St Lawrence River, then swimming up the Saguenay River into the Bai De Ha Ha which of course was a fabrication. I tried my best to phyc everyone. The odd Baluga did do that swim into the Bai de Ha Ha. Or telling other swimmers that I used Slones Linament as my drink to keep me warm in cold water.

BillS
December 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
There was a swimmer from Univ of Redlands back in the 60's, Wendall Diggs, who could do the greatest Tarzan yell I've ever heard.

Better even than Carol Burnett?

Wow, I'm old...

ElaineK
December 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Better even than Carol Burnett?

Wow, I'm old...

:lmao: Her Tarzan was priceless! (I guess I'm old, too, because I remember. And, I'm 48...)

Maui Mike
December 21st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Correction -- Weldon Diggs not Wendall Diggs.

And yes, Carol Burnett could certainly get the job done, but I'll stick by my earlier statement.