PDA

View Full Version : feet together or apart on the walls?

rtodd
December 17th, 2010, 02:44 PM
It seems to me that when I make contact and push off with my feet and knees together (and everything else is correct) I get much farther out than when I have my feet seperated, say 12-18" apart.

I think there is some drag created, with the seperated feet/legs, on the pushoff. More power can be generated with legs seperated to shoulder width, but if the drag cancels the benefit of the stronger pushoff, than all you are doing is getting more tired.

Anyone else notice this?

pwb
December 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM
People keep telling me that I should push off the wall with my feet apart as if I was pushing off the ground on a squat, but years of hitting with my feet together and pushing off that way has left me unable to create that new habit.

fmracing
December 17th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Feet apart probably has better implications as far as being able to get the knees apart and tuck better on the flip. As soon as you push off though, the feet should be together until the SDK's take place.

USMS Fan
December 17th, 2010, 07:12 PM
The answer is 100% definately apart.

Try this experiment. Measure how high you can jump in the air feet together, and feet apart. You get a lot more power when your feet are apart.

jessicafk11
December 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Definitely apart. I used to put them together but within the last year I ave really worked at getting them apart and it feels better and I go further faster.

jaadams1
December 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
The answer is 100% definately apart.

Try this experiment. Measure how high you can jump in the air feet together, and feet apart. You get a lot more power when your feet are apart.

This was pretty much the same exact answer I was going to give, but you beat me to it. :)

ande
December 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
shoulder width

pwb
December 18th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Try this experiment. Measure how high you can jump in the air feet together, and feet apart. You get a lot more power when your feet are apart.The difference between mine would be negligible; this white man can't jump no matter where I place my feet.:afraid:

rtodd
December 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
For maximum vertical jump, like when I plant my feet to dunk a ball (no I can't dunk by the way) my feet are pretty darn close to one another. I would say slightly within shoulder width. Maybe 8" seperation at the feet.

I will try a pure pushoff test to try and find the ideal width. I think drag plays a role here if your legs are too seperated on the pushoff.

knelson
December 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
As long as your legs are within your wetted profile than I doubt drag will increase much. This is probably going to be less than "shoulder width" when your arms are streamlined over your head.

orca1946
December 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I start with my feet shoulder apart & I also do this on turns. Old habit I think.

stillwater
December 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Feet apart. However, I don't flip straight over, heels over head. I land kind of shoulder width apart on my side.

I drove myself nuts over this for months. I came to terms with myself. My feet are apart, which is how it should be. I sleep well.

notsofast
December 18th, 2010, 10:22 PM
My stumbling, slow-poke self found the answer to this one the other day.

Would you rather drag two canoes across a lake or only one?

orca1946
December 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I also flip to a side rather than straight over - from free , I guess.