PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Baseball

coachkopie
December 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Had a fun and productive morning swim practice. The final set was "Swimming Baseball". Posted times for 50's for each stroke. Set a fairly quick time as a home run plus one run then added 3 seconds for a home run, added 3 more for a triple, then 4 for a double and 4 more for a single and for a time that did not get at least a single, we took a run away from the team score. teams set their order of swimmers. swam in heats so coach could start and time each swimmer. read times and put total runs tallied and base runners on what bases on dry erase board. swimmers chose strokes and could mix anyway they wanted as there were times for each stroke. group had fun. swimmers raced well. final score was 9 to 8.

have a nice, safe, fitness filled day.

kopie

knelson
December 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Sounds like fun! This reminds me of some of the workouts the late coach Rick Edwards did with his Lansing Eastern high school teams. During their winter break they worked their butts off, but also had lots of fun because Rick kept things interesting.

Take a look:
"Overcoming the Mid-Winter Blues" (http://eastern.lansingschools.net/student_organizations/athletics/mens/swimming/midwinterblues.htm)
The Workouts (http://eastern.lansingschools.net/student_organizations/athletics/mens/swimming/workouts.htm)

Midas
December 22nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Sounds like fun! This reminds me of some of the workouts the late coach Rick Edwards did with his Lansing Eastern high school teams. During their winter break they worked their butts off, but also had lots of fun because Rick kept things interesting.

Take a look:
"Overcoming the Mid-Winter Blues" (http://eastern.lansingschools.net/student_organizations/athletics/mens/swimming/midwinterblues.htm)
The Workouts (http://eastern.lansingschools.net/student_organizations/athletics/mens/swimming/workouts.htm)

Those workouts sound like death and make me want to quit age group swimming all over again! 150,000 yards in 2 weeks! :bolt:

knelson
December 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
I've always wanted to try this, but haven't mustered the guts yet:
7 x 300 fly desc. rest :45 with :10 at all breaks
[300, 300, 300, 2 x 150, 3 x 100, 6 x 50, 12 x 25]

Of course the actual workout then has a 100 easy followed by 20x100 fly, free, free, fly by 25, but I think if I could make it through the 7x300 I'd be satisfied. :)

jaadams1
December 22nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
I've always wanted to try this, but haven't mustered the guts yet:
7 x 300 fly desc. rest :45 with :10 at all breaks
[300, 300, 300, 2 x 150, 3 x 100, 6 x 50, 12 x 25]

Of course the actual workout then has a 100 easy followed by 20x100 fly, free, free, fly by 25, but I think if I could make it through the 7x300 I'd be satisfied. :)

Thanks Kirk! I think you just gave me my workout for Christmas Eve. I don't have to work so I'll have a good 2 hour practice, and this will be my main set. BTW, I am swimming the butterfly cycle at our upcoming meet in Wenatchee (Jan. 23) - 50, 100, 200, & 500 Fly (signed up for 500 Free). :drowning:

That Guy
December 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks Kirk! I think you just gave me my workout for Christmas Eve. I don't have to work so I'll have a good 2 hour practice, and this will be my main set. BTW, I am swimming the butterfly cycle at our upcoming meet in Wenatchee (Jan. 23) - 50, 100, 200, & 500 Fly (signed up for 500 Free). :drowning:

James, on Friday please post how you did with this, I am genuinely curious. I think if I attempted this set, it would be an absolute train wreck. My Christmas Eve workout is likely to be short and unremarkable, since I'll be in a hurry to get to a housewarming party and then to church, but we'll see how it turns out. I don't see attempting this set under any circumstances. :afraid:

But... I am planning something unusual for my New Year's Day workout...
:dj_dance:

jaadams1
December 22nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
James, on Friday please post how you did with this, I am genuinely curious. I think if I attempted this set, it would be an absolute train wreck. My Christmas Eve workout is likely to be short and unremarkable, since I'll be in a hurry to get to a housewarming party and then to church, but we'll see how it turns out. I don't see attempting this set under any circumstances. :afraid:

I did a couple of 400 Fly's on Peony Munger's birthday:cake: back in November. She's a 76 year old on our team that does a 1650 Fly every morning for practice. AMAZING!!!:applaud::banana: Distance fly isn't too bad, just get a rythem going and don't look back. I will let you know how much it hurts though for sure.

knelson
December 23rd, 2010, 01:54 AM
Since your blog is called "Flyin' Forever" it seems appropriate to do a set from the "Come fly with me" workout! I'm curious to know how it goes.

I'm hoping to get in a workout somewhere on the 24th, but my normal pools are all closed.

jaadams1
December 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM

I did it. It actually felt really good. You can read about it HERE (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?b=12988). :banana::bliss::banana:

jaadams1
December 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM

I think our coach said we get to play Sharks and Minnows on our New Years Eve practice next Friday morning. :banana: I'm gonna win, if I don't get drowned in the process!:drowning: