PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a strange question

celticbass1
December 24th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Where my chin rubs my shoulder during freestyle I have a huge abrasion. I keep very clean shaven and I've tried Glide, any other suggestions?

Thanks

SullyIM
December 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Happen to me for a while. I used to put Vaseline on my shoulder and it helped. For me it was bad form. I was crossing over and really overemphasizing the glide. My head was also tucked in too tightly to my chest.

jaadams1
December 24th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I used to get that too usually the day or two after shaving, but now I have somewhat of a full beard and don't notice the stubble rub anymore. I remember it happening on my right side shoulder only, which is the side I usually breathe to. It may come from not getting your head back to a normal position quick enough after breathing.

That Guy
December 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
any other suggestions?

BUTTERFLY!

jaadams1
December 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM
BUTTERFLY!
There's the correct answer!!

orca1946
December 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Well on fly I do breathe on my side , like free !! Try to get your head back down sooner .

norascats
December 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Rotate your body more.

celticbass1
December 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
BUTTERFLY!

Obviously you have never seen me swim butterfly because if you had you would know that is a SILLY answer.

nhc
December 24th, 2010, 08:20 PM
My chin never rubs my shoulder. Does it mean I'm not swimming correctly?:rolleyes:

celticbass1
December 24th, 2010, 09:47 PM
My chin never rubs my shoulder. Does it mean I'm not swimming correctly?:rolleyes:

Absolutely not. A few have told me to correct my stroke to fix this problem but I probably wont significantly change my stroke just so my shoulder doesn't get an abrasion. I was a swim coach for 5 years plus and saw lots of variations on swim strokes that all work. We all have different body types, slightly different shoulder designs etc. so that explains small acceptable differences in swim stroke.

jim thornton
December 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I have a friend with the same problem. He is a huge devotee of the TI approach. It could be a coincidence, but someone else mentioned the extended glide and chin tucked down head position, both of which seem to be features of the Total Immersion philosophy (though perhaps I am wrong here.) You mentioned coaching for five years. Was your style inspired or influenced by TI?

In any event, I think probably the best solution if you don't think you would be able to change your stroke is to grow a beard. Once the hairs are a little longer, they lose that sandpaper abrasive quality. You might even be able to get relief just by sprouting one of those Don Johnson semi-beards from his Miami Vice days. I often have one of these, not on purpose but mainly because I don't remember to shave, and I don't get shoulder abrasion!

Either a beard or I suppose you could try applying some duct tape on the spot where the abrasion in the worst. This would likely stay in place for a good chunk of the practice and prevent the problem. If it works, you could come out with a line of flesh-colored duct tape for tough bearded swimmers.

celticbass1
December 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Jim,
The duct tape might just be a great idea. I think I'm going to give it a try. I coached 25+ years ago and if they had such a thing as the Total Immersion program I knew nothing of it. I still know nothing about TI other than that it exists. I've never seen the videos or had someone teach it to me.

I was just doing some practice today and realized that my shoulder may actually be rubbing against my cheek as opposed to my chin and I think if most people gave it a try they would see that if you reach forward an appropriate amount your shoulder automatically hits either your chin or your cheek. When I was 16-24 this wasn't a problem because my facial hair wasn't coarse enough to cause a problem.

I can't grow a beard because of my profession, we aren't allowed to have facial hair but good thought.

I think I'm trying the duct tape!!

jim thornton
December 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Larry, I've used duct tape for various cuts on my feet, etc. and it works great. It stays on really well for 60-90 minute practices; in fact, it sometimes stays on for days at a time!

Let us know if it works for you.

I also tend to shave right before practice--that way the bleeding stops by the end of it. Anyhow, if you do this, and shave close enough (I recommend Gillette Fusion technology!) to convert your cheek to baby buttock cheek smoothness, perhaps you will not need the duct tape even.

pendaluft
December 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
You can fix almost any problem with properly applied duct tape.

jim thornton
December 27th, 2010, 10:19 AM
You can fix almost any problem with properly applied duct tape.

Agreed.

I have been known to fix even improperly applied duct tape with a smothering layer of properly applied duct tape.

chaos
December 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
it probably can be corrected by a small change in the timing of your breath. having said that, i shave about twice/month and have only had the shoulder burn problem during long swims when my boat or paddler held a position further back than i prefer.