PDA

View Full Version : anyone swam during the blizzard?

nhc
December 28th, 2010, 01:07 AM
The blizzard on the east coast...
Went swimming today just after the blizzard. There were few people, though more than I expected. Later I was surprised to see a noodler joining. :D The water smelled fishy (really as if there was dead fish in the water), wonder why :cool:

jessicafk11
December 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Not really during the blizzard but right as the snow started coming down. The pool was crowded, it seemed that a lot of other people wanted to get in a swim before it got bad out so they could stay home and hibernate as well!

pendaluft
December 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM
My pool was closed. My street is still not plowed today! Trapped here with 3 kids and cabin fever. I am trying to visualize shoveling as type of core conditioning.

swimshark
December 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Our blizzard went bust but we had high winds. I went swimming with the team at 3pm in a bubbled in pool. I could see the lights swaying with the wind gusts. It was freezing when I got out and so painful.

nhc
December 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
The pool was crowded, it seemed that a lot of other people wanted to get in a swim before it got bad out so they could stay home and hibernate as well!

The other reasons: a. To lose the weight gained during Christmas dinners. b. The pool is nice and warm. :D

Glenn
December 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I swam with no problem at all during the blizzard...........did I mention that I am here in Pasadena, California?:banana:

nhc
December 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I swam with no problem at all during the blizzard...........did I mention that I am here in Pasadena, California?:banana:

Sorry no white Christmas for you :(

knelson
December 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Sorry no white Christmas for you :(

White Christmases are overrated.

thewookiee
December 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Not if you have never had one. This past weekend was my first white christmas.

thewookiee
December 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Tomorrow will be the first day that I will be able to swim since Friday morning. At first, I was worried about the 4 day layoff, but then I realized that the break might be good for my body to rest and recharge since I am not real good about taking days off or having too many recovery days.

So to those that haven't been able to swim, use the time off as a recharge before getting ready for a busy spring season.

Glenn
December 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I had plenty of white Christmas's when I was growing up in Newark, NJ. Now, if I want a white Christmas, I drive two hours to Big Bear, CA and have all the snow I want.

smontanaro
December 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Agreed. I grew up in San Jose, California and essentially only saw snow when we wanted to (driving to the Sierras). I've lived in the Snow Belt pretty much since 1977. I've grown accustomed to it, but would still prefer to swim outdoors (or work on my car without contributing more to global warming or ride my bike without needing snow tires or hand warmers) year-round.

S

jaadams1
December 28th, 2010, 07:43 PM

That's just 'cause you're from the Seattle area. Come over the mountains to the east side of the state and have lots of white stuff all winter long! :applaud: :groovy: Every morning I wake up and either have to brush off the snow, or scrape the ice of the windows to go to practice.

ElaineK
December 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Not if you have never had one. This past weekend was my first white christmas.

Mine, too! It was the first time in 130 years that it snowed on Christmas in the Atlanta area.

As a (Southern) California girl who grew up in the sand and surf, it was only the fifth time I had ever been in snow; second this year. It took 40 years off my life, just like that! I felt like a kid, again, throwing snowballs!! :bliss:

orca1946
December 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
We swim when it snows in Chicagoland - not like those sissy football players !!

That Guy
December 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I biked to the gym this morning on my normal schedule, despite a snowfall in progress.

Other Swimmer: "I'm kinda surprised to see you rode in today, TG"
Me: "Why, is something going on outside?"

:banana:

knelson
December 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
That's just 'cause you're from the Seattle area.

I'm not from the Seattle area. I grew up in Michigan and had plenty of white Christmases, daily scraping of the car windows and walking in the freezing cold to get to practice at 6:00 a.m. That's why I think it's overrated! I'm with Glenn. When I want snow I head to the mountains.