PDA

View Full Version : Gary Hall Jr. Article

knelson
December 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM
A few of my friends have mentioned they've seen Gary swimming at Medgar Evers pool in Seattle. Based on the article, though, it sounds like it might be a hard sell to get him to swim on PNA relays at Nationals. On the other hand, maybe he'll be ready for a trip to the Phoenix area!
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/restlessnative/2013782035_restless28m.html

rtodd
December 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Good article.

jaadams1
December 28th, 2010, 03:02 PM
A few of my friends have mentioned they've seen Gary swimming at Medgar Evers pool in Seattle. Based on the article, though, it sounds like it might be a hard sell to get him to swim on PNA relays at Nationals. On the other hand, maybe he'll be ready for a trip to the Phoenix area!
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/restlessnative/2013782035_restless28m.html

At least he's not in my age group for the moment. We would be for a couple of years though. Good to see more competition come to the neighborhood. :D:bow:

pwb
December 29th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Very cool article. He certainly seems to have a great balance / attitude towards life.

orca1946
December 29th, 2010, 11:49 AM
ANY olympic swimmer would be welcome on our team !!
If they do go to meets, I would bet more swimmers would enter to see them !

debaru
December 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I enjoyed that article. Gary Jr. seems to have a good handle on life and the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Sr. while at SwimFest '10 in San Diego this past summer (he is directly responsible for teaching me how to swim butterfly at the ripe old age of 55). He came across as a really humble guy who is more than happy to pass on his swimming knowledge to others. Something he no doubt passed on to his son. :)

amswimmer
December 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I was never crazy about the guy when he was swimming. Seemed a bit too cocky for me--but I loved this article. He has matured. What I especially like is the quote, "I do not want to be Mark Spitz talking about what he did in 1972." I have a handfull of friends who were in the '68 and '72 Olympics with email addresses and license plates like Olympian68 or Munichgold. Living in the past and for some, it was the only significant thing they ever did in their life. Congratulations Gary for moving on and making a difference.

Ken Classen
December 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Part of what drives him, he acknowledges, is the wince-inducing manner in which other prominent athletes have visibly failed to let go of past glory. "I never want to be the 50-year-old, 'That Swimming Guy,' " Hall says, chuckling.

Yep, don't think we will see him at Masters Nationals anytime soon..;)

debaru
December 30th, 2010, 01:28 PM
While it is nice to see that Gary Jr. is modest about his Olympic accomplishments, I don't have a problem with someone who sacrificed so much, and worked so hard to boast a little. :)

Of course, I don't want them them spouting off at me when I first meet them that "I'm an Olympian" as a former neighbor of mine did, but they should be allowed to talk about what they experienced and how it felt to earn that gold medal (or medals) if people are definitely interested.

stillwater
December 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I was never crazy about the guy when he was swimming. Seemed a bit too cocky for me--but I loved this article. He has matured. What I especially like is the quote, "I do not want to be Mark Spitz talking about what he did in 1972." I have a handfull of friends who were in the '68 and '72 Olympics with email addresses and license plates like Olympian68 or Munichgold. Living in the past and for some, it was the only significant thing they ever did in their life. Congratulations Gary for moving on and making a difference.

I don't agree. Sprinters are explosive people. His actions were pretty mild and restrained, perhaps a bit too jingoist for my tastes but I can't swim that fast.

He could only dream of being Mark Spitz.

Thrashing Slug
January 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Cool. Coming here from Florida must be quite a shock. I hope he sticks around long enough to enjoy the Pacific Northwest summer and our great open water season. Winters are rough, especially when you first move here. I often find myself missing the sun, but the rainy season just makes me appreciate it all the more when summer comes.

knelson
January 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
I often find myself missing the sun

At least we've gotten some the last few days, but even then it's fleeting. After about 3:00 the sun is very low in the sky and it's completely dark by 5:00. I'm glad the days are getting longer now.

jaadams1
January 3rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
At least we've gotten some the last few days, but even then it's fleeting. After about 3:00 the sun is very low in the sky and it's completely dark by 5:00. I'm glad the days are getting longer now.

Does it count if it's sunny and 7 degrees? That's what it's been like here in the mornings...by the afternoon it's sunny at maybe 15. :anim_coffee:

hofffam
January 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Not sure it is fair of GH to complain about Spitz. Who sees Spitz talking about 1972? Spitz was visible during the 2008 Olympics only because of Phelps going for 8 golds. Spitz was always cocky, but Hall was ridiculous. Hall was the world's fastest in one event. Spitz simultaneously held the world record in at least 4 individual events plus relays.

I really don't believe Hall and Spitz are even in the same category. Hall was once the best sprinter in the world. Spitz was once the best swimmer in the world.

knelson
January 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I don't know if it was a good idea to specifically call out Spitz, but my take is Gary was trying to say that 20 years from now he'd rather be talking about what he's doing at that time rather than what he did in 1996-2004.