PDA

View Full Version : The first time I Felt Like a Masters Swimmer is when ____

ShinobDood
September 12th, 2003, 10:39 AM
A couple years ago during practice... I was in the middle of a doing 200 IM. When it was time for breast stroke, I pushed off the wall and thought..."Under Water Pull out.... ehhh, errr, screw it. No pull out." A great personal moment in masters swimming enlightenment.

Fritz
September 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Not sure about the first time but lately I've been wondering if I'm same age as the parents of some of my younger lanemates. That makes me realize I'm a masters swimmer.

Sam Perry
September 12th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Fritz,

Very good thought, but you have to laugh if you are the same age, beacuase I know you are LEADING the lane and kicking their tails anyway!

Shaky
September 12th, 2003, 12:55 PM
I've never touched a masters swimmer to see what they feel like, so I don't know if I feel like one.

Fritz
September 12th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Not sure about the first time but lately I've been wondering if I'm same age as the parents of some of my younger lanemates. That makes me realize I'm a masters swimmer.

Fritz
September 12th, 2003, 02:51 PM
I have no idea how I managed to post the same thing twice. My aplologies.

jim clemmons
September 12th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Fritz:

Swill happens! Oh, well.

;)

SearayPaul
September 13th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Every morning I look in the mirror.

valhallan
September 13th, 2003, 01:45 PM
During a recent meet...when I noticed that the "kids" swimming next to me in the last heat were in their early twenties. Nothing like a little pressure to add some more gray to the beard.

mattson
September 13th, 2003, 09:44 PM
When I couldn't swim a second event in a meet without a lengthy warm-down after the first event.

Tom Ellison
September 14th, 2003, 03:50 PM
The first time Graham Johnston did not kill me in the mile! :D

WaterRat
September 17th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Last night when the bikini clad twenty something in the lane next to me called me sir. Ouch that hurt!

LauraAswim
September 18th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Two different "master swimmer reality checks" for me -

#1) When the 14 year old in the lane next to me commented, "Wow, I'm surprised that you can still do flip turns, being old and everything". Sigh....

#2) When entered my first masters meet in 1992, I was too chicken to branch out from anything other than my typical "safe" events (distance free) for fear of...whatever. I then watched an 84 year old woman complete a 400IM that I wouldn't have ever even tried. I talked to her later in the locker room and asked her why she did that event, and she said, "Why not? Life's too short not to challenge yourself. And besides, none of my friends can do this." My transition from the college swimming mindset to the masters swimming mindset was started right then, because she was right!

Laura