PDA

View Full Version : The Forum at The Race Club

GaryHallSr
December 30th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Not long ago, we had the honor of coaching a few of the well know masters swimmers from the Forum (an international group of elite accomplished master's swimmers). Thought you would enjoy seeing a youtube video of our Forum Camp at The Race Club.

Happy New Year!!

Gary Sr.

YouTube - The Forum Camp

smontanaro
December 31st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Very cool! Thanks for posting this Gary.

quicksilver
December 31st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Freestyle with the dolphin kick looks like a very interesting drill.

What a great place to live and work by the way. Cheers.

debaru
December 31st, 2010, 09:58 AM
Not long ago, we had the honor of coaching a few of the well know masters swimmers from the Forum (an international group of elite accomplished master's swimmers). Thought you would enjoy seeing a youtube video of our Forum Camp at The Race Club.

Happy New Year!!

Gary Sr.

YouTube - The Forum Camp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YZf8lpwXL8)

Gary,

Thanks for sharing the video. I couldn't help but notice that just about everyone in the video was wearing fins during their drills. I like using them during drills as they tend to help with maintaining good body position. Is this why they were being used, or do you feel there are other benefits?

Also, do you advocate wearing fins during swim workouts? Just curious, as there are differring opinions regarding the usage of fins.

Happy New Year to you. :party2:

GaryHallSr
December 31st, 2010, 03:45 PM
I am an admitted finaholic, but I normally recommend fins in training for Masters about 30% in freestyle, 50% in fly and back. The stroke rate and volume with fins is different and therefore, the closer to competition, the less fins should be used.
I find fins particularly useful in drills teaching body rotation for free and back as they increase the stabilizing force and increase the power of the pull from the counter rotation.
Otherwise, they just make me feel like I am still good.

Gary Sr.

knelson
December 31st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Otherwise, they just make me feel like I am still good.

So there you have it. Fins are used as a crutch by everyone from beginning swimmers to multiple-time Olympians!

rtodd
December 31st, 2010, 05:07 PM
I think fins are great so you can train technique. You get the necessary speed to feel the water in a relevant way during a drill without getting too tired to repeat over and over.

Also great for overspeed training where you swim much faster than your all out fin free times so you can develop the right technique to minimizing drag at speed (unlike drills, this is tiring). They are only a crutch if you race in them.

makesense
January 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
good stuff, exactly what we need more of

...but Gary, your brief swim demo...seemed the water did not go over your head as you instruct

the head could also go too deep I suppose, and thus increase drag by presenting too much of your back to oncoming water