PDA

View Full Version : Go the Distance is open for 2011!

ALM
January 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
The 2011 Go the Distance fitness event is now open. More than 2,200 members participated in 2010; why don't you join them for 2011?

Go The Distance is an online self-directed fitness program intended to encourage Masters swimmers to regularly exercise and track their progress. Swimmers may strive to reach a number of distance milestones and automatically receive recognition for their achievements and awards at certain milestones.

To get started, you will need to set up your FLOG (Fitness Log) on the USMS web site. Instructions can be found here:
http://www.usms.org/features.php?id=142

To see an example of the daily reports, click here:
http://www.usms.org/fitness/results10/gtdparticipants_clubs.php

You can read more about the event here:
http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :party2: :cheerleader: :wine:

orca1946
January 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM
One of our team members did this & it kept him on task right up to the last day.:applaud:

ElaineK
January 1st, 2011, 02:11 PM
GTD is a great program and really kept me motivated to keep on track! And, it was a great tool for recording workout specifics and "race" times, to track my progress. I also recorded swim meet times.

I had set a goal of 420,000 yards for 2010, thinking it was a reach, because of my past (major!) shoulder surgery, but I gradually increased my sessions from 3-4 days/week (gym on the other 3-4 days) to 5-6 days/week (gym on the 7th day and one other day after my swim). I ended up the year with 462,400 yards; over 262 miles!

I'm shooting for 275 miles in 2011! :banana:

cathym
January 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
I had fun doing this event last year. I didn't start until mid April and my goal was 250 miles. This year my goal will be 500 miles and a free bathing suit. The only pool available today was 55 feet- so I did 222 laps X 55 / 3= 4070 yards.

swimshark
January 1st, 2011, 05:00 PM
Congratulations to all who made their goal. Sadly, I missed my 365 miles goal. Darn 3 feet of snow in Jan and Feb meant the pool was closed pretty much for 4 weeks :(

Lump
January 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM
Great tool for tracking everything. I ended up making my goal on Friday, the last day of the year, by 100 yards! (500 miles)

I'll certainly use it again and participate this year!

ViveBene
January 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM
I certainly did not make my goal, but I know how much I actually swam.
(sigh, start all over again)

I agree, GTD is a great motivator.

ElaineK
January 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM
Great tool for tracking everything. I ended up making my goal on Friday, the last day of the year, by 100 yards! (500 miles)

I'll certainly use it again and participate this year!

Way to go, Lump! :applaud:

Lump
January 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Way to go, Lump! :applaud:

Thanks! It was pretty anti-climatic though. If you look at my year, I've really dropped off since the summer. Mostly due to no goals, not wanting to swim SCM.

January is gonna be a butt kicking for me! I start back being serious on Monday and getting my nutrition back in order.....8 months to Auburn (which is my end goal)!

jaadams1
January 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
...And no fair getting to 1500+ miles by swimming "600+ miles" in a month. That's like doing 35,000 yards a day for the whole month. Must have been a typo...:dunno: Keep it honest folks...

debaru
January 1st, 2011, 08:19 PM
...And no fair getting to 1500+ miles by swimming "600+ miles" in a month. That's like doing 35,000 yards a day for the whole month. Must have been a typo...:dunno: Keep it honest folks...

I would like to think that everyone participating was being honest. I know of a couple of people who chose to save up their distances for several months and entered them all at once.

jaadams1
January 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
I would like to think that everyone participating was being honest. I know of a couple of people who chose to save up their distances for several months and entered them all at once.

J 40.95; F 45.36; M 52.82; A 44.09; M 60.3; J 104.14; Ju 164.85; Au 132.17; S 105.38; O 99.42; N 535.25; D 268.43

Monthly mileage like this looks suspicious, that's what I was meaning. :argue:

When we are being "rewarded" by sponsors with gift certificates and such, it seems that we should be honestly receiving them. If I could put any number down on my taxes it would be nice also, but they have a way to check on this.

KEWebb18
January 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM
I didn't meet my goal this year, but I swam more this year than the previous 10 combined! Here's to 2011 :)

Jimbosback
January 1st, 2011, 11:37 PM
Met my modest goal of 100 miles. Looking forward to playing again in 2011. Amazing how fast it adds up.

knelson
January 2nd, 2011, 01:32 AM
J 40.95; F 45.36; M 52.82; A 44.09; M 60.3; J 104.14; Ju 164.85; Au 132.17; S 105.38; O 99.42; N 535.25; D 268.43

Monthly mileage like this looks suspicious, that's what I was meaning. :argue:

Oh, come on, 535.25 miles in November is only a hair over 30,000 yards a day! Someone could easily do this by swimming every single day in November for ten hours. :bolt:

FireRox21
January 2nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
I didn't set a goal, but I swam 385.49 miles in 2010!!

I was only swimming 3 days a week for the first three months of the year, but upped it to 5 days/week. I did take a big hit in distance in August when the pool closed for 2 weeks for maintenance. I'm not going to set a distance goal for 2011, but my goal is to adhere a little more strictly to the workouts, try to hit intervals in training and put a little more effort into my dryland fitness.

analazy
January 2nd, 2011, 03:41 AM
:wiggle: Going to try…. New registration, new experiences….
The best for all!

want2beafish
January 2nd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Great tool for tracking everything. I ended up making my goal on Friday, the last day of the year, by 100 yards! (500 miles)!

You should have stopped at 3700. You still would have had a 40 yard cushion. :)

I dropped off a bit in December as well, but I usually do. Some of that has to do with the fact that I usually stay after practice and do extra kick sets since the noon practice is only an hour. During the last two weeks of December the kids practice throughout the day so it isn't as practical to stay in.

I've participated in GTD since 2008 and will definitely do it again in 2011. Same distance goal (750). For me that distance goal definitely forces consistency, but it's not such a large goal that I can't blow it by missing a day or two. And since I didn't swim competitively as a kid, I need that much yardage to stay at least marginally competitive in meets.

I do think that most people are honest with reporting their distances. It's pretty sad to think that people would overreport just for a $60 swimsuit.

swimshark
January 2nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
I didn't meet my goal this year, but I swam more this year than the previous 10 combined! Here's to 2011 :)

Woo hoo! See you in 2011 :)

tjrpatt
January 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Oh, come on, 535.25 miles in November is only a hair over 30,000 yards a day! Someone could easily do this by swimming every single day in November for ten hours. :bolt:

Oh yeah! piece of cake! :bolt: You can get that done in no time. I don't get why people would fudge GTD numbers.

Lump
January 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
You should have stopped at 3700. You still would have had a 40 yard cushion. :)

I dropped off a bit in December as well, but I usually do. Some of that has to do with the fact that I usually stay after practice and do extra kick sets since the noon practice is only an hour. During the last two weeks of December the kids practice throughout the day so it isn't as practical to stay in.

I've participated in GTD since 2008 and will definitely do it again in 2011. Same distance goal (750). For me that distance goal definitely forces consistency, but it's not such a large goal that I can't blow it by missing a day or two. And since I didn't swim competitively as a kid, I need that much yardage to stay at least marginally competitive in meets.

I do think that most people are honest with reporting their distances. It's pretty sad to think that people would overreport just for a $60 swimsuit.

Yeah, I knew I needed somewhere around that to make it so just did an extra bit to make sure!

You are a swimming fool! Especially with all the running, parenting, and other stuff you do...I could only dream of having your energizer bunny life!!! :D

I'm gonna scale back a little this year, do more quality stuff and work on more stuff out of the pool like cardio, weights, diet, etc. Since I'm not focusing on distance (thought I might swim the 800 or 1500 at Nationals) I'm gonna focus on the middle distance 200 and 400 for LCM.

knelson
January 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
I don't get why people would fudge GTD numbers.

I don't know why either. Perhaps he only entered a small portion of his mileage some months and then finally got around to entering the correct numbers in November. It seems kind of silly to "cheat" in an event like this!

mcountryman
January 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Just started Masters swimming at the end of last summer. I have already signed up for GTD to help keep me on track, especially since I work out on my own.

Hmmm...not sure yet what goal to set...I'll have to think on that.

Lump
January 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Just started Masters swimming at the end of last summer. I have already signed up for GTD to help keep me on track, especially since I work out on my own.

Hmmm...not sure yet what goal to set...I'll have to think on that.

Figure and avg. amount of yardage per week x 52 weeks. Take out a bit for vacations, tapers, etc. and that should give you something reasonable.:)

mcountryman
January 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks Lump,

Based on my current workouts, I'll shoot for around 400 miles. I hope to do more but we'll see.

My goals are to swim at Auburn in August and also participate in several open water swims. Quality and consistency are just as important to me as yardage. I will need a good mix of stroke and distance workouts.

It's going to be a fun year! :D

jethro
January 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I finished 2010 just shy of my goal of 500 miles for the year. I'll keep the same goal for 2011, but I'll make sure I better account for those weeks when I know I won't be able to swim (like this past week) and try to make up the yardage accordingly.

want2beafish
January 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I knew I needed somewhere around that to make it so just did an extra bit to make sure!

You are a swimming fool! Especially with all the running, parenting, and other stuff you do...I could only dream of having your energizer bunny life!!! :D

I'm gonna scale back a little this year, do more quality stuff and work on more stuff out of the pool like cardio, weights, diet, etc. Since I'm not focusing on distance (thought I might swim the 800 or 1500 at Nationals) I'm gonna focus on the middle distance 200 and 400 for LCM.
Remember, I don't have a paying job AND I completely crash at 9 p.m. Energizer bunny life... only sometimes. The rest of the time I fake it. :)

I'll bet by changing your focus you'll become even stronger, even in events you're not expecting. That's what happened with my running. I stopped doing triathlons, cut down my distance, did more quality, and got more fit overall. I'm running faster at, ahem, 45 than I EVER have.

Lump
January 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks Lump,

Based on my current workouts, I'll shoot for around 400 miles. I hope to do more but we'll see.

My goals are to swim at Auburn in August and also participate in several open water swims. Quality and consistency are just as important to me as yardage. I will need a good mix of stroke and distance workouts.

It's going to be a fun year! :D

I see you are in Smyrna! Where are you swimming? I split time between Mountain View in Marietta and Cobb Central off Fairground.

BTW, there is a SCY meet at Auburn in Feb. I would suggest going just to get familiar with the pool and its a GREAT meet to attend.

Lump
January 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Remember, I don't have a paying job AND I completely crash at 9 p.m. Energizer bunny life... only sometimes. The rest of the time I fake it. :)

I'll bet by changing your focus you'll become even stronger, even in events you're not expecting. That's what happened with my running. I stopped doing triathlons, cut down my distance, did more quality, and got more fit overall. I'm running faster at, ahem, 45 than I EVER have.

Even still, you are amazing! I'm gonna attempt to start getting up early again (albeit not at 5AM) to get my workouts done in the AM. So I'll get back to the bed by 10PM thing too.

Just like you said, I just want to go for a little more all around fitness, have fun with it, get a little leaner and stronger. I was getting to the point of burning out a bit on the swimming. Don't think I'll ever get back to being a runner like I used to be due to my lower back, but just want to do enough to maybe make a 10K sometime.

gdanner
January 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have never kept track of yardage over the course of a year, so I'm going to get on this for 2011. My quick estimation should put me around 750 miles for the year, but who knows how work will pan out.

mcountryman
January 3rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
I see you are in Smyrna! Where are you swimming? I split time between Mountain View in Marietta and Cobb Central off Fairground.

BTW, there is a SCY meet at Auburn in Feb. I would suggest going just to get familiar with the pool and its a GREAT meet to attend.

I swim at LA Fitness in Austell (5 min from my house). I need the flexibility in their hours..I can swim almost anytime. Cobb Central is close also and it would be nice to have a training partner every now and then. Let me know if you would like to meet up sometime.

I plan on going to Auburn in Feb, but I haven't registered yet. I also plan on going to a Charlotte meet for one day at the end of Jan. I want to swim the 1650 and get a base time.

Lump
January 3rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
I swim at LA Fitness in Austell (5 min from my house). I need the flexibility in their hours..I can swim almost anytime. Cobb Central is close also and it would be nice to have a training partner every now and then. Let me know if you would like to meet up sometime.

I plan on going to Auburn in Feb, but I haven't registered yet. I also plan on going to a Charlotte meet for one day at the end of Jan. I want to swim the 1650 and get a base time.

I don't have a "set" schedule for where I swim (between the two pools), but I'm gonna try to start being at Central on Wedsday mornings early 7ish, and do weights, abs, cardio and an easy 2000.

mcountryman
January 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I don't have a "set" schedule for where I swim (between the two pools), but I'm gonna try to start being at Central on Wedsday mornings early 7ish, and do weights, abs, cardio and an easy 2000.

Already on my way to work at 7AM, but I look forward to meeting you somewhere along the way.

Rykno
January 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I was forced to open my eyes yesterday and re-evaluate my GTD goals for 2011.

In 2010 i swam 502km which was a slight increase from the 482km in 2009. I thought I could bump that up to 800km. but realized even in a perfect world I don't have time to swim the 15,3km a week needed. so I changed my goal to something more realistic 725km which is just under 14km/week.

I might end up around 750km or so, but it really depends on how long our spring/summer last this year.

if I get to the end of march (swedish nationals) and I am ahead of the 725km mark then i will adjust it up again.

Rykno
January 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks to the GTD I was motivated to swim at lunch today!

last week I missed two practice because of illness and could not make it up because of work.

today i knew I was going to miss my evening practice because of a swim team board meeting, so I forced myself to take a long lunch and swam an ez mile (1500m)

wanting to avoid seeing the you are behind pace to reach your goal really helped get me to the pool today!

tjrpatt
January 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
122 miles in 23 days is approximately 5.30 miles/9335 yards a day. Just saying.

Lump
January 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
BTW, screw you Go The Distance!!! :bitching:

I don't turn 40 until June and you've ALREADY aged me up.....at least wish me a Happy Birthday! :cane::D

jaadams1
January 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
First one over 150 miles in 29 days!!! (It's not me, BTW)
Doing the math...
150 mi/29 days = 5.1724xxx mi/day
5.1724xxx * 1760 yards/mi = 9103.45 yards/day
At that rate = 1,888 mi/year
Hmmmmm....
:worms:

smontanaro
January 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Doing the one-hour postal today got me back in the good graces with the GTD fairy for now. :D

I like the online OHP entry. I was afraid I'd have to enter every 50 split. That would have been annoying...

Thanks to my lovely wife Ellen for counting.

Skip

couldbebetterfly
January 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM

I don't turn 40 until June and you've ALREADY aged me up.....at least wish me a Happy Birthday! :cane::D

I noticed that too but am middle of my age group...it'll hurt in 3 yrs time!

orca1946
January 30th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I;m at 12% already !!:applaud:

Rykno
March 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
one missed practice and this two week tapper has put me 7 miles behind schedule and I've been dropped from the top 10 in my age group.

it's a good thing I will be getting about 10,000m this coming weekend with 4 sessions of warm-ups and 12 races followed by some kind of cool down after each race.

April will be a good chance to make up those miles. and then once the lakes are up over 60F I'll be able to get ahead with OW swims

Rykno
May 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM
only 1 mile behind after todays swim ;)

anyone know if my GTD team will update when i switch from UNAT to HEAT in the coming days?

swimmj
May 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Since it's an annual event, you are given the age you will be at the end of the year. It was thought that it would be better than having folks change age groups mid year...

MJ

SealGirl
May 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I love GTD! I work out by myself and with GTD I feel like I have dozens of amazing and inspiring lane mates in my very own age group 60-64! I enter my yardage every day and check on what my new friends did yesterday. There are days I would have slept in, instead of getting up at 5am, except for GTD.

It's great that Nike gives us certificates, but the real reward is the yardage!

ALM
May 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM
anyone know if my GTD team will update when i switch from UNAT to HEAT in the coming days?

Yes, once you transfer the reports will automatically update to reflect your membership in your new club. (I just verified this with the Webmaster, who is watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs right now. :banana: )

2trax4me
May 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I did not start the masters until May and wanted to know if this is something I can still do. I have started a blog and know my workouts for May but would like to add My Jan-april numbers which I only know approximately based on the dates I swam and knowing the yards I was going during these months... nothing concrete.

Rykno
May 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I did not start the masters until May and wanted to know if this is something I can still do. I have started a blog and know my workouts for May but would like to add My Jan-april numbers which I only know approximately based on the dates I swam and knowing the yards I was going during these months... nothing concrete.

you don't need to add all your previous workouts. you can add on workout on April 30th post all your yards from Jan 1 through april 30 in one post.

or you could go to the end of each month with a posting of your monthly yardage.

I did that last year. I had my log, joined in oct and added my jan-sept to one post in sept 2010, and then daily started in oct.

ALM
May 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM

YES, you can start at any time! You can enter your old yardage if you like but you don't have to.

Here are the instructions for how to set up your FLOG:

http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/usms_create_forums_acct.pdf

The FLOG instructions begin on Page 6.

swimshark
May 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Well mine is totally blown now. I had a goal of 365 miles... again. This is the 3rd year in a row of this goal and 3rd year that I probably won't make it thanks to my ankle. Now I have a high ankle sprain with damaged but not torn ligaments. No swimming for a month :(

Karl_S
May 22nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well mine is totally blown now. I had a goal of 365 miles... again. This is the 3rd year in a row of this goal and 3rd year that I probably won't make it thanks to my ankle. Now I have a high ankle sprain with damaged but not torn ligaments. No swimming for a month :(
Read Ande's Tip #31: "It will pass".
U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster
'hope you feel better (enough to swim) soon.

Allen Stark
May 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
I am so sorry.Are you OK'd for any exercise?It won't help GTD,but it will help your outlook if you can(at least it helps me when I'm hurt.)

Lump
May 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM

Pull? Paddles, buoy, snorkel.

ElaineK
May 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Pull? Paddles, buoy, snorkel.

Great idea, Lump. What do ya think, 'Shark?

Allison, I wish you a speedy recovery. Hang in there! :cheerleader:

Rykno
May 23rd, 2011, 06:48 AM

sorry to hear that. It's nearly impossible to make up lost yardage when you're out for a month. but hope you have a speedy recovery. Maybe you could change your GTD goal to 11/12ths of what it was before if you are only out for 4 weeks you should be able to make the new goal.

It's taken me roughly 8 weeks to get back on track after my taper in march. and since I found a team to swim with 3-4 times /week this summer in Waco I should be able to manage my goal, as long as I stay healthy.

norascats
May 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
I think that pull sets is the best way to deal with a sprained ankle. Wrap it up securely in the beginning and gradually increase the motion allowed. you might ot make your mile a day goal for the month. but you will decrease the number of long swims needed to catch up.
Keep swimming.

swimshark
May 25th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I think that pull sets is the best way to deal with a sprained ankle. Wrap it up securely in the beginning and gradually increase the motion allowed. you might ot make your mile a day goal for the month. but you will decrease the number of long swims needed to catch up.
Keep swimming.

Thanks all. I wish I could swim and trust me, I begged, and the doctor said no. The water pressure alone could hurt the ankle even more. And pointing the toes at this point is very painful. And I naturally point my toes when I swim. The swelling, after 8 days on crutches is getting better but still there every day. I think the worse part of this is that when it's in the boot, I'm rarely in pain which makes me want to swim more.

On the flip side, I'm lifting weights a lot, doing abs a lot and I do "virtual swimming" where I swim with the stretch cords - free and breast. It's not the same but it's as close as I can get now.

swimmj
May 26th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks all. I wish I could swim and trust me, I begged, and the doctor said no. The water pressure alone could hurt the ankle even more. And pointing the toes at this point is very painful. And I naturally point my toes when I swim. The swelling, after 8 days on crutches is getting better but still there every day. I think the worse part of this is that when it's in the boot, I'm rarely in pain which makes me want to swim more.

On the flip side, I'm lifting weights a lot, doing abs a lot and I do "virtual swimming" where I swim with the stretch cords - free and breast. It's not the same but it's as close as I can get now.

Oh so very sorry to hear this. Hope you are back in the water soon and that the time passes quickly until then.

swimshark
May 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Oh so very sorry to hear this. Hope you are back in the water soon and that the time passes quickly until then.

Thanks MJ. I'm glad you are back in the swim of things now.