PDA

View Full Version : Long distance swim training program

mzimmerm
January 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
I've been spending new years' day cruising the net looking for a training program for a 5K swim. (sept)

I thought I'd throw a couple things out there and see if anyone would like to comment.

First, I saw a couple really detailed training programs for running marathons. Has anyone tired to adapt one of those programs to specific long distance swims? If so, how did it go?

I learned about Fartlek training today. I'm going to try and incorporate that into my training. Anyone has a suggestions for a 5K?

I found some good common sense advice on a Total Immersion site, but it seems to be self contained on a specific set of websites. Is this program widely accepted by the swimming community now? It seems like good stuff, but I'm pretty ignorant of current swim training thought these days (less 2 hours of internet research:)).

Are there any good resources that you think I should consider that it doesn't sound like I'm aware of?

Thanks for any comments, I'll check back in a couple of days.

Happy New Year

LonghornbackinTX
January 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I would also be interested in a long distance training program, though admittedly I am only doing a 2K and one mile swim (and maybe an 1800 meter swim if the Irish let me enter).