PDA

View Full Version : How would you rank yourself at your pool?

nhc
January 2nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
I thought of a queer question:

How would you rank yourself among the swimmers at your pool? Are you a better swimmer there, or perhaps even the best? Or...?

You may consider all factors (technique, speed, endurance, form,...), or only the factors that you consider
important.

Let's see if the folks here make up the best of all the pools out there. :cool:

Couroboros
January 2nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
Among the top 10%. Although if my club's National Team did not have a separate diving well all to themselves, I might have to rank myself more in the "Around Average" choice.

analazy
January 2nd, 2011, 03:33 AM
"...How would you rank yourself among the swimmers at your pool? Are you a better swimmer there, or perhaps even the best? Or...?.."

The best! I am the only swimmer at the pool:laugh2:

swimshark
January 2nd, 2011, 07:54 AM
I had to vote around average because I practice with an age group team with many national qualifiers. Those kids are FAST! That puts me below average. Take them out of the equation and I'm above average among the rest. So with both factored in, I'm right in the middle.

Queen
January 2nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
I'm well below average. I'm 50, heavy, slow, and swim at a University pool full of 18-22 year olds... if I had an ego about swimming at all I'd be sitting in the corner crying. :D

KEWebb18
January 2nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
Faster than a noodler

debaru
January 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Faster than some, slower than others. :D

ElaineK
January 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
:lmao: If you ever saw our pool, you would know why I'm laughing! Living in an adult community with a bunch of noodlers, there isn't much competition, if you know what I mean. Granted, there are some lap swimmers, but... I'm the big fish in this small pond and the best swimmer in the community, as far as I have seen. Now to put it all in perspective, I have only made NQT's in 50 breaststroke (45-49 age group) and have a ways to go to make it in the 100 and 200.

geochuck
January 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
I have a few categories

#1, I am the best looking!!
#2. 5th Oldest.
#3. I have the best stroke.
#4. Weigh more then most.
#5. Swim less then most.

Have more but----

Rykno
January 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
I have to say among top 10% since we have such a huge range of swimmers. from 24 to 66 yrs old.

out of all them there is someone who can beat me in all the strokes. but remove the under 30's and then it is only sprint freestyle the older swimmers can beat me.

our masters swam with the kids today, there were about 10 of the older kids missing and I was second fastest in the pool. of the 10 missing all but 3 train faster than me.

fmracing
January 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Although I feel kindof arrogant saying so, there's no one at either pool I train at that could touch me in any of those criteria... at least not anyone that has bothered to swim while I was there. And I'm not even that good lol.

nhc
January 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I am the only swimmer at the pool:laugh2:

So you are the only absolute average. :D

#1, I am the best looking!!
#2. 5th Oldest.
#3. I have the best stroke.
#4. Weigh more then most.
#5. Swim less then most.

#2 and #4 makes #1 really impressive! :D #5 is a surprise, though.:rolleyes:

orca1946
January 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
# one in my age on the team - top 3 in points at state on the team - top 20 out of 75 on the team & I'm 64 ! :applaud::banana::cane:

That Guy
January 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
I'm not voting in this poll but here's a weird medium-fish-small-pond thing that happened a couple days ago. I finished my warmup to find two people standing at the end of my lane. One turned to the other and said quietly, "oh, it's [That Guy]." I have no idea who she was, so how did she know my name? :dunno: She even pronounced my last name correctly, something which eludes most telemarketers! :applaud:

(Why they were standing there: since lane-splitting is the norm at my gym, and they wanted to circle swim due to the pool being rather crowded, they were waiting for the chance to ask me. I said "sure, no problem" and we proceeded to circle swim.) :bliss:

mcountryman
January 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Top 10%...which is a joke since I work out at the local health club.

I could probably swim faster if they didn't keep the water temp at 87 for the noodlers...lol. :D

Donna
January 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
If we are talking among adults, top 10% otherwise average if you include the kids.

philoswimmer
January 2nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
We've got everyone from super fast swimmers to people just learning, and while I am probably somewhat above average, I don't think I'm in the top 10%.

magick17
January 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
we call our lane aquatards..need i say more...everyone else is a horse..its the rumbling sound they make when they all swim together. We have 2 25y pools so those who defect to the shallower pool..we call the baby pool! lol
its fun and thats what keeps me going back..
I have the biggest heart for swimming though!

analazy
January 3rd, 2011, 03:56 AM
So you are the only absolute average. :D

Yeap! “the only absolute…” whichever I want, depends on my daily mood….:D

want2beafish
January 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
It's all a matter of perspective.

At my masters practice, within the wide range of average. At the health club... let's just say I go there when my ego needs a boost. :)

Speedo
January 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Top 10% in my workout group, but about average overall. Many of the faster folks swim at other times or on the other side of the bulkhead. I'd be the slowest in the college group or the small national championship group that materializes once the LC season starts. One of the benefits of having many groups at a facility is that they mix to some extent (on weekend mornings and in the summertime especially), and you get to swim with some truly fast folks when that happens.

Thrashing Slug
January 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm one of the slowest, and the absolute slowest among the core group of die-hards that consistently come to practice. I find it funny that the original post listed different categories in which we could rate ourselves. Technique, form, endurance.. those are all meaningless subjective labels. Speed is the only objective measure. The clock doesn't lie!

Most days I don't mind being the slowest because it means I always have someone to chase and to motivate myself toward improvement. I think it's harder to push yourself to get better when you're already the fastest. Since I'm the charitable sort, I often switch roles by putting on fins and becoming the rabbit. :D

ekilleen
January 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
I love answering this -- I am absolutely among the slowest in the pool. But SOMETIMES I'm the fastest in the slow lane! That pleases me.

In contrast, my 10 year old daughter and I went swimming this weekend at a local pool's open swim; when we got to the pool all the lanes were taken and we had a real conundrum. There wasn't a person in the pool that she wouldn't run down within 4 laps but they were all about my speed. Who the heck would we pick to ask to swim with?

We got lucky, the guy we asked to join said that he was just getting out. He might have been intimidated by her obvious skillz!

Allen Stark
January 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
I swim at 2 pools.At one I'd definitely say #1,although there is one guy who can probably beat me at distance free(but I never swim that.) At the other pool it is more complicated.There is a core group of 4 guys who do intervals I couldn't do in my dreams,but since all I really care about is BR,I'll give myself #1 there too.

jethro
January 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
At the meets I've been to, I would say a little below average. At practice, middle of the pack. When it's just me and the noodlers, I dominate. :D

nhc
January 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I find it funny that the original post listed different categories in which we could rate ourselves. Technique, form, endurance.. those are all meaningless subjective labels. Speed is the only objective measure. The clock doesn't lie!

So what about someone who is very fast but never swims more than 25 yards each time, who also causes big splashes everywhere? :rolleyes:

Speedo
January 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
So what about someone who is very fast but never swims more than 25 yards each time, who also causes big splashes everywhere? :rolleyes:What about her? :D:bolt:

philoswimmer
January 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Technique, form, endurance.. those are all meaningless subjective labels. Speed is the only objective measure. The clock doesn't lie!

Maybe so, but those other factors are likely to influence how much sheer training (without any improvement in form) can improve your speed. Also, endurance suggests that while you may not be the fastest in practice, you might blow others away in a long OW swim.

swimmerb212
January 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
About half the pool is faster than me, so I like to make up other superlatives for my ego:

1. I'm the fastest girl! Who's here today!
2. My swimsuit is the greenest!
3. First in the water!
4. Fastest showerer of all the women!*
*4a. Most conditioner left in her hair!
5. Most improved! Who's here today!

Thrashing Slug
January 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
So what about someone who is very fast but never swims more than 25 yards each time, who also causes big splashes everywhere? :rolleyes:

Ah yes, the apocryphal drop-dead sprinter. I've heard of them but I don't think we have any in my training group. The fastest sprinters tend to also be the fastest at all the other distances, including triathlons and open water.

I suppose you're right, the case could be made that one's rank should be a composite score based on speed at all of the various distances. There are probably people out there who would score disproportionately badly on the longer distances. I just haven't met any of them.

philoswimmer
January 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
About half the pool is faster than me, so I like to make up other superlatives for my ego:

3. First in the water!

I love your attitude! I'm going to try that. Here's mine:

Most diligent about doing cool-downs!

(That's all I've got so far. I'll work on it).

Thrashing Slug
January 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Maybe so, but those other factors are likely to influence how much sheer training (without any improvement in form) can improve your speed. Also, endurance suggests that while you may not be the fastest in practice, you might blow others away in a long OW swim.

I think there are many different combinations of speed, technique, and endurance that can add up to the same time in a given event.

The great thing about OW is that you don't have to have the most endurance, or speed, or best technique. You can get an edge through strategy, or by being a better sighter, being familiar with the course, drafting, etc. There are plenty of variables that make open water races interesting.

However, the subject line does say "How would you rank yourself at your pool" so I didn't take open water into account when I did my ranking. Good idea though! Allow me to recalculate.... :coffee: .... damn! same result. :badday:

Ripple
January 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
Depends on who's there. Some days some very fast people show up and I'm in the lower 50th percentile. Some days I'm the fastest one there. Right now it's New Years Resolution time, so there are a lot of strugglers thrashing away gamely and giving me hurt reproachful looks when I pass them.

couldbebetterfly
January 3rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
Well I was the fastest lap swimmer until a couple of weeks ago so I went for top 10%.

However if you compare me with the HS team that gets in half way through my workout, I'm probably more like top 25%.

fmracing
January 4th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Ah yes, the apocryphal drop-dead sprinter.

It's not that we drop dead... it's that we get bored with long races and lose interest :D

analazy
January 4th, 2011, 03:20 AM
It's not that we drop dead... it's that we get bored with long races and lose interest :D

The ones loving longer distances just get bored to undress, do a under minute swim, dress and drive home….. :D
once or twice a year is nice to have a quick swim; as a rule it is more than unexciting……:bitching:

Seeing the pool results is stimulating: most of us are good! Wonder if we are really good comparing swimming times or comparing egos :D

swimshark
January 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM

3. First in the water!

I love your attitude! I'm going to try that. Here's mine:

Most diligent about doing cool-downs!

(That's all I've got so far. I'll work on it).

I like that list, too. Here is mine

I'm more than twice as old as all the swimmers in my workout. I can usually keep up (although today's 4x100 IMs on 1:20 were a bit hard on me)

thewookiee
January 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
The ones loving longer distances just get bored to undress, do a under minute swim, dress and drive home….. :D
once or twice a year is nice to have a quick swim; as a rule it is more than unexciting……:bitching:

Seeing the pool results is stimulating: most of us are good! Wonder if we are really good comparing swimming times or comparing egos :D

Waiting for people to swim 800/1000 or 1500/1650 is even less exciting. Lap after lap after lap after lap of stroke, stroke, stroke, turn, stroke, stroke, etc. for 10 plus minutes is enough to cure insomia.

KEWebb18
January 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM

3. First in the water!

Today I was the fastest and slowest person in my lane. And yes, I had a lane to myself but I don't care!

In the end, it's all about showing up. Getting out of bed is half the battle :bed:

__steve__
January 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I rank myself in the 'sucks' category, when compared to everyone here. But compared to others in the pool I use, I'm the best.

jstonebarger
January 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I moved in August, and in the process went from a 25y local health club pool to a 50m division 1 pool. Humbling doesn't even begin to describe it.

Thrashing Slug
January 4th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I moved in August, and in the process went from a 25y local health club pool to a 50m division 1 pool. Humbling doesn't even begin to describe it.

I got a similar shock when I went from swimming laps on my own and training with the triathlon training group, to morning Masters practices. It's a whole other world. That was about four years ago. I still haven't caught up with my teammates, but I now regularly swim 4000 yard practices while doing flip turns the entire time. In retrospect that's something I couldn't have imagined doing back then. Plus now I can swim fly!

ande
January 4th, 2011, 03:38 PM
How about WET?

Queen
January 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Heard that. I swim at the main Univ.of IL pool and it's a world away from the old 25 yard "Y" pool.

JimRude
January 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
The fastest 45-49 male sprint BR who only trains a few times a week.

ElaineK
January 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
The fastest 45-49 male sprint BR who only trains a few times a week.

Hey J.R., I'm also a 45-49 sprint BR! :banana: But, from what I can tell on The Breaststroke Lane, you're a lot faster than me! :bow:

wnt2bfst
January 5th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Top 10%...which is a joke since I work out at the local health club.

I could probably swim faster if they didn't keep the water temp at 87 for the noodlers...lol. :D

i am defiantly the big fish in a little pond. a very warm little pond. no one so far has been able to keep up with me. but if i were to shared my times, all of you would lhol (laugh hysterically out loud)

2fish&1whale
January 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I didn't vote...-we have seniors,casual swimmers,age groupers and national swimmers,but no masters.
We do however have a lap club, and I had come in 3rd the last 2 years in a row.Though just yesterday our aquatics director pointed out to me that I slipped to 5th in 2010.Oh well,I can live with that.Now I rather swim quality yards with focus on stroke than junk miles of sloppy stuff.