PDA

View Full Version : Legal Jammers

orca1946
January 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
I got 2 pair of Speedo Endurance jammers for Christmas. Are they legal to compete in this year at short course meets?

makesense
January 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
good to go

ande
January 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM
here's what's legal

I got 2 pair of Speedo Endurance jammers for Christmas. Are they legal to compete in this year at short course meets?

orca1946
January 4th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Thanx guys :applaud:

Czarazuk
January 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Not legal. According to the Rule Book, section 102.14.1 C states that "Only swimsuits complying with FINA swimsuit specifications may be worn in any USMS sanctioned or recognized competition."

Here is the link to FINA approved suits: http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=917&Itemid=461

The Speedo Endurance suit is not listed. Therefore, not legal.

I hope I am wrong, since the Speedo Endurance is my suit of choice.

smontanaro
January 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I suspect that means that most suits you'd get out of the grab bag bin at Kiefer or Swim Outlet would probably not be legal either. What are the odds that the manufacturers are going to bother getting $20 suits certified when they know they can make much more money on the $200 suits they did submit for certification? I don't know how expensive the suits on the FINA approved list are. The couple I quickly Googled looked to be in the $200 range though. I ain't gonna be plunking down $200 for a suit I'd use at most a few times during the course of a season.

Will we have to enter the name of the suit we wore for postal swims on our split sheets as well?

We need a :grumble: smiley...

S

fmracing
January 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Would an older aquablade jammer (2005ish) still be allowed even without the newer date of manufacture?

makesense
January 11th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Not legal. According to the Rule Book, section 102.14.1 C states that "Only swimsuits complying with FINA swimsuit specifications may be worn in any USMS sanctioned or recognized competition."

Here is the link to FINA approved suits: http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=917&Itemid=461

The Speedo Endurance suit is not listed. Therefore, not legal.

I hope I am wrong, since the Speedo Endurance is my suit of choice.

Indeed....however we all see that many wear suits not on that list while swimming at USMS meets.

knelson
January 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
This might be a case where there's a rule and there's a de facto rule. The letter of the law might be that only suits on the approved list are allowed, but the reality is no one's going to care about a suit that is clearly not a tech suit. Your old Aquablade is OK (and on the list, anyway). Your grab bag suit is OK. Your Speedo polyester trainer is OK.

There was actually a clarification sent out prior to Worlds in Sweden that said suits on the list are OK even without the FINA approved marking. For example, my Speedo FS-Pro jammer is still legal even though it was produced before they started putting the FINA stamps on the suits.

fmracing
January 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM
suits on the list are OK even without the FINA approved marking.

Perfect, exactly what i needed to hear :) Thanks!

geochuck
January 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
There are lots of legal suits available. I prefer the $30.00 suits over the $259.00 suits. Don't forget that jammers with a modesty panel are not allowed.

orca1946
January 11th, 2011, 06:58 PM
All of the TECH jammers that I have looked at are stupid sized !
A XXXL is 36 ?? Some of masters are not sticks !
I have looked a do not see Speedo Endurance jammers listed any where.
If I want to use them at S C Nats in April, who can I contact to see if they would be legal?

geochuck
January 11th, 2011, 08:31 PM
My waist is 42" I wear a XXXL. Most charts you see re racing suits waist size the swimmers who are wearing them for racing take one or two sizes smaller than sizes posted.

All of the TECH jammers that I have looked at are stupid sized !
A XXXL is 36 ?? Some of masters are not sticks !
I have looked a do not see Speedo Endurance jammers listed any where.
If I want to use them at S C Nats in April, who can I contact to see if they would be legal?

knelson
January 11th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Don't forget that jammers with a modesty panel are not allowed.

I don't agree with you, George. You can't wear a second suit, but I don' see anything anywhere in the rules stating a modesty panel is not allowed.

ande
January 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Don't forget that jammers with a modesty panel are not allowed.

That isn't true.
FINA REQUIREMENTS FOR SWIMWEAR APPROVAL (Regulation valid for swimwear to be used from January 1, 2010) (http://www.fina.org/H2O/docs/rules/SWIMWEAR_APPROVAL_from_01012010.pdf) reads:

in section 3. CRITERIA 3.1 Swimsuits:

(a) Design
• Decency: the wearing of the swimsuit shall not offend morality and good taste (in particular but not exclusively because of the cut and exposure of the parts of the body, covered or not)

and

(b) Material (general)
• Variety of materials: Different materials may be used in one swimsuit
provided they are textile fabrics as defined above and they comply with all
other criteria including notably thickness and permeability (measures to apply
to total layers). Combination of materials shall further not create outstanding
shape(s) or structure(s). Layered materials must be completely attached / bound / stuck together
except where required to protect sensitive parts ("privacy layers").

geochuck
January 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Knelson and Ande

I should have said "Don't forget that many jammers with modesty panels are not allowed."

orca1946
January 12th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Thanx George for the info . How do I go about ordering a suit?
I would think the modesty panel is a given in both gender suits !

Dolphin 2
January 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM
While we’re on the subject of legal VS illegal suits (and the controversy over the validity of the world's records set by using them), I just happened to run across this article:

http://www.newser.com/tag/27926/1/speedo-lzr-racer.html

D2

geochuck
January 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Is it possible it was not the suits fault??

While we’re on the subject of legal VS illegal suits (and the controversy over the validity of the world's records set by using them), I just happened to run across this article:

http://www.newser.com/tag/27926/1/speedo-lzr-racer.html

CD

Dolphin 2
January 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Is it possible it was not the suits fault??

On that note, opponents of FINA's new rules on what is a "legal" suit are are now making comments similar to the National Rifle Association's comment about what is a "legal" gun.

Mainly that “Suits don’t swim –people do”

D2

orca1946
January 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I still think I need to see a list that has Speedo Endurance listed as legal to swim in for Mats !

ElaineK
January 14th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I still think I need to see a list that has Speedo Endurance listed as legal to swim in for Mats !

Hey Orca, I just posted a response to you in the other thread... No worries about the Speedo Endurance; it's 50% polyester/50% PBT; a long-lasting type of polyester. A lycra suit is faster than a Speedo Endurance! Seriously, some of the Forumites at the last Nationals teased me for not wearing a tech suit! TRUST ME, Orca, your Speedo Endurance is nooooo problem! :D

pwb
January 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I still think I need to see a list that has Speedo Endurance listed as legal to swim in for Mats !Yes. If you want an officially stamped suit that's very reasonably priced, I'd suggest you check out geochuck's site and grab one of these: http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html. I got one recently and will race in it next weekend (22nd). I haven't swum in it yet, but the dry fit is way better than the endurance and, for me, seems to approach my current favorite http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=11284&Click=310393 for 1/3rd the price.

orca1946
January 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
THANX Elaine & PWB . I got the info & like the info on Yangfa.

200 fly is what real swimmers do for a cool down !

jaadams1
January 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM
200 fly is what real swimmers do for a cool down !

200 fly is what every swimmer should do...period!!!! :bliss::bliss::bliss:

inflictfreedom
January 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
seriously, wear any jammer or brief ... what you train in is fine. I don't see the point in spending money on any tech suit. Endurance line is just fine. Tech suits are for sponsored athletes otherwise it's vanity. My 2 cents, I think tech suits are similar to shaving, it's a mind game ...

orca1946
January 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM
So do I shave with the jammers just up to where the suit stops or keep going to the top of my leg?

jaadams1
January 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM
So do I shave with the jammers just up to where the suit stops or keep going to the top of my leg?

All the way to your chinny chin chin!! :D

Allen Stark
January 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
With the tech suits I could get by with only shaving the exposed areas,but with the new suits my hairs poke through so I have to shave the whole leg,but YMMV.

orca1946
January 22nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Here we go again with the shaving !!!:badday: