PDA

View Full Version : New year started with 5,100 yds !

orca1946
January 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
I have not gone this far since college in 1967 ! :applaud:
I had a really good feeling & just kept gong. :banana:
At almost 65 :cane:, that is a cool thing to do !

Speedo
January 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I'd say- way to go Oz!

ViveBene
January 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Totally cool!

:cheerleader:

ElaineK
January 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM

:bow:

Jimbosback
January 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
I had a really good feeling & just kept going. :banana:

20 years younger, and that's about what I have planned for the first week of the year. :blush:

Good job. :bow:

couldbebetterfly
January 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM

:applaud:

I did 4800 yds today (first day back) and then GTD told me I needed to pick up the pace to meet my goal :badday: I felt like slapping it!

jaadams1
January 4th, 2011, 08:41 PM
:applaud:

I did 4800 yds today (first day back) and then GTD told me I needed to pick up the pace to meet my goal :badday: I felt like slapping it!

That's because the GTD calculator is a machine, and assumes that all who compete in the GTD are machines also, swimming 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year...:chug:. I, on the other hand prefer to take breaks on the weekend. :bed:

orca1946
January 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I have another goal in mind but will keep it to myself till it is finished !

kgernert
January 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM

I know exactly how you feel. GTD is telling me to pick up the pace too - of course, I'm "slacking" by 0.01. Glad I'm not the only one who feels like hitting my screen... :)

jethro
January 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Today is the first day since the new year I've been able to swim and only did a little. Since I'm now behind, even if I resume my normal pace is this thing going to call me a slacker all year? :confused:

Rykno
January 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
That's because the GTD calculator is a machine, and assumes that all who compete in the GTD are machines also, swimming 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year...:chug:. I, on the other hand prefer to take breaks on the weekend. :bed:

that's going to give me headaches too. I was already 1.3 miles behind before I started swimming this year. but after 3 swims in 5 days I am nearly 3 miles ahead.

it would be cool if the pace was weekly not daily. or if there was a setting for daily, weekly or monthly

orca1946
January 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Let's all remember to enjoy our swims !

couldbebetterfly
January 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Today is the first day since the new year I've been able to swim and only did a little. Since I'm now behind, even if I resume my normal pace is this thing going to call me a slacker all year? :confused:

It may well do, but at least I won't be the only perpetual slacker! I set my goal to motivate me to get to the pool at the weekend, but there is no way I will be there every weekend, so I'm aiming for 25 weekends. Plus I will swim more over the summer so that is taken into account too. Perhaps I will be ahead by the end of July :)

orca1946
January 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
AHH YES - the alt weekend training routine !
On the even # weekends do you drink or eat or BOTH ?

Bobinator
January 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Great job on your New Year's swim OZ!
I usually run behind till summer. It's easy to catch-up when you have a little extra time! If not you can always go ahead and adjust your goal.

couldbebetterfly
January 5th, 2011, 11:23 PM
AHH YES - the alt weekend training routine !
On the even # weekends do you drink or eat or BOTH ?

Both absolutely! Plus the whole "Mom Taxi Service" for my kids' social life, dance lessons etc, having ALL 4 of us sit down to a meal at home together, ironing, which always seems to appear at the weekend and those "odd jobs" it is easier to get on and do when DH can watch the kids.

I do like the idea of the goal revision though :afraid:

orca1946
January 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Sometimes the MOM job takes more to plan then almost anything else in the world. Good job for you adding in swimming !:applaud:

couldbebetterfly
January 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Just FYI - I got 5000 yards in today and I'm now ahead of my goal, so feeling better. Think I'll just "listen" to GTD once a week!

smontanaro
January 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I don't recall seeing it mentioned here yet, but note that you can compare yourself with other GTD participants:

http://www.usms.org/fitness/results11/gtd11results.php

Skip

orca1946
January 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I might need to look into this flog stuff!

kgernert
January 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I gotta say, I love my FLOG. I feel guilty when I don't have anything to enter, so it helps get me to the pool on the days I don't want to go. And, being a "tad" competitive, I like to compare how I'm doing to everyone else - and celebrate when I pass someone I've been trying to catch and also marvel at the people who swam 1,000+ last year. How many flip turns is that? If you haven't used it before, you should try the FLOG. It's fun!

orca1946
January 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
O K I'm in the flog. I will try to motivate myself with this tool.

couldbebetterfly
January 7th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I gotta say, I love my FLOG. I feel guilty when I don't have anything to enter, so it helps get me to the pool on the days I don't want to go. And, being a "tad" competitive, I like to compare how I'm doing to everyone else - and celebrate when I pass someone I've been trying to catch and also marvel at the people who swam 1,000+ last year. How many flip turns is that? If you haven't used it before, you should try the FLOG. It's fun!

I've only just started using it too, and yes - it is a lot of fun. Just irked me that after a tough workout it had the nerve to tell me I was slacking!

Here's to many more yards on the FLOG :chug:

orca1946
January 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM
OK I'm a flogger with 7.43 miles the 1st week.
This could be fun keeping track of it all !