PDA

View Full Version : FLOG Question

JimRude
January 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I've just abandoned my tried and true paper calendar for tracking my workouts, and have started using the USMS FLOG.

Does anyone know how far back one can search for historical workouts? For example, could I go back, say two or three years, and see what I did in detail for a workout then?

Gracias!

ALM
January 4th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I am not sure I completely understand your question but here goes...

You can enter data and/or workouts going back all the way to 1990. At the top of the month view calendar you will see pull-down menus for the month and year. If you select the year you will see that it goes back to 1990.

Of course you would have to enter those old workouts one by one. When entering old data like that, you have several choices:

1) Enter just your monthly (or quarterly, or yearly) yardage totals all into one day on the calendar. This is the quickest way to load your old mileage, but it's not going to show you what you did on a day-by-day basis.

2) Enter your daily yards. This will show you how far you swam each day but won't show you what your workout was.

3) Enter your daily yards and the actual workout into the notes field. This will allow you to have a complete historical record of what you've done, but of course it will take you a while to enter it all.

JimRude
January 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I am not sure I completely understand your question but here goes...

You can enter data and/or workouts going back all the way to 1990. At the top of the month view calendar you will see pull-down menus for the month and year. If you select the year you will see that it goes back to 1990.

That is the answer to my poorly worded question. In 2015, say, I will be able to go back many years to view old workouts.

ALM
January 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
That is the answer to my poorly worded question. In 2015, say, I will be able to go back many years to view old workouts.

Correct. You can enter other things, too. We have been doing open water swims on the weekends and as the water has gotten colder I have been recording the water temperature.

That Guy
January 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Out of curiosity I just started using my FLOG for the first time. I like it, particularly that I can track non-swimming activities as well as swims. :agree: I also signed up for GTD, even though I'm not a yardage monster by any means. Now I have over 5 years of workouts to enter into my FLOG... :afraid:

I am going to keep maintaining my own spreadsheet though. I track the amount of fly that I swim as its own stat. So this morning's unremarkable swim workout will get entered in my spreadsheet as 2500 yards, 750 fly, 53 minutes. I know I can enter the amount of fly I did in the comments field, but my spreadsheet provides statistics - day, week, month, year, etc. Since workout time isn't particularly important to me, I suppose I could enter how much fly I did in the minutes field, so it would look like I'd spent enormous amounts of time doing not very much swimming, but I would know what it all meant... and then knelson and jaadams would call me out for entering unbelievable GTD data... which would be pretty cool now that I think about it...:rolleyes:

To be clear, I realize that adding a stat for how much fly I did would be a really esoteric thing and would open up a can of worms :worms:, which is why I'm not requesting that it be added, but I'm just mentioning that this is a reason that I'll continue to use my own tracking along with the FLOG.

The Fortress
January 5th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Out of curiosity I just started using my FLOG for the first time. I like it, particularly that I can track non-swimming activities as well as swims. :agree: I also signed up for GTD, even though I'm not a yardage monster by any means. Now I have over 5 years of workouts to enter into my FLOG... :afraid:

I am going to keep maintaining my own spreadsheet though. I track the amount of fly that I swim as its own stat. So this morning's unremarkable swim workout will get entered in my spreadsheet as 2500 yards, 750 fly, 53 minutes. I know I can enter the amount of fly I did in the comments field, but my spreadsheet provides statistics - day, week, month, year, etc. Since workout time isn't particularly important to me, I suppose I could enter how much fly I did in the minutes field, so it would look like I'd spent enormous amounts of time doing not very much swimming, but I would know what it all meant... and then knelson and jaadams would call me out for entering unbelievable GTD data... which would be pretty cool now that I think about it...:rolleyes:

To be clear, I realize that adding a stat for how much fly I did would be a really esoteric thing and would open up a can of worms :worms:, which is why I'm not requesting that it be added, but I'm just mentioning that this is a reason that I'll continue to use my own tracking along with the FLOG.

Are you really going to enter 5 years worth?!

I just started flogging as well as blogging. But I agree with you. As a sprinter, I'm not particularly interested in total yardage. I am more interested in tracking non-swimming activities. I'd also like to track kicking yardage and race pace yardage, but I just do that manually in the workout box instead of writing my workout down.

ViveBene
January 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Correct. You can enter other things, too. We have been doing open water swims on the weekends and as the water has gotten colder I have been recording the water temperature.

I did a double-take: we're iced in up here. Below 34 degrees F water temp and zero air temp, nobody cares a lot.

I just started flogging as well as blogging. But I agree with you. As a sprinter, I'm not particularly interested in total yardage. ..<snip>

You get a free swim cap at 50 miles!
:)
Booyah!

jaadams1
January 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I suppose I could enter how much fly I did in the minutes field, so it would look like I'd spent enormous amounts of time doing not very much swimming, but I would know what it all meant... and then knelson and jaadams would call me out for entering unbelievable GTD data... which would be pretty cool now that I think about it...:rolleyes:

I'm gonna call you out anyway...sounds like a good thing to do. Hey why don't you skip out on the Anacortes meet and come over to Wenatchee instead. I need a buddy to swim the 500 FLY with me. :groovy: Otherwise I just have to try to beat the freestylers which is no fun.

As for the FLOG...I've been using it to keep track of my yardage too, but I like that I can put down other things like weight training...or keep track of my body weight to see if it actually does go up in the holidays... :)

swimmerb212
January 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Are you really going to enter 5 years worth?!

I just started flogging as well as blogging. But I agree with you. As a sprinter, I'm not particularly interested in total yardage. I am more interested in tracking non-swimming activities. I'd also like to track kicking yardage and race pace yardage, but I just do that manually in the workout box instead of writing my workout down.

One of my teammates was talking about doing yardage just for the hell of it, and we started calling it "padding the FLOG." (Specifically, he was doing lots of extra warm-up and cool-down at a meet.)

I think one drawback of being so mileage conscious is that we stopped doing some of the non-yardage workout things like vertical kicking and playing that are important beyond just the back and forth.

That Guy
January 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I'm gonna call you out anyway...sounds like a good thing to do.
Sage wisdom, that. :)

Hey why don't you skip out on the Anacortes meet and come over to Wenatchee instead. I need a buddy to swim the 500 FLY with me. :groovy: Otherwise I just have to try to beat the freestylers which is no fun.
Just seed yourself with an accurate time and things will work out fine, assuming a reasonable number of swimmers. (Maybe not a good assumption...) I once watched a 400M free heat where one guy did a 400 breaststroke. Because he seeded himself accurately, and the others did too mostly, it was an exciting race that came down to the last 25. Sad ending for the breaststroker since there's no way to call upon a 6 beat kick at the end like the freestylers did... :cry:

jaadams1
January 6th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Just seed yourself with an accurate time and things will work out fine, assuming a reasonable number of swimmers. (Maybe not a good assumption...) I once watched a 400M free heat where one guy did a 400 breaststroke. Because he seeded himself accurately, and the others did too mostly, it was an exciting race that came down to the last 25. Sad ending for the breaststroker since there's no way to call upon a 6 beat kick at the end like the freestylers did... :cry:

I did seed myself with a 6:15. Should be pretty close. I did 2 400 flys in November and was 5:10 on those, but they were also from a push at a somewhat relaxed even split pace. Not that I'm going to sprint the 1st 100 of my 500 for that matter!! I will however have fairly long streamline glides off the walls with one dolphin kick to get started as I break out. I'm also hoping to be in the lane closest to the lifeguard!!:drowning:

That Guy
January 6th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I did seed myself with a 6:15. Should be pretty close. I did 2 400 flys in November and was 5:10 on those, but they were also from a push at a somewhat relaxed even split pace. Not that I'm going to sprint the 1st 100 of my 500 for that matter!! I will however have fairly long streamline glides off the walls with one dolphin kick to get started as I break out. I'm also hoping to be in the lane closest to the lifeguard!!:drowning:

:bitching: One kick??? I take 7 or more!!! (See New Year's Day workout thread for proof) But 6:15 is a good time. The one time I did a 500 fly, I went 6:48 from a pushoff in practice to make the Butternuts. Total train wreck horror show. :afraid: If I ever attempt it again (not saying I will), I will have to figure something out to stay aerobic, like taking 3 or 4 kicks per stroke instead of 2. :bed:

orca1946
January 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Last year at the end of practice the Devil took over my body & made me do a full 1,000 yards FLY . It was very cool, but I paid for it the next day !:cane:

kgernert
January 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Last year at the end of practice the Devil took over my body & made me do a full 1,000 yards FLY . It was very cool, but I paid for it the next day !:cane:

E-gads! A 1,000 FLY?! You make me feel like a wimp for being nervous to race my first ever 100 FLY the end of this month. :bow: Any tips for me as I prepare for the race?

jaadams1
January 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM
E-gads! A 1,000 FLY?! You make me feel like a wimp for being nervous to race my first ever 100 FLY the end of this month. :bow: Any tips for me as I prepare for the race?

start out with a breathing pattern such as every other stroke. this will allow for you hips to stay up higher in the water while you are not breathing. Swimming horizontally is easier than vertically, especially with fly.

vineman93
January 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know how to look at another person's FLOG?

Chris Stevenson
January 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM

I think you need to be married first. :bolt:

(More seriously: I don't know the answer to your question.)

orca1946
January 17th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Your 1st 100 fly should be easy & long. Don't try to rush it cuz you will hit a point at about 75 that you will not be able pick up your arms !

The Fortress
January 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM

I'm curious if this is possible as well.

I have a link to my flog on my USMS blog. But I've been told that when you click on the link, it does not bring my flog up. Is there a way to make flogs public if you choose?

matysekj
January 18th, 2011, 10:54 PM
That capability is not yet available. It's long been on the "to do" list for the flogs but not yet done. I need to get some time to restructure some of the internals of the flogs before any further development is done on them, including this and adding more entry types.

The Fortress
January 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM
That capability is not yet available. It's long been on the "to do" list for the flogs but not yet done. I need to get some time to restructure some of the internals of the flogs before any further development is done on them, including this and adding more entry types.

Thx for the info, Jim.

Can I suggest adding stretching to the entry types?

JimRude
January 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thx for the info, Jim.

Can I suggest adding stretching to the entry types?

:rolleyes: (This is the eye-roll emoticon)

The Fortress
January 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Jim M,

Maybe add P90X for the HTFU types.

JimRude
January 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Jim M,

Maybe add P90X for the HTFU types.

:banana:

That Guy
January 19th, 2011, 01:15 PM

:shakeshead: :shakeshead: :shakeshead: :shakeshead: :shakeshead: :shakeshead: