PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit Question

like2swim
January 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I'm planning to participate in a triathlon in May. The swim will be in the river. The water temperature is supposed to be in the low 60s. Is it insane for me to try this without a wetsuit?

I've never been inside a wetsuit. They just seem restritive. I participated in a tri last year in October. The water temperature was in the low 70s. That was real nice. I'm just not sure about low 60s.

debaru
January 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm planning to participate in a triathlon in May. The swim will be in the river. The water temperature is supposed to be in the low 60s. Is it insane for me to try this without a wetsuit?

I've never been inside a wetsuit. They just seem restritive. I participated in a tri last year in October. The water temperature was in the low 70s. That was real nice. I'm just not sure about low 60s.

If you do well in cold situations and are a good swimmer, going sans wetsuit may be okay for you. I'll wear a wetsuit if the water temperature is below 60, but for others this number could be higher or lower.

I remember the first time I swam open water with a wetsuit. It felt restrictive to me as well, but this was due to it being new. Typically, you need to use a wetsuit several times to allow it to stretch and conform to your body. When I wear mine now, I almost forget that I'm wearing it, except that I'm much warmer. :) I've had good luck with my Xterra (sleeveless) wetsuit.

As a suggestion, you may want to try swimming in advance where the event will be held with and without a wetsuit (you should be able to rent one at a local sports shop) to see what works better for you.

Good luck with your upcoming tri.

like2swim
January 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Thank you.

I'll look at the xterra. Also, a guy at work recommended desoto t1 bottom. Any thoughts on that one?

orca1946
January 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Try some on & find one that will keep your core warm & not restrict swimming with arm movements.

LovelyRita66
January 6th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I'm a new swimmer and triathlete, started summer 2010. I purchased a sleeveless xterra wetsuit and swam in 58 degree open water. My core was warm and arms, face cold. The cold arms were tolerable and I prefer not to have the constriction on the arms, since I have shoulder issues. Good luck. Hope this helps. :)Rta (for practice in cold open water, it helps to use neoprene cap, to keep head warm)..