PDA

View Full Version : Jan. 1-31, 2011 One-Hour Postal: Who'll be the Champ?

ViveBene
January 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Anyone have new goals for this year?
Or planning to try a new stroke?
Swimming solo or as a team?
As this is a championship swim, someone will wear the crown.
:cheerleader: to all swimmers!

http://www.usms.org/comp/event.php?MeetID=20110101011OHPY

JimRude
January 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
My goal is to attempt it, and to do it all BR.

pwb
January 5th, 2011, 06:59 PM
One-Hour Postal: Who'll be the Champ?Not me.

I keep trying to get myself excited enough about this to actually do it, but it sounds only slightly less boring than the traditional 100 x 100 New Year's Day workout.

Now, if there were stroke divisions and a 4 x 15:00 IM division, maybe I could get interested enough to consider it.

aquageek
January 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'm taking this year off. The emotional scars from last year's effort are still too fresh.

gdanner
January 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Anyone have new goals for this year?

Finish without falling asleep? Haha, I haven't tried doing the 1 hr postal yet, but maybe this year since it's my last year in the 25-29 division.

Now, if there were stroke divisions and a 4 x 15:00 IM division, maybe I could get interested enough to consider it.

That would be awesome.

want2beafish
January 6th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I did the 10K LCM postal swim in either 2008 or 2009 (I can't remember, as my mind is trying to shut out that particular memory). It was awful. Horrible. Mostly horrible mentally, which brought on the physical. Before then, I had done several postal swims, but the 10K experience pretty much burned me out. Open water swims, no problem. But going back and forth and back and forth and... Am not interested. At this point, I'd rather pull my own toenails out. :bolt: Too bad, because I actually somewhat enjoyed the 1 hour, the 3000 SCY and even the 6000 SCY.

ViveBene
January 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
The postals do have the feeling of a school exercise.
But, if you decide you are not competing for the crown ( :) ), you can construct the swim however you want.

ande
January 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking about going postal
doubt I'll be the champ.
There's plenty of whippersnappers with much more whip and snap than I possess.

knelson
January 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I plan to do it. My goal is 5K. Anything over that is gravy. I think I should be able to hold a 1:10 pace or slightly better, so that would put me close to 5,200, but I don't want to bet on it. I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with this event!

edit: also my wife wants to swim it for the first time ever this year! I think she's got a shot at 3,000 yards.

magick17
January 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Probably going at it alone for the first time next friday.

swimfree
January 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I am done with this event. :) Last year I reached my goal of 5k, and I don't have to do it ever again. I have never enjoyed the hour swim, the mental aspect of it is always more difficult for me then the physical.

KEWebb18
January 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I have only thought about doing it,and I think that I would survive if I had quite a few people to swim with and other people on deck cheering me on. I would definitely lose count. But in the end, this event is about 58 minutes too long for me :)

Do a lot of people do this with their team?

Good luck to all of those who do swim it. I always look forward to reading the results and saying "my goodness that's a lot of lengths of the pool in an hour". You distance folks are awesome. :banana:

aquageek
January 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I plan to do it. My goal is 5K. Anything over that is gravy. I think I should be able to hold a 1:10 pace or slightly better, so that would put me close to 5,200, but I don't want to bet on it. I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with this event!

If you have a clock you can see you will never recover from repeating 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 00 over and over in your head for an hour.

knelson
January 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
If you have a clock you can see you will never recover from repeating 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 00 over and over in your head for an hour.

You're right about that. My usual strategy is to ignore the clock as much as possible. I'm going to swim as fast as I'm going to swim. I don't need the extra irritation of knowing I'm four seconds off the pace at the 23 minute mark or whatever!

I counted for my wife who did it for the first time ever today. In fact she joined USMS just to do the One Hour Postal. She ended up swimming 2,895 yards. :applaud:

philoswimmer
January 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm jealous of all of you people doing 5000 yds. I'd be thrilled if I did 4000. Last year I did 3600 and 3800 is probably more realistic for me this year. But I am telling myself to be happy with any improvement.

kgernert
January 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm jealous of all of you people doing 5000 yds. I'd be thrilled if I did 4000. Last year I did 3600 and 3800 is probably more realistic for me this year. But I am telling myself to be happy with any improvement.

I'm exactly like you, philoswimmer. Last year I did 3625. My training partner thinks I can eke out 4000 this year, but time will tell. We're planning do to the hour swim sometime during the week of January 17. Wish me luck - and good luck to you too!

Midas
January 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM

I may try this as well! I'm in no shape this year, but it's a team participation event for us. This may be a fun, low pressure way to attempt it. Then again, my knees might be toast well before the hour is up...

philoswimmer
January 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm exactly like you, philoswimmer. Last year I did 3625. My training partner thinks I can eke out 4000 this year, but time will tell. We're planning do to the hour swim sometime during the week of January 17. Wish me luck - and good luck to you too!

Yes, good luck!!! May we both hit 4000, or at least close to it! Let me know how it goes. I probably won't try until the last week of the month.

2manyxaroundtheblock
January 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Without my cheater suit, I am not looking forward to attacking the one-hour postal with quite the same zeal!!:bow:

sbegonia
January 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hello! :wave:

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been swimming on my own for fitness for many years and I just joined USMS, mostly to take part in the GTD challenge and do some more open water events. I'm thinking about doing the 1-Hr Postal. Can anyone be the verifier or does it have to a coach or lifeguard? Can I pick up a homeless man to record splits?

TIA.

BTW, my goal is 3600 yards.

knelson
January 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Can anyone be the verifier or does it have to a coach or lifeguard? Can I pick up a homeless man to record splits?

Yes, anyone can do it. Just be sure it's someone who can operate a stopwatch. You don't want to finish your swim only to find out your counter messed up!

Midas
January 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hello! :wave:

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've been swimming on my own for fitness for many years and I just joined USMS, mostly to take part in the GTD challenge and do some more open water events. I'm thinking about doing the 1-Hr Postal. Can anyone be the verifier or does it have to a coach or lifeguard? Can I pick up a homeless man to record splits?

TIA.

BTW, my goal is 3600 yards.

It doesn't need to be a coach or a lifeguard. Not sure if there is a rule against the homeless but I'm guessing not...

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it. (I most certainly do NOT enjoy this swim!)

mjtyson
January 12th, 2011, 01:40 PM
My goal is 3400.

One hour is not a problem for me. I have no access to open water here, so I swim two hours straight on Saturdays. Less boring than it sounds with my swimp3!

For anyone interested, the British long distance swimming association (http://www.bldsa.org.uk/) does a one hour postal annually as well. One difference is the Brit one can be swum anytime in Jan or Feb. Cost is $9.

ViveBene
January 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
How are the swims going?

Those who complete all five postal swims during the year earn the USMS Postal Series Challenge patch. It *is* a challenge to do them all, especially the 6,000 yd, so if that is among your goals for the year, you still have a few days left to knock off the first one.

Any patch earners from previous years who'd like to post something about swimming the series?

philoswimmer
January 23rd, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'm doing my one hour postal this Wednesday. :afraid: We'll see! Suggestions for strategies are welcome. Some say to go out slow for the first 20 mins, but I worry that if I go out too slow I'll just fall asleep out there and not be able to pick up my momentum later.

kgernert
January 23rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
I'm doing my one hour postal this Wednesday. :afraid: We'll see! Suggestions for strategies are welcome. Some say to go out slow for the first 20 mins, but I worry that if I go out too slow I'll just fall asleep out there and not be able to pick up my momentum later.

The basic strategy I employed for the hour swim when I did it last week was to swim for 60:00. That was my whole strategy and I ended up going 200 yards farther this year than last! YAY! Hope it helps :blush:

GOOD LUCK!:cheerleader:

sharon.dean
January 23rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
I am a new masters swimmer (1 year) and swim for fitness, not to compete. I always uses fins. I did this postal without fins (of course), and was hoping to log 250 yards. I was surprised and delighted to log 900 yards. Pleased with my 3 minute laps (unaided by my trusty fins). I love Masters !

kgernert
January 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
I am a new masters swimmer (1 year) and swim for fitness, not to compete. I always uses fins. I did this postal without fins (of course), and was hoping to log 250 yards. I was surprised and delighted to log 900 yards. Pleased with my 3 minute laps (unaided by my trusty fins). I love Masters !

:applaud: Way to go, Sharon! Swimming without fins and still well exceeding your expectation is fabulous. You go, girl!

philoswimmer
January 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
The basic strategy I employed for the hour swim when I did it last week was to swim for 60:00. That was my whole strategy and I ended up going 200 yards farther this year than last! YAY! Hope it helps :blush:

GOOD LUCK!:cheerleader:
Thank you!! Congratulations on going 200 yards farther!! That's my goal, too.

kgernert
January 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Thank you!! Congratulations on going 200 yards farther!! That's my goal, too.

Good Luck on your swim. Seriously, once I found a good tempo, I just kept it up - no matter what. Have fun!

philoswimmer
January 23rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Good Luck on your swim. Seriously, once I found a good tempo, I just kept it up - no matter what. Have fun!

Ok, I'll try to do that, too. Thanks!!

philoswimmer
January 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Ok, I only made it 75 yards farther, and not the 200 I had hoped for -- but it's something! More next year! (I can't believe I can even think about next year... it's amazing how quickly the agony of it fades...)

mjtyson
January 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Well, met and passed my goal! I swam 3650 and couldn't be happier. Woo-hoo!!!

philoswimmer
January 29th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Well, met and passed my goal! I swam 3650 and couldn't be happier. Woo-hoo!!!

Well done!!!

gigi
January 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I'm swimming my first-ever One-Hour Postal today - my strategy - - - steady as she goes....

sbegonia
January 29th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I swam my first ever one-hour postal today. My initial goal was 3600... then my last few workouts had me doubting myself and thinking I'll be closer to 3300-3400. Well, I went 3530 today - just a hair over 2 miles. :bouncing:

JDY
January 30th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I survived this swim today. Not as much yardage as I would have liked but it was just way too many turns! This is the one postal I really dislike, why? I sure don't know when I have gone over 6.5 hours in open water!

made 4100 with 80% of my splits 44 sec. Guess I am boring :D

gigi
January 30th, 2011, 08:52 AM
First One-hour: mission accomplished! 3850 (a bit lower than my goal of 4000), but I have a plan to do better in 2012
1. loosen goggles to prevent scorching headache
2. eat something before swimming
3. seek out a possible 50m venue bec. I think all those turns made me nauseated...or maybe that one's just in my head.

Anyway it was a good experience and I've done my part for New England Masters!

mjtyson
January 30th, 2011, 09:06 AM
gigi,
Did you do a warm up? I've found over the years of postals, that if I jump in the pool cold and just swim it, then I don't do near as well as I do when I do a warm up.

I do a standard warm up of 1 x 400 easy, 4 x 100 medium, 4 x 50 fast. I've done that before my 3000 yard and my one-hour postal and I've swum faster than I've done in past postals (15-min; 30-min; brute squad).

I'm sold on doing a warm up. Makes for a long day with the one-hour and holy crap it's gonna make it a really long day when I finally attack the 6000 and 10K, but I'm gonna stick to it.

Anyone else out there do warm-ups before these postals?

philoswimmer
January 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM
gigi,
Did you do a warm up? I've found over the years of postals, that if I jump in the pool cold and just swim it, then I don't do near as well as I do when I do a warm up.

I do a standard warm up of 1 x 400 easy, 4 x 100 medium, 4 x 50 fast. I've done that before my 3000 yard and my one-hour postal and I've swum faster than I've done in past postals (15-min; 30-min; brute squad).

I'm sold on doing a warm up. Makes for a long day with the one-hour and holy crap it's gonna make it a really long day when I finally attack the 6000 and 10K, but I'm gonna stick to it.

I did a short warm up (much shorter than what you describe), but I wish I had done one a little bit longer (still not as long as the one you describe). In particular, doing some short sprints would have been helpful for me, I think. My shoulders were pretty tight. (and the pool water was warm... wah... wah... what other excuses can I come up with?)

orca1946
January 30th, 2011, 02:17 PM
When will the results be posted ?

swimmerb212
January 30th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Congrats to everyone who's done so well at this event!

I just found a way to get my hour swim in before the end of the month, and I didn't even have to dodge icebergs in the Hudson River...

My goal was 4000, and I made it to 3950 with 0 seconds to spare. And I'm going to go ahead an be really happy with that, since I did 3825 last year. Also, it felt pretty good except for the goggle induced headache. My best accomplishment was keeping accurate count of my yardage, with a margin of error of 50 yards or so. I just thought of the swim as 4 x 1000.

Now the question is: can I squeeze another 50 in by this time next year???? And will I be able to do the other 4 events this year?

knelson
January 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Normally I do. Ideally I'll get in at least a few hundred of nice easy swimming before starting. This year I was pressed for time so only had time for a 50 before starting. I could definitely feel it initially. I was tight and a little sore for the first maybe ten minutes. I doubt it made a big difference in my total yardage. Probably less than 25 yards.

orca1946
January 30th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I would think warming up for an hour swim would not be needed.
Maybe I need to rethink this ?:agree:

darrinlajoie
January 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks to my timer. Attending a 5am Monday lap swim to click a stopwatch is above and beyond. I promise to schedule better next year... and plan a nice valentines day this year. :smooch:

gigi
January 31st, 2011, 06:55 PM
gigi,

I did not warm up before this swim, and I'm a real warm-up stickler usually. I just thought I'd take my first 500 easy and call that my warm-up. I will definitely go with a warm-up next year and see if it makes a difference. thanks for the advice!

ViveBene
February 2nd, 2011, 04:34 AM
Congratulations to all who swam this event, perhaps adding 100 or 150 over last year's distance! Thanks to those who provided helpful hints for surviving with dignity, and a special shoutout to first-time swimmers!

:applaud: