PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Track Start

Herb
January 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I still haven't arrived at a starting form in my masters career and am thinking the track start is what I might need to go to.

Is the track start better than the grab start for the flexibility challenged like myself?

Do I put my weight forward or back? and on a related note, if I have one leg that is stronger than the other which position should that be in?

Speedo
January 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
When I started swimming again as a master, I was pressured to convert to a track start. It was an easy transition. If you do adopt it, I'd suggest placing your stronger/longer/sexier leg forward. I find that the rear foot just gets the motion going, but the front foot delivers the power. :2cents:

jaadams1
January 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I still haven't arrived at a starting form in my masters career and am thinking the track start is what I might need to go to.

Is the track start better than the grab start for the flexibility challenged like myself?

Do I put my weight forward or back? and on a related note, if I have one leg that is stronger than the other which position should that be in?

I prefer the track start for races, as I find I have a faster reaction time and can get "out" more on the start rather than feeling like I'm going downward. There is also more stability in the track start position, especially if you are flexible challenged as you stated. You would want your weight more on the front leg than the back. This way when the signal sounds, you don't have far to go. I am a right handed/footed person, and I always have my right leg in the back position, but this is just a personal preference. You really just have to try out different positions and use what works best for you.

The Fortress
January 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Agree with Speedo.

I like the neutral position best once you've set your feet. I've tried the leaning back slingshot approach, but I don't get into the water as cleanly. (That could be a height issue though.) Plus, I think you get better reaction times on the track start. The grab start traditionalists will tell you that they get further on the grab start. However, if you have a good SDK, I think it's better to get in the water fast and start kicking.

Spock
January 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Try a few of each with a friend timing you to 15 yards/meters. It's not just about the fastest off the block or the furthest in the air or the quickest reaction or the cleanest entry ... it's about getting to the wall the fastest. Many variables come into play.

You might find that getting off the block later but cleaner into the water is faster (or vice-versa). Experiment and have fun.

ande
January 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
PROBABLY, IT'S NOT AS DIFFICULT

Do I put my weight forward or back?
FAIRLY BALANCED SLIGHTLY FORWARD

If I have one leg that is stronger than the other which position should that be in?
TRY BOTH
FIND OUT WHICH YOU PREFER
DID YOU EVER SKATE BOARD, SURF, SLALOM WATER SKI OR SNOWBOARD?
WHICH FOOT DID YOU PUT UP FRONT?
ARE YOU A GOOFY FOOT OR NORMAL?
I PUT MY LEFT FOOT FORWARD.

SWIM FASTER FASTER Tip 177a Crocker's Track Start Tips

orca1946
January 7th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I will try both. I have had my righr hip replaced & feel as if that leg is weaker,so I will put my left foot forward.

Herb
January 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Once upon a time, I did slalom water ski and skateboard with my right foot forward. But now that is my banged up leg, so I will try the left foot forward. Thanks for the tips.

Unfortantely, the only time I have to practice is at meets. A couple of times I've been right on the verge of instant calf cramp soon after hitting the water, although I can't recall which leg it was. Hopefully the strengthening I've done will help me.