PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Meet Feb. 12 & 13- Who's Going?

ElaineK
January 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Who's going to Auburn for the meet, February 12-13? Anybody from GAJA? I'm waiting until the last minute to sign up, just in case we get another ice storm that keeps me off the roads :badday:. But, I'm planning on going and swimming 50, 100, and 200 breaststroke. I would like to swim on a relay (or two), as well, since I was the odd gal out for the relays at Nationals and never got the chance. If you need a 45-49 gal to swim breaststroke on your relay, let me know! :banana:

Cheers!
:chug:

Donna
January 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Just sign up! You have to sign up ahead of time and you know the weathermen can't predict that far in advance with any acuracy.

See you there.

ElaineK
January 15th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Just sign up! You have to sign up ahead of time and you know the weathermen can't predict that far in advance with any acuracy.

See you there.

Well, that's definitely true, here, compared to my native California! But, if I look at the 10-day forecast, on Feb. 6, and see nothing but :badday: in the forecast, I'll give it a miss. Afterall, this past ice storm had a prediction of 100% and they were 100% correct! :applaud: You won't find me making the two-hour drive to Auburn if the forecast is rotten, so I'll hold on to my $50 until Super Bowl Sunday.

mcountryman
January 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I'll be there...just haven't signed up yet. I can't decide which events to swim. Hmmm, maybe I'll swim some breastroke, NOT, but I'll be there to cheer you on!!

See you there!

ElaineK
January 17th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I'll be there...just haven't signed up yet. I can't decide which events to swim. Hmmm, maybe I'll swim some breastroke, NOT, but I'll be there to cheer you on!!

See you there!

Thanks!!! I'll be looking for you in fly and free, right? You do great in whatever events you swim in! I'll be cheering you on, too! :cheerleader:

Lump
January 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'll be there. Swimming some off events as well as my usual....should be an adventure!

Its a great meet for those who haven't been or worried about the weather. Last year we had snow and it was no problem getting there. Obviously the facility is first rate and it will give a bit of a preview (although in SCY) of what to expect for Nationals in August.

Donna
January 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'll be the nut case swimming the 1650 Free, 200 Fly and 400 IM on Saturday! Seriously Sick!!!! Thank you.

ElaineK
January 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I'll be the nut case swimming the 1650 Free, 200 Fly and 400 IM on Saturday! Seriously Sick!!!! Thank you.

:afraid:

want2beafish
January 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM

I agree. Seriously sick. :)

Good luck and see you there! I don't think we've swum at the same meet since Puerto Rico! I'll be there Sunday for sure, and possibly Saturday as well. I'll swim the 1650, but will stick with freestyle and 200 IM. Wish I had entered 200 back instead of 200 IM, but it will be a good comparison to last year.

Lump
January 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I'm gonna do the 1650..a first since 1991 maybe? Although I'm just gonna use it as a warm up mostly.

Also doing 50 breast....probably the first time I've entered a breastroke event since I was 8 years old and knew I sucked at breastroke! No idea why...its a dive, a pullout, a turn, and another pullout....so not much breastroke at all really!

mcountryman
January 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Yep...that is sick, but I LIKE IT! I look forward to meeting you.

ElaineK
January 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm gonna do the 1650..a first since 1991 maybe? Although I'm just gonna use it as a warm up mostly.

Also doing 50 breast....probably the first time I've entered a breastroke event since I was 8 years old and knew I sucked at breastroke! No idea why...its a dive, a pullout, a turn, and another pullout....so not much breastroke at all really!

Hey, what's your seed time for 50 breast? I'll make sure to look for you in that event- probably after I finish up with mine. At 38.90 seed, I'm sure my heat will be way before yours, even if breaststroke isn't your event. I'm sure you'll be fast, anyway! :cheerleader:
P.S. I hope I can just get somewhere close to my seed time at this meet! Training in an 85 degree pool is killing me... :badday:

Donna
January 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Actually the hot water training should make you faster when you hit the cold water. My kids team trains in water that is usually 84 but can get to 86 at times. We just modify the workout to suit the water conditions.

hnatkin
January 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Kristen - glad you decided to come on Sun for sure. Hopefully we can have a race again. I think I am going to seed myself at 6 min since that's about where I've been hitting this fall. If you change your mind, I'm swimming the 200 back. Fly is still on hiatus, so no IMs, except maybe the 100 so I can get in 3 races on Sat. I figure that won't stress my shoulder too much.

Lump
January 20th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hey, what's your seed time for 50 breast? I'll make sure to look for you in that event- probably after I finish up with mine. At 38.90 seed, I'm sure my heat will be way before yours, even if breaststroke isn't your event. I'm sure you'll be fast, anyway! :cheerleader:
P.S. I hope I can just get somewhere close to my seed time at this meet! Training in an 85 degree pool is killing me... :badday:

I think 34.7 or so. I'm slow as dirt! I can pull, but when I kick I go absolutely nowhere!

BTW, is everyone going to the social? It always nice to have a beer or two, kick back and meet everyone.

want2beafish
January 21st, 2011, 10:34 AM
Kristen - glad you decided to come on Sun for sure. Hopefully we can have a race again. I think I am going to seed myself at 6 min since that's about where I've been hitting this fall. If you change your mind, I'm swimming the 200 back. Fly is still on hiatus, so no IMs, except maybe the 100 so I can get in 3 races on Sat. I figure that won't stress my shoulder too much.
Heidi, hopefully we'll be close to the center of the pool in the 500. I put my seed at 6:00 too. Hoping to go a little faster, but we'll see. I entered online a couple of weeks ago just so I wouldn't be shut out of the 1650. I'm really hoping to be able to be there both days. Unfortunately I didn't enter the 200 back, but was only at three events for Sunday so emailed Conner Bailey a couple of hours ago to see if I can be added. My backstroke start sucks, so I'll have to start working on it. If I'm feeling especially tired after the 200 back, I might scratch the 200 IM.

Sorry to hear that your shoulder is still acting up. That's got to be frustrating.

want2beafish
January 21st, 2011, 10:37 AM
I think 34.7 or so. I'm slow as dirt! I can pull, but when I kick I go absolutely nowhere!

BTW, is everyone going to the social? It always nice to have a beer or two, kick back and meet everyone.

Bah! I've seen how slow you are. :)

I didn't sign up for the social, but if people I know are going I'll consider it. I hate to sign up and pay in advance and then not go. That's what I did last year.

hnatkin
January 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Kristen - I'm a gutter grabber on my backstroke start. You couldn't be much worse than that! My shoulder's not exactly acting up, it's in a pretty stable place at the moment because I'm not training any fly. If I start to train fly for the IMs though, it will start giving me problems like it did in the fall. So I'm just in a holding pattern.
Jeff - have you tried to learn the wave breaststroke? Put some more fly kick into your legs and I'll bet you take off! I've taken 6 seconds off my 50 time in 2 years by learning the wave!

Lump
January 21st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Bah! I've seen how slow you are. :)

I didn't sign up for the social, but if people I know are going I'll consider it. I hate to sign up and pay in advance and then not go. That's what I did last year.

Compared to any other male of my age....yes, I am slooooowww!

Jeff - have you tried to learn the wave breaststroke? Put some more fly kick into your legs and I'll bet you take off! I've taken 6 seconds off my 50 time in 2 years by learning the wave!

I have NO desire to learn ANYTHING breastroke! I will forever suck....and I'm good with that! :D I may even try to get away with a one-handed turn cause that is all I do in workout!

ElaineK
February 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'm in! The weather forecast looks beautiful for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; no chance of rain or SNOW. So, I signed up last night, using yesterday's Marist SCY meet as seed times ( :badday: ).

At the meet, Walt said there were 40 GAJA swimmers signed up. Make that 41! Donna, I'm signed up for both medley relays, so I hope you need two breaststroke slots filled! My PB is 38.90, but I'm currently swimming the 50br. in 42+. (Training in a pool set at 86 degrees in the winter is killing me. Time to start driving to another pool for my speed days!)

See ya all on Saturday! Goooooooo GAJA (and other Georgia swimmers!) :cheerleader:

mcountryman
February 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm in! The weather forecast looks beautiful for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; no chance of rain or SNOW. So, I signed up last night, using yesterday's Marist SCY meet as seed times ( :badday: ).

At the meet, Walt said there were 40 GAJA swimmers signed up. Make that 41! Donna, I'm signed up for both medley relays, so I hope you need two breaststroke slots filled! My PB is 38.90, but I'm currently swimming the 50br. in 42+. (Training in a pool set at 86 degrees in the winter is killing me. Time to start driving to another pool for my speed days!)

See ya all on Saturday! Goooooooo GAJA (and other Georgia swimmers!) :cheerleader:
Make that 42...I signed up last night too!! I'm up for swimming relays also if I am a good fit.

I didn't go to the Marist meet because I went to a meet last weekend in Charlotte and 3 weekends in a row would have been a bit much. I don't want to drive my husband crazy with swimming!

The pool I train in is also hot. You'll be surprised how well you swim when you hit the cooler water at the meet.

See ya there...looking forward to meeting everyone. :bliss:

ElaineK
February 6th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Make that 42...I signed up last night too!! I'm up for swimming relays also if I am a good fit.

I didn't go to the Marist meet because I went to a meet last weekend in Charlotte and 3 weekends in a row would have been a bit much. I don't want to drive my husband crazy with swimming!

The pool I train in is also hot. You'll be surprised how well you swim when you hit the cooler water at the meet.

See ya there...looking forward to meeting everyone. :bliss:

:cheerleader: Way to go, Marianne! Glad you will definitely be joining us! Congrats. on your success in Charlotte; John Ziegler filled us in during the swim meet meeting at the break. :applaud:

Training in hot water/ competing in cooler water works for most people; just not me. It's the training in hot water that messes me up, because of my heat intolerance (medical) issues. My speed days in the 86 degree water are quite a challenge! It was evident at yesterday's meet where my splits got progressively worse in each of my races. I just couldn't hold the tempo and keep my stroke count down, because I was too pooped out to put muscle into my pulls and kicks. It's amazing how much difference 2 degees makes in a pool. Training in an 84 degees (although still too warm) pool got me my PB's in each of my events, last August/ September. My training times got worse when the temp. was raised to 85 degrees. And, now, my last two meets have resulted in slower times, since the pool water has been at 86 degrees. My training times have been worse, as well.

It looks like I'll have to carve out some time out of my already-busy schedule to do more of my speed work at the Steve Lundquist pool, where the water is set at 81+/- degrees. :bliss:

See you in Auburn! :banana:

Donna
February 7th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Elaine, Looking forward to see you at the meet. Don't worry about how you do, just have fun. My philosophy is to do the best you can for that day and don't worry about it, just have fun.

I don't expect any fast times just solid times.

Should be fun.

want2beafish
February 8th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Elaine, Looking forward to see you at the meet. Don't worry about how you do, just have fun. My philosophy is to do the best you can for that day and don't worry about it, just have fun.

I don't expect any fast times just solid times.

Should be fun.

Hey Donna, it will be good to see you again! I don't think we've seen each other since Puerto Rico, which seems like ages ago. Probably because of all of this cold weather (in the Atlanta area, at least).

Still haven't decided whether I'm going to do a mini-taper for this meet. I'm thinking of just toning it down for a couple of days. I'm hesitant to cut out my running, as I've been running better than I've been swimming lately and have a 10K on the 26th that I want to do well in (translation: I want to beat my husband :)). I'm not 100% sure I'll be there on Saturday, as if my son makes finals in an individual event at the high school state meet, I'll be there instead. Probably will just consider this mostly a train-through meet and taper for St. Pat's. I guess. Or maybe I'll just not taper until Auburn nats and keep running.

I'm hoping to be able to work out a counter trade for the mile. Likely not with anyone posting on this thread (except maybe Jeff), as we will probably be in the same heat.

Donna
February 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
You and I will be in back to back heats but I too will need a counter. I know our teammates will help us out.

I am not tapering since I am working thru some muscle issues.

My son is coming with me. The soon to be 13 year old wants to see some college girls. He is too young...

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Lump
February 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
My wife, Kerri, is coming with me. We got my parents to watch the kids! :applaud::D Hope everyone is going to the social as well. If not you should, contact Conner Bailey now so he can have an accurate head count.

ElaineK
February 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM
My wife, Kerri, is coming with me. We got my parents to watch the kids! :applaud::D Hope everyone is going to the social as well. If not you should, contact Conner Bailey now so he can have an accurate head count.

I'll be there, along with my husband, Bruce! See you there!! :banana:

Donna
February 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
We need volunteer counters! I'll count for anyone in a heat after me. Don't know if I trust my girl watching son to do it right. THe last meet I took him to he and Jake Minasi disappeared to watch the cheerleaders while the mom's swam their meet.

That was a few years back at UGA.

Lump
February 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM
We need volunteer counters! I'll count for anyone in a heat after me. Don't know if I trust my girl watching son to do it right. THe last meet I took him to he and Jake Minasi disappeared to watch the cheerleaders while the mom's swam their meet.

I think I'll be in the first, fastest, heat so I too can count for folks after me....albeit, I might need a breif, quick warm down if you are in the heat right after mine.

want2beafish
February 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM

I guess if he was girl watching at 10, it only makes sense that he'd still be doing it at 13. :)

I'll be in the first heat as well, although I wish I were in the second heat... Same as Jeff, I'll be happy to count for anyone after a quick warm down. Maybe someone in a later heat can start counting for you, Donna, and then Jeff or I can take over as soon as we swim down.

One of my teammates might be able to count for me if he arrives early enough. I'm practicing counting to 66 by myself, though, just in case.

Lump
February 11th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I guess if he was girl watching at 10, it only makes sense that he'd still be doing it at 13. :)

I'll be in the first heat as well, although I wish I were in the second heat... Same as Jeff, I'll be happy to count for anyone after a quick warm down. Maybe someone in a later heat can start counting for you, Donna, and then Jeff or I can take over as soon as we swim down.

One of my teammates might be able to count for me if he arrives early enough. I'm practicing counting to 66 by myself, though, just in case.

Just be FIRST (lead the heat) and listen for the bell, 2 laps left!:D

want2beafish
February 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Just be FIRST (lead the heat) and listen for the bell, 2 laps left!:D
In order to do that, I might have to go over and get some hints from the "How Cheaters Cheat" thread! :bolt:

Lump
February 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
In order to do that, I might have to go over and get some hints from the "How Cheaters Cheat" thread! :bolt:

Oh my, look at that, my counter missed a 50...or 100! :D

want2beafish
February 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Oh my, look at that, my counter missed a 50...or 100! :D
Based on my time, she may have added one. :afraid:

ElaineK
February 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
What a FUN meet, wasn't it? Auburn did an outstanding job organizing and running the meet on schedule! :applaud:

It was great meeting my fellow GAJA teammates: Donna, Kristin, Alison, Jeff, and Jennifer. Thanks to Kristin, Alison, and Marianne, for taking me on as your fourth in our relay! I appreciated your warm welcome!! :) I'll look forward to seeing you all at St. Pats! :banana:

Donna
February 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
This was just the meet I needed to get me motivated again. Thanks everyone!

PS - Brute Squad was a great challenge. Don't be surprised if one of these days I pull a 500 Fly out just to say "I can do it!"

coachr
February 14th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hi Donna,

Thanks for the help. Nothing leaving a meet feeling like an idiot. I now have anew course to chart. Very enjoyable...educational experience. 45 year old sprinters are a dime a dozen. Doing it diffferentlt at St. Pat's

Mark L. Rogers

coachr
February 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM
It was agreat 2 days at AUburn. Nice meet, nice people, nice social...look forwatd to next year!

mark

ElaineK
February 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
It was agreat 2 days at AUburn. Nice meet, nice people, nice social...look forwatd to next year!

mark

Aha! I now know who you are on the forums! I just posted about you on the Aburn thread I started in the "General" section. Check it out! :D