PDA

View Full Version : Does Go the Distance also have medals and ribbons as awards?

dearworths
January 18th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Just wondering if Go the Distance also has medals and ribbons as awards? For overall? For age group? Thanks! Suzann

Chris Stevenson
January 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
The awards are listed here:

http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance

Keep in mind that GTD is meant to be a fitness event, not a competition event.

The "competition" is (supposedly) only against the goal that you set or certain milestones (eg, doing more than 100 miles for the year), not against each other. Giving awards for the top distances would be counter to that philosophy.

orca1946
January 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
The concept of the FLOG is to keep us on track of ooals not awards, but I see that there are things that we can get.

Rykno
January 30th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Keep in mind that GTD is meant to be a fitness event, not a competition event.

The "competition" is (supposedly) only against the goal that you set or certain milestones (eg, doing more than 100 miles for the year), not against each other. Giving awards for the top distances would be counter to that philosophy.

I thought so too, but then read this posted by USMS on Facebook

Former Lafayette Mayor and current City Councilman Don Tatzin swam an amazing 1,789.18 miles in 2010 on his way to winning the United States Masters Swimming “Go the Distance” competition.

Bobinator
January 30th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I felt like I won as did any participant who met his/her goal.
I've never read anything on this website that declared anyone the absolute winner of the GTD event.

debaru
January 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
The person who wrote the article that was posted on Facebook used the terms "winning" and "competition". I can't find this verbage anywhere on the GTD webpage at USMS.org.

orca1946
January 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Achieving one's goal should be enough !:applaud:

jethro
January 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I don't get the point of an overall winner for GTD. To determine who has the most free time to spend in the water?

jaadams1
January 30th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I don't get the point of an overall winner for GTD. To determine who has the most free time to spend in the water?

Shoot, If I could have done the GTD 12-15 years ago in college, I could be "winning" the whole thing, just like a lot of people could have. 7000-8000 or more yards a workout, 10-11 times a week.
But the fact is that in Masters, most of us have jobs, family, or other commitments that keep us from spending that many hours in the pool. We just have to make good use of what time we have now. :cheerleader:

Bobinator
January 30th, 2011, 08:54 PM
It's a cool event because it is relevant to any level of swimmer although I'm cool with anyone who goes over 1,000 miles in a year claiming to "win" the event. Whatever floats your boat works for me!! :)

debaru
January 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
The bottom line is that we're all winners regardless of the distance we're able to swim during the course of year! :applaud:

My goal last year was to swim 250 miles, which I just managed to do given 2010 was my first full year back swimming after a very long absence. By the Fall, I was becoming a bit obsessed with making sure I was keeping up with my goal, so this year I'm not so worried about hitting any particular number. I just want to get in 4 good quality workouts each week, and if I manage to make my goal, that's an added benefit. :)

Chris Stevenson
February 3rd, 2011, 03:47 AM
I thought so too, but then read this posted by USMS on Facebook

Maybe it was posted on the USMS Facebook page, but it was not written by USMS:

http://lamorinda.patch.com/announcements/lafayette-city-councilman-is-lamorindas-ultimate-fish-out-of-water

Anyway, personally I think it is appropriate the way it is done: various goodies from sponsors as "awards" for achieving certain milestones, irrespective of how much others have done.

Bobinator
February 3rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
I agree Chris and I love getting my goodies too!
I have made "All-American Swimwear" and Nike my new "go to" online store for swim stuff. I's very generous of them to "award" us with all the goodies and I plan to reciprocate with my business! :applaud:

kgernert
February 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I must say, I've trained in Dolfin suits because they are well-made and relatively inexpensive. I was interested to see how the Nike compared when I earned it during last year's GTD. I love it! I am definitely going to hit 500 miles again this year - just so I can get another one. It's awesome to get something for free. It's even better when you love what you get! :banana: Such a good motivator!

Chris Stevenson
February 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
I am definitely going to hit 500 miles again this year - just so I can get another one. It's awesome to get something for free.

Nothing free about it...you earned it with every stroke of those 500 miles.:)

But I get your meaning, I liked the Nike suit too. Especially since I didn't expect anything, I guess I didn't read the fine print on the GTD page.