PDA

View Full Version : Laura Val Breaks Six Masters World Records in One Race

havepoolwillswim
January 19th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Laura Val Breaks Six Masters World Records in One Race -- January 18, 2011

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/26199.asp?q=Laura-Val-Breaks-Six-Masters-World-Records-in-One-Race

scyfreestyler
January 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Absolutely incredible!

Bobinator
January 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
She's amazing! Definitely in a league of her own! :applaud:

orca1946
January 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I would say she owns the pool !:applaud::banana::cheerleader:

Bobinator
January 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Agreed Oz!!

Midas
January 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
She may own the pool, but it's near impossible to get her to lead the lane in practice!

Celestial
January 19th, 2011, 09:45 PM
She may own the pool, but it's near impossible to get her to lead the lane in practice!
Love it! That's my kind of girl!
MOST Impressive! :applaud:

ande
January 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
congrats
impressive feat
I'm not worthy

swimshark
January 20th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Wow!

ourswimmer
January 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Laura Val Breaks Six Masters World Records in One Race -- January 18, 2011

At the 400-meter mark, Val began crushing the records, this time erasing Barbara Dunbar's world record of 5:22.47 with a 5:02.65.

The margin of record-breaking for the longer distances is huge, but what I find most impressive is that she started so fast but still held on to hit all the records. If she had swum that 1500 for the fastest possible 1500 time, she probably would have been at around the same time for 400 and faster for 800, but she probably would have missed the records in the 50, the 100, and the 200. Certainly if I had taken the first 200 out in 2:24, I would have needed much more than 17:15 to finish the rest!

Charge
January 21st, 2011, 01:16 AM
That's just stupid good.

knelson
January 21st, 2011, 10:34 AM
What's Laura's history in swimming outside Masters? It's just amazing she is this much faster than her competition. Has anything like this ever been done before? It's truly amazing!

Frank Thompson
January 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
What's Laura's history in swimming outside Masters? It's just amazing she is this much faster than her competition. Has anything like this ever been done before? It's truly amazing!

Kirk:

I don't know when you started to swim masters and joined the organization, but there have been several stories about Laura in our USMS publication and in Swimming World. I know she swam in the 1968 Olympic Trials in the 100 meter Fly as Laura Bendit and placed 17th. I have linked a story below that explains her history outside Masters. Its a little of out of date but it basically explains swimming before masters.

http://www.usms.org/hist/sto/index.php?ID=81&srt=

arthur
January 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Kirk:

I don't know when you started to swim masters and joined the organization, but there have been several stories about Laura in our USMS publication and in Swimming World. I know she swam in the 1968 Olympic Trials in the 100 meter Fly as Laura Bendit and placed 17th. I have linked a story below that explains her history outside Masters. Its a little of out of date but it basically explains swimming before masters.

http://www.usms.org/hist/sto/index.php?ID=81&srt=
Thanks for linking to that inspiring article.

debaru
January 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM

From all of the articles and videos I've read/viewed, the things that stick in my mind is that Laura has been swimming seriously for 50 years, swims 5 days a week and doesn't do anything other than swim (i.e., no dryland, etc.). :bow:

She is an incredible woman, but I'm sure she works very hard for her success. :applaud:

Michael Heather
January 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM

Yes it has, a few times, just not by her.

Rich Abrahams
January 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Very nice interview with Laura on the Morning Swim Show

http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/shows/the-morning-swim-show/morning-swim-show-episodes/9328

Bobinator
January 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I have noticed she has a very youthful appearance. I'm not sure if that is just a benefit of master's swimming, or if she's fast because she is just ageing better than lot of us! I do not mean to imply that she doesn't work hard for her goals, obviously she does!
Very inspirational!

TRYM_Swimmer
January 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Very nice interview with Laura on the Morning Swim Show

http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/shows/the-morning-swim-show/morning-swim-show-episodes/9328

I loved it! Oh, I didn't think it was that big a deal, or something like that! Nice person.

couldbebetterfly
January 27th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I loved it! Oh, I didn't think it was that big a deal, or something like that! Nice person.

Me too - I liked the way she said she was in it for the love of the sport, but she is also very competitive and breaking records is fun!