PDA

View Full Version : 100m

Jamesmap2
January 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM
http://forums.usms.org/images/icons/icon9.gif FLY 100m?!?!?!?
Hey guys, I've been swimming for about 6 months now. I swim 4 or 5 times a week for about 3 kays. I recently started butterfly a month ago and almost straight away I could do 30m, but I just can't go any further. I know I've got a good stroke cos a coach I see sometimes said so.

I was wondering if anyone had some drills or anaerobic exercises that would help me do 100m or more cos I've been stuck for ages.

my times
Free
50m: 30
100m:1.18
200m:2.50

25fly: around 15

swimlong
January 20th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Try doing drills of 3 stokes one arm, 3 the other, 3 full stroke (or 4/4/4, if you breathe every two strokes) Increase your distance this way, then reduce the 1 arm until you are swimming full stroke for longer distances.

Another tip: slow your stoke down - reach out and"glide" at the top, when your hands enter. Focus on controlled easy exhales. By improving your distance per stroke, you will swim farther for the same amount of energy.

Another tip: work on your dolphin kick. Do vertical dolphin kick sets in the deep end; practice dolphin on your back, sides, and front; practice dolphin with exaggerated hip action and minimal hip action (flippers help for this).

Mainly, though, don't practice "butterstruggle" stroke - better to go to one arm than learn bad habits.

ande
January 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
get in better shape

learn how to swim fl relaxed with easy speed

IMPROVE your fly kick

count your strokes (work on adding one more each time)

SDK further

be mentally tougher

Rest a bit longer before each attempt

Get STRONGER from weights

Wear a FAST SUIT

Ask a few team mates to watch you

make it your personal goal to complete a 100 fl
keep working on it till you do
then once you do
CELEBRATE and let us know

Hey guys, I've been swimming for about 6 months now. I swim 4 or 5 times a week for about 3 kays. I recently started butterfly a month ago and almost straight away I could do 30m, but I just can't go any further. I know I've got a good stroke cos a coach I see sometimes said so.

I was wondering if anyone had some drills or anaerobic exercises that would help me do 100m or more cos I've been stuck for ages.

my times
Free
50m: 30
100m:1.18
200m:2.50

25fly: around 15

Celestial
January 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
You know, this is a good question. I used to be fairly good at the butterfly as a kid, and now, I swear 50 meters tuckers me out! And it's not my arms! I feel like I'm gasping for breath & not getting all the CO2 out. It's ridiculous.

I love how people say, oh, just go easy - butterfly is never easy for me. I can go harder and faster, but easy is not happening. I do agree that by strengthening my kick and doing weights that I can spend less time gasping for air, but why oh why am I gasping for air at all? Maybe I'm just old? :cane:

couldbebetterfly
January 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
After having kids I realised just how much I relied on my core muscles to swim fly - and there I was thinking it was all upper body :doh:. So practice your kick - on your front, back, sides and get all those muscles working from your chest down. I was soooooo slow at this at first, but it improved quickly.

I am back to what I feel is a decent 50 speed, haven't raced 100 yet, but have completed a couple of 200s in practice just to see if I could. Hang in there - it'll come :)

orca1946
January 21st, 2011, 06:39 PM
If you want to make a 100 , go slower with each stroke & hold the glide for 2 seconds. Work at the gym on core & arm pulls thru like the fly stroke. Good luck & stay with it. . If swimming was easy football players could do it !!:bolt:

funkyfish
January 21st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Not an expert on fly, used to swim a fairly respectable time many moons ago. Something that's helped me build up endurance for a 100 was swimming 4 to 8 25s in practice on an interval. Initially started on an interval that allowed 1:00 rest between 25s, then lowered it somewhat incrementally as I went on. Eventually got to 10 seconds between 25s. Once I reached that I started doing 50s with the same approach. Eventually got to doing 75s and an occasional 100. Doing a 100 fly, even in practice, has never been easy for me, but once you complete it a few times in practice you feel confident enough to do it in a meet.

Another thing I'll do is swim 100s, and do some lengths fly and others free. I agree with not practicing struggle, but I interpret struggle as incorrect form. I think that to get better, or faster, or to have more endurance in fly, at some point you've got to put effort into it.
:banana:

gigi
January 22nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
In addition to the advice above (core work, switching to one-arm when your stroke falls apart, working on 25's) I advise just entering a 100 fly at a meet! I worked on my fly in practice but just couldn't get myself to do a 100 fly at practice at all. I'd fall apart, get tired, decide that "today wasn't the day" and I just never did it. I finally entered the 100fly in a mini-meet at my home pool, and sure enough, my 100 fly was "there for me."

Worth a try maybe!

Jamesmap2
January 22nd, 2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys, great replys what would sugest to do when i get tired, in terms of freestyle? 50s 100s 200s

thanks

couldbebetterfly
January 22nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
My coach used to have me swim a 100s as 25 fly, 50 free, 25fly and 200s as (I think) 50 fly, 50 free, 25 fly, 50 free, 25 fly. So you would always end on fly and be tired, but not struggling...well that was the theory!

As an aside, it really improved my distance free, and while my fly times were never great, I could finish, and have the ability to climb out of the pool :)

Jamesmap2
January 28th, 2011, 05:00 AM
K 2day i got a 37 on my first ever 50m fly. Good or bad?

couldbebetterfly
January 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM

:applaud: Gets a round of applause from me, epecially as you've only been swimming fly a few weeks.

Now you have a benchmark time and know how a 50 fly feels so you can work on improving it :)

My biggest problem is that my timing is often out between my kick and hand entry, so although people say my fly looks good, it's not as fast as it should be. Have your coach look for this, work on the other stuff too and watch that time drop.

smontanaro
January 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
My biggest problem is that my timing is often out between my kick and hand entry...

What is the proper timing between kick and hand entry? (And are there drills to improve the timing?)

S

ande
January 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys, great replys what would sugest to do when i get tired, in terms of freestyle? 50s 100s 200s
thanks

keep moving until you finish the length you intended to swim.

ande
January 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM

not got, one proper way to phrase it is:
"I swam a 50 LCM fly in 37"

It's good, it's your current best time & that's great.
Keep improving, I bet you can knock your time way down.
Find out how much. there's lots of stuff you can work on.

ande
January 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
What is the proper timing between kick and hand entry? (And are there drills to improve the timing?)
S

it takes a lot of words to fully describe proper timing for fly kick and pull
I suggest you watch underwater videos of great flyers and copy them

Novices tend to
pause too much with their arms,
have too much up and down motion, &
have too much knee bend on their kick.

Fly is a flat stroke with a slight undulation

My favorite fly drills are:
SDKing &
1 arm fly drill

couldbebetterfly
January 28th, 2011, 05:25 PM
it takes a lot of words to fully describe proper timing for fly kick and pull
I suggest you watch underwater videos of great flyers and copy them

Novices tend to
pause too much with their arms,
have too much up and down motion, &
have too much knee bend on their kick.

Fly is a flat stroke with a slight undulation

My favorite fly drills are:
SDKing &
1 arm fly drill

Wow Ande - I'm on the same wavelength as you - there's hope for me yet:bliss: You beat me to the one-arm fly drill suggestion, and good to know I'm working on the right drills too :D

I'm definitely a pauser (even though I can't really call myself a novice after almost 30 years!) and feel that I keep the momentum up on that drill, then lose it on full stroke. But I'm working on it.

Another drill I do is a double kick on entry, which gives a BIG pause, but helps get a better catch position. If only I could combine the two on every swim!

James - keep at it and let us know how you get on.