PDA

View Full Version : Crossing over?

RachaelM
January 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
My coach often comments that I'm crossing my right arm over while swimming free. She tells me to make sure my hands are entering at 10 and 2. I can never feel when I'm crossing, but its usually when I get tired. Does anyone have some good drills for breaking the crossover habit?

Rachael

fatboy
January 20th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I had trouble with this and a team-mate suggested making sure that I focus on my pinky entering the water first and not my thumb. This helped me.

Glenn
January 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Get in early and swim right down the middle of the lane making sure your arms enter on either side of the black line. Swim slowly and lift your head slightly so you can see where your arms enter.

rtodd
January 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM
My pinkie does not enter first on freestyle.

Use a short piece of PVC tubing and do catch up with it. also sight more forward occosaionally and you can see where you hand is entering using peripheral vision.

I see many swimmers who cross over have a lack of hip rotation and swim pretty flat. You should work on 6 or 12 kick switch drills.

smontanaro
January 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM
It's not perfect, but I do catch-up with my fingers spread apart and try to keep my thumbs from touching when my recovering hand catches up with my streamlined hand.

Stevepowell
January 21st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Yes PVC pipe or half a noodle or a kickboard crossways.

ElaineK
January 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Yes PVC pipe or half a noodle or a kickboard crossways.

Half a noodle? And, become a NOODLER? :afraid:
:D

orca1946
January 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM
NOODLES are for soup !!!
I like the kick board idea,I have used it in the past.
Do you put your hand in the water too close to your head?
This will cause a too close stroke at times .

JPSWMCCH
January 22nd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Like the kickboard idea because hands can be wider, unless the PvC is long enough, or wood dowels, too! Sometimes I say, do catch-up drill with hands in front of, or to the side of shoulders (you often have to exaggerate words, visuals, to get get even small changes). Also, must FINISH stroke with a flourish to accent the hip roll!