View Full Version : Favorite Place to Swim

March 22nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
I'm taking a casual poll of the "Best Places to Swim in the World" for a freelance story I'm working on. The topic is very open-ended: I'm looking for anything from the best place for an open-water swim, i.e. La Jolla Cove, to an olympic pool with an amazing setting, i.e. North Sydney Olympic Pool.

Your ideas would be most helpful to me; from the well-known watering holes to off-the-beaten spots, from swimming holes to hotel pools...And please note why you love swimming there.

March 23rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
My favorite swim spot is the ISHOF pool in Fort Lauderdale. The water is always clean, during open swim hours you can easily get or share a lane, the showers have lots of hot water. Best of all, it is just a one block walk to the ocean. Swimming north from the Hall of Fame, on a clear day, you might see barracuda, tarpon, sting rays, and reef fish.

March 24th, 2002, 05:09 AM
There is an interesting book about pools called "Gold Medal Pools" by Buck Dawson. It has great pictures of unusual pools, including Liberace's piano-shaped pool. Buck's latest book "Mermaids" is about well-known female swimmers of the past and is very good. Buck's books can be ordered through the International Swimming Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame pool is my favorite pool also!

Tom Ellison
March 24th, 2002, 01:44 PM
When it comes to pools...the pool I grew up in as a kid is still the neatest pool I have ever swam in, seen or read about...The Venetian Pool in Coral Gables, Florida is still #1 in my book!

The pool has caves, beach, bridge and a rock cliff that is 30 feet high...(it used to be a high dive area...but was closed due to our litigious society).

The pool is straight out of the 1920's...truly magnificent.

Tom Ellison
March 24th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Only the rock cliff was closed.

March 25th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Best place to swim? It wasn't the best place to swim as far as the pool itself or the facility but I once went on a business trip to The Netherlands where I swam in a pool with some real interesting "natural" surroundings. Everybody was nude! I had written out a workout in my hotel room and then drove around looking for a pool. I had surfed the web before leaving the States and had a list of pools in the region. I must have gone to 4 or 5 pools where I couldn't swim because they were either closed to the public or they were having rec swim (and their rec swim meant there were kids everywhere and no lap lanes set up). Anyway, I found the one that had "Naturiste Zwemmen" or something like that and did my workout there. 4200 short course meters wearing just my cap and goggles!

Leonard Jansen
March 25th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Jeff -

Any noticable difference in overall water drag?

March 25th, 2002, 07:23 PM
I certainly hope this isn't going to lead to a "shrinkage" discussion!

Phil Arcuni
March 26th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Many very arid deserts have pools of water that are present all year. The ones I am thinking of are pretty big, at least as large as 25 yard pool, and very deep, and surrounded by rocks, sand, and scrub. Often the rocks are large, and provide a lot of shade. I once was in Australia, near Alice Springs. We rented a jeep-like car and drove four hours to a couple. The quiet, peace, and serenity made it clear that these were holy places. I did go swimming in one - it was not clear to me if I was defiling a spiritual place or being baptised. I will never forget it.

Closer to home, there is a pool above one of the waterfalls at Yosemite; you can reach it by a moderately vigorous hike. It is best to go in late summer, while there is still plenty of water to swim in, it is not so fast and deep that you have to worry about being swept over the falls. This pool is a gently curved, very smooth bowl of granite, surrounded by tall pine trees. The water is cold. The stream into the pool runs across the ganite surface, and makes for a great water slide. There are always people there, but everyone knows the place is special.

March 26th, 2002, 12:28 PM
My favorite place to swim is Lakeside (Louisville). It is an old rock quarry set in the middle of an established residential neighborhood. The 50-m course takes up only a portion of the total water area. With the rock cliffs and surrounding houses, it is the most unique setting I have ever seen. It has always been worth the drive from Michigan to race there in late summer before Nationals.

March 26th, 2002, 04:14 PM
My favorite place to swim is the Forest Park Aquatic Center in Noblesville, IN. Every year I can't wait to move outdoors to this Olympic Size pool. Swimming with a clear blue sky overhead in crystal clear water while the sun warms you, there is no place better. Located in Forest Park and surrounded by mature trees this world class facility is only made better by the felowship of the Master Swimmers who venture here each summer.

March 27th, 2002, 10:22 PM
#1--Lake George, NY near Shelving Rock (just over the mountain
from Hogtown). Clear, clean, cool fresh water with rocky shores
for diving and beautiful pines for a picnic and lots of Bass.

#2--Split Rock Falls on the Ausable River just off Route 9
about 11 miles south of Elizabethtown, NY. Cold mountain
stream with the clearest water I've ever seen. Dive off the
cliffs as high as you want to go into 30+ feet of gin!:D

March 28th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Yal-Ku lagoon near Akumal in Mexico... an hour south of Cancun. It is a shallow inlet from the ocean full of tropical fish and coral. Some fresh water seeps in from underground, leaving a cool fresh water layer about a foot thick on top of the warmer salty layer underneath. The cool water was so refreshing in the middle of the Mexican summer, after we walked a few miles to get there! A friend and I swam back and forth the length of it, constantly distracted by fish darting around us. Maybe not the best workout ever, but it was definitely the most gorgeous and unique place I have done laps!!

April 1st, 2002, 07:35 PM
Orient Beach, St. Martin, If you've been there you know why.

Dennis Tesch
April 9th, 2002, 04:58 PM
I wish I could remember the name of the beach, but it is about 1-2 hours west of Acapulco, Mexico. We did a short open water workout as the sun set in western ski. I will always remember the color of the ski and water as the sun set. Absolutely awesome.

Matt S
April 9th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Favorite open water swim: parallel to the Coronado, CA city beach. On the Pacific Ocean shore of Coronado, enter the water just south of the perimeter of NAS North Island. Swim south about a mile or so along the beach until you reach a point next to the historic Hotel Del Coronado. Get out, and walk back north along the beach that one travel oriented TV show called the best beach in California. This place makes you understand what the term "golden beaches" means. There are little flecks of pyrite in the sand that make the beach shimmer like gold when the sun hits it right. Also, the surf is usually just right for body surfing. Big enough for adults to use, but not so big as to be intimidating. One of my fondest memories of being stationed in San Diego is a Friday evening masters swim at the Coronado beach, then team pizza afterwards.

They don't run my favorite open water race anymore, which is the 12 mile "Around the Island Swim." Start in the Coronado municipal park on the San Diego bay side of the Coronado peninsula, and swim all the way around Coronado and NAS North Island, passing under the San Diego-Coronado bridge, going by the ship piers at NAS North Island, past Point Loma and out the ship channel, until you clear it and make a hard left (SE) back more or less towards the same Hotel Del Coronado. Twelve of the most scenic miles you will ever swim, and your friends and relations drop their jaws and shake their heads when you tell them how far you swam. It makes them appreciate just how far a 12 mile swim is. I was on the organizing committee one year, but running the event got to be such a hassle, that my old masters team (Coronado Masters aka "The Nightcrawlers" [don't ask]) stopped running it a few years ago. <sigh>, I'm getting misty...

May 26th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Saw a guy on the Today Show this am--name is Pancho Doll.
He has written books about many swimming holes in the USA.
Check out www.running-water.com

old dog
June 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM
favorites recycled..........

June 18th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Some of the best pools I have found for views are in ski resorts. The lap pool on the top floor of the Cliff Lodge is spectacular! Also the Vail Racquet Club pool and public pools in Cortina d'ampezo and St Moritz are outstanding lap pool experiences with great views.

June 18th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I really like Darthmouth College's pool. Yes, it's old, but the two 50 meter lanes conneceted with the 25 yard pool makes it fun. A lots of good memories there, Harvard and Brown have great pools too!

March 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
La Jolla cove is a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

March 31st, 2014, 05:24 PM
Ko Olina Lagoon on the West shore of Oahu, about 100-150yds across. I've swam laps there on a couple of visits. Every once in a while there will be little distractions like sea turtles and fish.:applaud:

April 2nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
I learned to swim in Lake Mich. off the sand dunes #1 best out of country place has been in Australia - great coral reef. #2
Most exotic - Amazon river in Peru.

April 3rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
I don't think anything will top the St John Beach-to-Beach swim held over Memorial Day weeekend every year. The water was perfectly warm and clear. I felt like Dory from Finding Nemo so many times because I'd get distracted and excited by everything... I'd forget to race. It was just stunning.

May 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM
The pool in my back yard.

May 19th, 2014, 05:29 PM
The pool in my back yard.Ditto that.

That Guy
May 19th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Ditto that.
When did you visit wilmeret's back yard?

May 19th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I'm fortunate to have access to a number of pools through the county rec department. Most are Olympic size and are where the high schools hold their meets. The facilities also have classes and fitness centers and it's all covered in a reasonable membership so I can swim as much as I want.

May 21st, 2014, 11:41 PM
Two places: the flat water of the Colorado River between the last rapid of Westwater Canyon and the take-out, and the flat water before the Colorado drops into Cataract Canyon. In summer. You can swim downstream for mile after beautiful mile, but in both cases, you better be damn sure you don't swim past your take out.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

May 28th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Lahaina Aquatic Center is a favorite place to swim (a workout) if I happen to be visiting Maui

May 30th, 2014, 05:03 AM
My loved place to sweam is UNO aquatics center in New Orelans. Great placehttp://fattyless.com/pix.png (http://fattyless.com/), crystal water. :)

May 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM
i love swimming in any pool (or body of water) where my friends are. and in masters, new people tend to become my friends in about 5mins.

so ALL places become my favorite place to swim.

but to race, Indy has to be it for me. granted i havent gotten to race there that last 2 nats because of injuries, but still love that place. however, the Olympic pool in Sydney is super cool too. let's do a WC there!!!

May 30th, 2014, 03:00 PM
but to race, Indy has to be it for me. granted i havent gotten to race there that last 2 nats because of injuries, but still love that place. Agreed. I really hope I can be there the next time Nationals are there.

however, the Olympic pool in Sydney is super cool too. let's do a WC there!!!Agreed. I got to do a workout there solo in '03 and it was awesome, but I missed swimming at the Bondi Icebergs pool when I was in Sydney and so need to go back ..