PDA

View Full Version : Having fun and being good

pendaluft
January 25th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Here's a provocative post about what makes activities (esp sports) enjoyable and the pursuit of excellence.

You gotta love the title "Barry Sanders, Matt Biondi, and the Tiger Mom"

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2011/01/barry-sanders-matt-biondi-and-the-tiger-mom/70093/

Allen Stark
January 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM
This is a good,well reasoned article.

Couroboros
January 25th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I read Amy Chua's article in the WSJ a few weeks back. I found it very convincing, and I agree with it, for the most part. As I get faster and faster at swimming, I find that I'm having more and more fun. Swimming was never so fun for me as last month when I dropped below the minute for the first time in the 100 free.

For a close look at just how obsessive Chinese parents can be, read the pianist Lang Lang's memoir. In his case, Lang Lang had a "Tiger Dad" instead of a "Tiger Mom."

pwb
January 25th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Here's a provocative post about what makes activities (esp sports) enjoyable and the pursuit of excellence.

You gotta love the title "Barry Sanders, Matt Biondi, and the Tiger Mom"

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2011/01/barry-sanders-matt-biondi-and-the-tiger-mom/70093/Given that there's little in the way of extrinsic rewards in Masters swimming (Top Ten really is not all that matters!), I think Masters swimmers are prime examples of people pursuing something for the fun of it. I think we can all delight in the little outcomes (e.g., best times), but at the core many of us must delight in the process, in the simple act of swimming to continue to do it.

Though I never reached the heights of a Biondi, I certainly reached a period of burnout as a younger swimmer. A wise coach reminded me to focus on the fun and gave me a changeup in my workouts for a summer and really encouraged me to chill out for a summer to regain the joy. Even though I did regain the joy and finished out my senior year at college loving swimming again, I still felt like, at 22, even though I was well aware of Masters, I'd probably not compete again. I was dabbling again in competition by the time I was 24 and then kept coming back to the sport over the years ... because it's just so fun.

orca1946
January 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Enjoying anything is a good reason to keep doing it, In swimming , we all got back into it because we liked it at one time & wish to continue to do so - at least till the coach puts up 40 x 100 !!