PDA

View Full Version : Drop 4 seconds in 100scy Breast Stroke

Green_Ghoul
January 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for dropping from a 1:13 to a 1:09 in the 100 breast stroke.

I try to make my strokes nice and long during practice, but when the race comes up, I tend to just push through it as fast as I can.

Thanks!

The Irish Friend
January 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM
good turns , strong pushoff and good underwater streamline position .

Rykno
January 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM
good turns , strong pushoff and good underwater streamline position .

Yeah that!

a good underwater pullout on all 3 turns.

I've been in several races that the swimmers had the same swimming speed, stroke for stroke in the middle of the pool. But the race came down to the person with the better underwater pullout. lots of people who get tired tend to skip the last underwater pullout and come up swimming at the flags.

the better swimmers (in my age group) come up around 10m or farther. coming up early only creates extra strokes. But then again you have to be effective underwater.

smontanaro
January 26th, 2011, 07:13 AM
The less you swim the better...

Make sure your timing doesn't change as you try to speed up as well. Don't rush the kick or you'll be kicking while your arms are still bent.

orca1946
January 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I would say the turns are the place to change & make up some time .

Jeff Commings
January 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Swim in workout how you want to swim in a race.

Do race-pace sets with lots of rest, working on tempo, speed and strength. This will train your body to be prepared for race day.

Allen Stark
January 26th, 2011, 05:07 PM
The "push through it as fast as I can" probably means you are losing your timing.Try making sure you get back to streamline at the end of every kick and "ride the glide."Not much in 100,just an instant,but definitely there.It should help to keep your timing correct.

rtodd
January 27th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I'm not a breastroker, but my experience has been that I am faster with higher turnover and staying shallow. Measure your stroke rate. Should it be around 1.5 for the 100?

chowmi
January 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Interesting thread - I have nearly the SAME times and i'd like to break 1:10 in the 100 breast!

Skipping the Carnegie Hall joke, and sticking with technical advice, can anyone describe drills or technique that have helped to you to HOLD THE WATER/GRAB THE WATER/AVOID JUST PUSHING YOUR FEET OUT INTO DEAD SPACE better in your KICK? Ie, a more power-generating kick along with (ideal) reduction of drag?

Green_Ghoul
January 27th, 2011, 02:10 PM
at practice for the last few days I've been really gliding and emphasizing the "push" with my arms when I kick, and have been trying to keep my head low. Yesterday I went a 1:21 in the middle of practice after some tough sets, which is pretty good considering how tired I was and I didn't start off the block. My turns are still a bit slow when I get to the third turn though.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm swimming it tonight during my meet, I'll post what I go afterwards.

ande
January 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
it's entirely possible
tell us more about you

ande

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for dropping from a 1:13 to a 1:09 in the 100 breast stroke.

I try to make my strokes nice and long during practice, but when the race comes up, I tend to just push through it as fast as I can.

Thanks!

Allen Stark
January 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Interesting thread - I have nearly the SAME times and i'd like to break 1:10 in the 100 breast!

Skipping the Carnegie Hall joke, and sticking with technical advice, can anyone describe drills or technique that have helped to you to HOLD THE WATER/GRAB THE WATER/AVOID JUST PUSHING YOUR FEET OUT INTO DEAD SPACE better in your KICK? Ie, a more power-generating kick along with (ideal) reduction of drag?
Go to the"Breaststroke Lane " thread and check out my posts on drills,especially the 2 " kick and the ankle snap drills.
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=16584&highlight=breaststroke+lane&page=10

Green_Ghoul
January 27th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'm going to leave in about 30 minutes, I just have one last question. I have one of those "speedo dome caps" and want to know if it's better to double cap, like put a regular cap on then goggles, then dome cap.

If anyone knows if this helps at all, please respond. Thanks

Allen Stark
January 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I'm going to leave in about 30 minutes, I just have one last question. I have one of those "speedo dome caps" and want to know if it's better to double cap, like put a regular cap on then goggles, then dome cap.

If anyone knows if this helps at all, please respond. Thanks

I double cap.I find the silicone caps,even the dome ones tend to slip for me,so I put them on over a latex cap.

Green_Ghoul
January 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I went a 1:13.72. It's okay I guess, my first 50 was a 35 and the second a 38.

My walls felt slow, and my pullouts too long (made it to halfway each one), and my strokes were too long (6 per length).

Allen, I think I'm going to ask my coach if I can do those drills of yours during practice for the next few days.

Allen Stark
January 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I went a 1:13.72. It's okay I guess, my first 50 was a 35 and the second a 38.

My walls felt slow, and my pullouts too long (made it to halfway each one), and my strokes were too long (6 per length).

Allen, I think I'm going to ask my coach if I can do those drills of yours during practice for the next few days.

Can you post a video.

tomtopo
January 30th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Swim in workout how you want to swim in a race.

Do race-pace sets with lots of rest, working on tempo, speed and strength. This will train your body to be prepared for race day.

A lot of great advice but you hit the nail on the head. Keep working on technical improvements (measured by 25 time), kick, pull, turn and start times. Good luck.

orca1946
January 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM
My P T says to back way off on any B R because of my on going hip problems