PDA

View Full Version : Soldier in Iraq needs our help!

MegSmath
September 15th, 2003, 02:55 PM
The son of a coworker of mine is stationed in Iraq, and will be there until March (unless things change again). He is losing weight, and has found the best way to at least maintain his weight is by eating Power Bars! My coworker asked all of us in my office to each send his son one Power Bar. Not only will this get him the nutrition he needs, but also will be a way to keep him in touch with the folks back home. It doesn't matter if you know this young man or not, he'd still be glad to hear from you.

If you'd like to participate in "Operation: Power Bar," send one (only one) Power Bar (in a reinforced envelope) to

Sgt. Benjamin Currens
HHC 3/187 Inf. Regt.
Unit #96083
APO: AE09325-6083

Ben doesn't like chocolate (which I find hard to believe), but any other flavor is good. His favorite is cappuccino.

Thanks!

swimr4life
September 16th, 2003, 08:01 AM
COUNT ME IN! Thank-you so much for sharing this with us! :D

tjburk
September 16th, 2003, 09:09 AM
I'm in....retired last year from the Army! Remember those long lonely days well!!!

scolopax
March 22nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
What ever happened to this soldier? Is he home now? Just curious and hopeful that he made it home safe.

MegSmath
March 22nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Yes, he is back in the States now, getting further training in Georgia. He was one of the soldiers who was on the plane returning to Ft. Campbell when news of Saddam Hussein's capture came out! He really enjoyed receiving all the Powerbars, and I should have thanked any of you on his behalf for sending them.

jim thornton
March 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Perhaps a bit off the subject, but did you see that the guy who invented Powerbars died of a heart attack last week? He was only 51, and was at one point in the early 70s the third highest ranked marathoner in the world. A bit reminiscent of Jim Fixx--and reason for all us masters swimmers to get our hearts checked out, especially guys over 40 and women after menopause, and very especially if you have a history of heart disease in your family. Exercise can be powerfully protective, but there's a lot more you can do today, too. NO reason to be in denial (not to imply the Powerbar guy was, but who knows?)