PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle - Picking the Right Technique

arthur
February 2nd, 2011, 02:03 AM
The Race Club posted an excellent video on their youtube channel today about the benefits of different freestyle techniques that deserves a lot more views:

YouTube - Freestyle - Picking the Right Technique

There is also an accompanying article here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Swimming/Your_Best_Freestyle_Technique_1877.html

tomtopo
February 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
One of my top 10 videos. Explained very well. It's a great video to show all your swimmers. Mirror image swimming (when one arm is traveling through the power phase, the other is recovering) is shown in each technique. It's nice to see the ankle flexibility (even if your kick isn't fast it's critical). Dragging a flat foot is a real drag ( really). Nice job coach!

rtodd
February 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Great video.

I have experimented with the hybrid, or what I have been calling "loping" which Phelps and Leezak seemed to make popular.

I also noticed that I instinctively make the glide stroke on my breathing side. I wonder if that is because there is better O2 exchange and efficiency when holding in air a bit longer, but still shorter than bilateral breathing where I struggle for air under high exertion.

I wonder if this is Gary's rationale as well for using this stroke. I also noticed that Phelps will fully submerge on the glide stroke where resistance should be slightly reduced, even for a fraction of second, but on every stroke becomes measureable over a race distance.

debaru
February 2nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
What a great, quality video. :applaud: I really appreciate when slow motion is included. This goes a long way in helping me to assimilate exactly what is taking place during each type of stroke being presented.

I'm a very visually-oriented person, and by viewing videos like this one, over and over again, I'm able to imprint the technique in my brain and can then "feel" when I'm copying it in the pool.

norascats
February 2nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
The video is just what I needed. I've always been a kicker so I guess the hip driven is where to go. Thanks for the info.