PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe is coming back!

androvski
February 2nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Great news for swimming.

SYDNEY, Australia, February 1. IAN Thorpe, a four-time Swimming World Magazine World Swimmer of the Year, is expected to announce his return from a retirement dating back to Nov. 2006 according to Nicole Jeffery of the Australian.

First hinted at in May 2010, when Thorpe first dashed speculation of a comeback bid, Thorpe's expected return comes on the heels of Olympic silver medalist Geoff Huegill's remarkable return during which he first jumped back into the pool to lose nearly 100 pounds.

Thorpe, a five-time Olympic gold medalist, is 28 years old and stated he made up his mind to return in September 2010. He began the path back with a three-day trial, then committed to three weeks before stretching his training to three months.

"I made the decision back in September to return to competitive swimming," Thorpe said in a presser today. "I was taken to the swimming venue for the London Olympics, and I could taste it. I hadn't felt this way about swimming for a very long time. I didn't get back into the pool for any other reason than to be able to compete at the elite level."

Thorpe additionally revealed that he will be focusing on relay duty for Australia with the 100 and 200 freestyles as his primary events. He also explained that Swimming Australia head coach Leigh Nugent has been coaching Thorpe via text messages with his training plan, while Thorpe rotated through eight different pools to eliminate the chance that anyone would notice that he was back to full training.

"Australia is struggling a little bit for a really strong international competitor in the pool. Someone like Ian will bolster the team - if he is back it will be extraordinary," two-time Olympic gold medalist Kieren Perkins told the Australian.

Thorpe will need to file his paperwork with FINA at least nine months before Australia's Olympic Trials, which means his paperwork would need to be in towards the end of May.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/26372.asp?q=Ian%20Thorpe%20Expected%20to%20Return% 20from%20Retirement;%20Confirms%20Return%20in%20Pr esser%20-%20%3Ci%3EUpdated%3C/i%3E

Jazz Hands
February 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Thorpe is the greatest freestyler ever. Can't wait to see him on TV again.

knelson
February 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
He better start working hard. The last photo I saw of him he was looking pretty soft! I certainly wouldn't bet against Thorpe, though.

Speedo
February 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
I wonder how many of these comebacks are influenced by the return to normal suits. Whatever the reason, I'm glad to see some big names coming back.

Hopefully he'll do as well as Lance did in his comeback, although Ian has had a longer break...

__steve__
February 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Popov once said he will come out of retirement and beat Phelps, even on a bad day. I would believe 50M, but not 200 or even 100M

tjrpatt
February 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
He better start working hard. The last photo I saw of him he was looking pretty soft! I certainly wouldn't bet against Thorpe, though.

He can't hide behind body suits like he did in 2000 and 2004. I was shocked when I saw that I saw that he wasn't as ripped as I thought when the cameras caught him without his bodysuit in 2004. Overall, he just showed that you don't need the best body to be the best swimmer.

On his comeback, I think that he will make the Aussie team because they don't seem to have any good freestylers right now? Correct? Not sure! But, he might find it tough to medal with all the competition that has been grinding it out in the pool for the last 4 or 5 years.

knelson
February 2nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
I was shocked when I saw that I saw that he wasn't as ripped as I thought when the cameras caught him without his bodysuit in 2004.

He was always a big guy, but I saw some pictures of him recently and he was way bigger than when he was swimming.

androvski
February 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Popov once said he will come out of retirement and beat Phelps, even on a bad day. I would believe 50M, but not 200 or even 100M
Link??

Lump
February 2nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Here is my take. First I love the guy, awesome swimmer, one of my favorites. However, the 100 & 200 are DEEP events, LOTS of good swimmers, and likely to be even deeper by 2012. Thorpe is not a sprinter (true) and I don't see him being a major player in the 100, no more than a relay swimmer maybe. I could maybe see him finaling in the 200, but no where near medaling. 400 is to far and too fast now.

Just my .02

__steve__
February 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Link??

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Swimming

orca1946
February 2nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Has anyone told him NO Full TECH suits??:badday:

EJB190
February 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Good for him! Actually, it's probably in his best interest since we all know how he looks now.

He's going to have do get back into shape first...

pendaluft
February 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
It can happen to the best of us!

tjrpatt
February 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Good for him! Actually, it's probably in his best interest since we all know how he looks now.

Well, he didn't let himself go as much as his Syndey Geoff H who is doing pretty well in the 100 fly. It might have taken a team for Geoff to get back in shape which is really less inspiring. Did Geoff have a team to help him or did he lose the weight without help?

On the Thorpe photo, he only looked obese withing elite swimming circles. The guy doesn't have the baby bump look. He just has the pear shape on the sides. He could have been worse.

Chicken of the Sea
February 2nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Has anyone told him NO Full TECH suits??:badday:

OMG I bet no one has! I bet he sucks without it! Poor, fat, hopeless swimmer :)

I am so happy to be able to see him swim again. Don't care what race he does or how well he does in it. He was wonderful to watch.

Lump
February 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM

When was this photo?! LOL, he looks like me....NOW!:D

thewookiee
February 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
When was this photo?! LOL, he looks like me....NOW!:D

That photo was published about 2 years, maybe 3 years ago. Thorpe said in the press conference that he had lost 5 kgs, with another 5 to lose to get back to his racing weight.

KEWebb18
February 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Good for the sport. I look forward to watching this as he was one of my favorite swimmers to watch!

hofffam
February 4th, 2011, 04:15 PM
He has about 15 months until the Aussie Olympic Trials.

Do you think he can make the Aussie team in anything but a relay? I don't. I do not think he can be top 2 in either the 100 or the 200. To make a relay I suppose he just needs to be top 6.

The body suit he used to wear was not a "tech suit" so I have my doubts it was that big a help for him. Maybe it provided compression, but not flotation since it was permeable.

I loved watching him race, and his freestyle stroke (see underwater on Youtube) is remarkable. But unless he is already in good shape I don't see his comeback succeeding.

orca1946
February 5th, 2011, 01:01 PM
If I remember , it was full arms & legs.

havepoolwillswim
February 5th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't bet against him. I think he has a good chance to make the team.

hofffam
February 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
If I remember , it was full arms & legs.

Yes it was - but it was "old" technology. No rubber coating, more like a full body Fastskin II or Pro.

rtodd
February 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I wish him luck. It would be great bringing attention to the sport.

Just because he specialized in the 200 and 400 does not mean he can't learn to swim a 100m. I think he would need to develop his arm strength and pull (I don't think you can swim the 100 with his catch up stroke and win. I think he would need to rework it a bit.). We know he has the kick thing figured out.

That Guy
February 6th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Just because he specialized in the 200 and 400 does not mean he can't learn to swim a 100m. I think he would need to develop his arm strength and pull (I don't think you can swim the 100 with his catch up stroke and win. I think he would need to rework it a bit.). We know he has the kick thing figured out.

Well let's see here. Thorpe won gold in the 4x100 free relay at '99 Pan Pacs, gold in the 4x100 free relay in the 2000 Olympics, silver in the 4x100 medley at the 2000 Olympics, gold in both 4x100 relays at 2001 Worlds, gold in the 100 free and both 4x100 relays at the 2002 Commonwealth Games, gold in the 100 free and both 4x100 relays at 2002 Pan Pacs, and bronze in the 100 free at 2003 Worlds and the 2004 Olympics. So he won thirteen medals involving the 100 free in international long course competition. I haven't researched his short course international experience, how many Australian national championships he won, etc.

In conclusion, perhaps in his preparations for 2012, Thorpe can draw upon his prior experience with the event. :lmao:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Thorpe

rtodd
February 6th, 2011, 10:24 PM
He will need to improve and specialize in the 100 (i.e., drop the 400) if he wants to contend in the individual event or the relay for that matter, but I think he can.

taruky
February 25th, 2012, 10:23 AM
So, question for you experienced competitors; is it possible that Thorpe is just toying with people and when he tapers his times will drop considerably? Or was his latest Swiss slow time in the 100 a sign that he's toast. I'm really rooting for him.

That Guy
February 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
So, question for you experienced competitors; is it possible that Thorpe is just toying with people and when he tapers his times will drop considerably? Or was his latest Swiss slow time in the 100 a sign that he's toast. I'm really rooting for him.

The most interesting theory I've read about thorpe's tepid comeback is that he had suit advantage in his heyday, but doesn't have it any longer. There are holes in that theory (thorpe's technique was superior to anyone not named Popov) but i guess we will find out in a few weeks.

aquageek
February 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM

At best a shave and taper is worth about 3% so I wouldn't expect miracles. But, he is Thorpe so you never know.

nhc
February 25th, 2012, 01:17 PM
So he retired just to fulfill Phelps' dream of getting 8 golds at the 2008 Olympics?

iWaterSwim
February 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Perhaps if Thorpe was not swimming for Australia he would have a shot.....but that is a fast relay team he is trying to qualify for....

orca1946
February 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Talk :blah:is cheap - let's see some times!!:agree:

taruky
March 11th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Is it just me, or in looking at this video does it seem that Ian isn't going all out. Maybe he does have something in reserve; hmm.
Ian Thorpe admits time is against him in London Olympics bid - YouTube

__steve__
March 11th, 2012, 05:02 PM
fewer strokes then the rest

Debugger
March 12th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Is it just me, or in looking at this video does it seem that Ian isn't going all out. Maybe he does have something in reserve; hmm.
Ian Thorpe admits time is against him in London Olympics bid - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtOl_SuCs_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player)
Mission impossible :badday:

taruky
March 12th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Mission impossible :badday:

Aww c'mon Debugger. Quit raining on my parade!

taruky
March 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Go Ian (my favorite swimmer of all time), I'm rooting for you buddy!

taruky
March 15th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Nice swim by Ian, 1:49.16, onto the finals.