PDA

View Full Version : Swim Kumbaya

Rob Copeland
February 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM
On the Swim Rant thread, I suggested “If you want to be surrounded by happy swimmers try the “Swim Kumbaya” thread.” It was mentioned on a lark, but on further review, Masters Swimming has been so tremendously uplifting to me that it makes sense to share some of these…

So my first Swim Kumbaya goes out to Mike Heather – a friend (and fellow wide body) I’ve met through swimming who continues to challenge me to be my best in the pool and in volunteerism to Masters Swimming.

Kumbaya Dude:D

bzaks1424
February 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM
So in the midst of this midwest sprinkle of snow - the school district shut down the two pools which my swim team swims at (the two high schools in the district).

So - my team organized swim practices at the local fitness center. Its a 25 Meter pool - salt water, 3.5' deep. As far as practices go - you couldn't swim in a slower pool. Its also only 4 lanes. So we had to swim in one hour shifts (SUPER narrow lane lines). We ended up just having 2 shifts - but it was still very awesome to see so much dedication that people would rearrange out of the norm to make this happen.

Oh P.S. - this is my 1 year + 2 day anniversary with the USMS today.

Chris Stevenson
February 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'll send a "swim Kumbaya" to my swim coach, Mark Kutz. Incredible energy and enthusiasm on the pool deck, at 6am no less. He was on fire this particular morning, firing everyone up and making us laugh. (He knows his stuff, too.)

Michael Heather
February 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I will return the kumbayah to Rob Copeland, who is himself a challenge to understand at times. But he inspires me to be a better person with the patience of Job (a biblical reference - is that OK?).

My view from the punchbowl rarely changes, but sometimes improves.

chaos
February 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
But he inspires me to be a better person with the patience of Job (a biblical reference - is that OK?).

sure, but if you develop job's open sores, stay out of the pool.

tjburk
February 4th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Good idea Rob...

I have to honestly give a Kumbaya to Dave, Jim T, Leslie and many others on here...though we do not agree on some things...the back and forth keeps me going back and verifying what I have learned.

And I still want to buy y'all a beer some day!!!:chug:

ElaineK
February 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM
My first one goes to Ande Rasmussen for his "Swim Faster Faster" and "Ask Ande" threads. He has been so generous to share his knowledge and expertise with us! Read about it on Page 11 of this issue of Swimmer Magazine; it's a great write-up! (Disclaimer: The last paragraph was a quote by me, but I wasn't referring to THAT! :D )

My second one (but just as important!) goes to Allen Stark, THE King Frog on "The Breaststroke Lane" thread. Not only has he given excellent advise on the thread, he actually took the time to come right to my lane at Nationals and watch my races, so he could give me post-race advice and critique, along with a :cheerleader:. It wasn't even my idea; he just really wanted to help me out, even though he had his own breaststroke races to be concerned about.

Both Ande (with his warm welcome, "ELAINE-IAAAAAAK!!!") and Allen made this newbie at her first Nationals a very happy camper! :bliss:

A final shout out goes to my best swimming buddy, Michael (bzaks1424), even though we haven't actually met in person yet. As a fellow newbie, he sent me a PM, last spring, and befriended me. I like to think of him as the little brother I never had (I'm 49 and he's 26), but he was quick to remind me that I was old enough to be his MOTHER! :bitching: :censor: Michael, I'll forgive you for that one...

Michael has been a supportive friend through e-mails, PM's, and, even those dreaded IM's :D. And, his enthusiasm for swimming matches mine! :cheerleader: Michael, I can't wait to meet you at Nationals!

Thanks Ande, Allen, and Michael! YOU GUYS ROCK!!! :applaud:

ElaineK
February 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Another one goes to the Georgia team (including Ed Saltzman and Rob Copeland) responsible for landing 2011 SwimFest to be held at the Steve Lundquist Aquatic Center, 25 minutes from my house! :banana:
:applaud::applaud::applaud: :bliss:

ElaineK
February 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Translation: Thank you Mike Heather, it was so nice of you to support USMS, even above your marriage.

:afraid:

Guvnah
February 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Well this is a wonderful idea for a thread!

It's so easy to rant in this world. And that's not limited to the swimming world.

My kudo goes to my high school swim coach, Don Bardo, Bridgewater NJ. I had never done organized swimming. But in my freshman year I deciced to give the swim team a try. I could swim well enough not to drown. I had earned swimming and lifesaving merit badges in Boy Scouts...

So I tried out. You had to make the team, and the criterion was being able to swim 50 free (SCY) in 32 secs or better. I did 33.5. But he had one more slot on the team, and I had the best time of those who got cut, so he took a chance on me.

I was a veritable guppy on the team my first year. Amoeba. Driftwood. Started getting some technique and strength in my sophomore year, and actually earned some points in some meets (but not enough to earn a varsity letter.) Made varsity in my Junior year, and was the #1 sprinter in my senior year, qualifying for the state meet. I've been a fitness swimmer for years.

Coach Bardo's decision 40 years ago made a life-changing difference for me. Had he not taken me that first year, I would just be a floater today. Manatee. Probably very overweight and unhealthy. I wouldn't know what I was missing. But today I definitely know what I would have missed.

Thanks, Coach, wherever you are.

jim clemmons
February 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
... I would just be a floater today. Manatee. Probably very overweight and unhealthy.

Careful there, Guvnah. That be slander to some!

Just kidding...:chug:

couldbebetterfly
March 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'm sending out a "Swim Kumbaya", or rather a "Noodling Kumbaya" to a lovely lady I got talking to this morning.

I admit I am a bit of a "noodler basher" but at the end of the day it gets those people out of their houses for some social time and some "exercise".

Anyway I see this elderly lady most days I go, she parks in a disabled spot, waddles slowly into the building and is your typical noodler size & shape. So today she was showing me her brand new shiny pink lock as she'd lost her other one and we got chatting.

Turns out she's 85 :bow: I would have guessed at 70-75.

So a big "Noodling Kumbaya" to her and I hope I'm still driving around and being active at that age.