PDA

View Full Version : 2011 SwimFest in Georgia, near Atlanta!!!

ElaineK
February 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
WooooHOOOO! Congratulations to Ed Saltzman, Rob Copeland, and the rest of the Georgia team for landing 2011 SwimFest, to be held at the Steve Lundquist Aquatic Center, on May 20-22. :applaud: This is the pool I swim at (outside of my community) whenever possible. It's an excellent pool and an easy commute from Atlanta. I live just 25 minutes away, so I'll be there! :bliss:

If you plan on coming in from out of town for this, send me a PM! A post-SwimFest party at my house just may have to be in the works!

Cheers!
:chug:

Rob Copeland
February 10th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks! We are very fortunate to be awarded the bid.

We are still finalizing the details and getting promotional materials readied, but I have very high expectations after having seen the great work of Mel Goldstein, USMS Club and Coach Services Coordinator, who will be leading the effort.

More information will be available in the very near future, and will be posted at http://www.usms.org/swimfest/

Iíll see you there!:chug:

ElaineK
February 10th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks! We are very fortunate to be awarded the bid.

We are still finalizing the details and getting promotional materials readied, but I have very high expectations after having seen the great work of Mel Goldstein, USMS Club and Coach Services Coordinator, who will be leading the effort.

More information will be available in the very near future, and will be posted at http://www.usms.org/swimfest/

Iíll see you there!:chug:

Yep! You can count on that!!! :bliss:

laineybug
February 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM
A few months ago (Oct. I think) I was at a swim meet at the Steve Linquist Aquatic Center in Jonesboro. I want to say it is a BEAUTIFUL facility. Everything very well done. So, if you have the chance go to SwimFest, GO.
Lainey

I would be nice though if there was a loud speaker outside the facility where the teams set up so event/heat announcements could be heard. We were constantly jumping up and down, going in to figure out what event/heat was in the water.

WPSWIMS
February 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Keep me informed. I can start my trip to Atlanta a few days earlier since I will be driving from Denver. I have a friend who lives in Tyrone, so I can probably stay with her.

ElaineK
March 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Registration is open for SwimFest, 2011. Click on the link on the USMS Home Page for more information and registration. I just completed my registration and look forward to attending! :banana:

Send me a PM if you have any questions about the pool or area. Although I'm fairly new to Georgia, I live 25 minutes away from the pool and can try to help.

Party at my house!

Rob Copeland
March 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Send me a PM if you have any questions about the pool or area. Although I'm fairly new to Georgia, I live 25 minutes away from the pool and can try to help.

Party at my house!:chug:

I think I can find my way to the pool. But I'm interested in the party at your house
:drink::dj_dance::wine::turkey::popcorn::party2: :drink: :drink:

ElaineK
March 4th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Well, Rob, you just earned your entry in with your font choice and Smilies! :bliss:

In your expert opinion, which would be the better night:
1. Saturday- I live closer to the pool than I do to Peachtree City, so it would be convenient for everybody. BUT, hangovers on Sunday wouldn't be a good thing... AND, I'll have to make a side trip over to McDonough to the Geranium Festival to help Bruce break down his booth. So, there will be a delay getting the party started.
2. Sunday- My house is 45 minutes or so from PTC, but I will be available to get the party started as soon as things wrap up at the lake. BUT, some participants and coaches will be flying home on Sunday. AND, some people (like you, probably) have to work the next day. :badday: So, :chug: might be more like :chillpill: .

I will trust you to advise me on the best choice!

Cheers!

P.S. I also signed up for the GST Swim Power Test for my breaststroke and a stroke-to-be-named-later second choice. :banana:

Slowswim
March 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Congrats!:applaud:

I've never been to a SwimFest. Do they normally fill-up? How Fast?

I'm moving to Europe this summer. I'd like to attend, but won't able to commit until the last minute due to moving plans.

That Guy
March 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I think I can find my way to the pool. But I'm interested in the party at your house
:drink::dj_dance::wine::turkey::popcorn::party2: :drink: :drink:

some of those smilies might not be ok to drive, so you may have to roll them home.

ElaineK
March 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
some of those smilies might not be ok to drive, so you may have to roll them home.

:lmao:

Well, we do have a guest bedroom... How many of those little guys/gal can fit into a double bed? :bolt:

(But, that's a topic for another NSR thread... :censor:)

want2beafish
March 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I will be there! Since I have somewhat committed to swimming the 400 IM at St. Pat's (yes, I know it will be laughable), I'm also doing the four stroke analysis with Dr. G. so I can see everything I did wrong. :) I can't see passing up the opportunity to attend when Swim Fest is in my back yard! Thanks, Rob et. al.!

ElaineK
March 4th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I will be there! Since I have somewhat committed to swimming the 400 IM at St. Pat's (yes, I know it will be laughable), I'm also doing the four stroke analysis with Dr. G. so I can see everything I did wrong. :) I can't see passing up the opportunity to attend when Swim Fest is in my back yard! Thanks, Rob et. al.!

:applaud: Yeah, Kristin! I'm glad you will be there!

I'll see you for two of the four strokes; I haven't decided on my second stroke yet...

moodyrichardson
March 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
If I can get up the funds for this, I definitely want to come. Our club may get some summer money, so this may be a fun thing to do.

Slowswim
March 10th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm in!!:banana:

I've been swimming without a coach for 4 years now. Some constructive criticism will be great:bliss:

Not sure if I can make the :chug:.

ElaineK
March 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm in!!:banana:

I've been swimming without a coach for 4 years now. Some constructive criticism will be great:bliss:

Not sure if I can make the :chug:.

Way to go, Slow! I'll look forward to meeting you! :)

Slowswim
March 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Way to go, Slow! I'll look forward to meeting you! :)

I am so looking forward to some real technique coaching. I need the basics.

I'm looking forward to meeting some formites too.

I was number 19 to sign up.

See you there.

Donna
March 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'll be there as a coach this time. Plan to stay with my Aunt in Peachtree City since it is free.

See you there and even though it is a LOOONNNNNNGGGGG boring drive on I16 I will stay for some of the festivities at your house Elaine!

ElaineK
March 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I'll be there as a coach this time. Plan to stay with my Aunt in Peachtree City since it is free.

See you there and even though it is a LOOONNNNNNGGGGG boring drive on I16 I will stay for some of the festivities at your house Elaine!

:applaud: Way to go, Donna!

I haven't heard any feedback as to whether Saturday or Sunday would be better for the party. What's your vote? Hey, you can crash at our place after the party, if you would like!

Cheers!

Slowswim
March 24th, 2011, 04:18 PM
:applaud: Way to go, Donna!

I haven't heard any feedback as to whether Saturday or Sunday would be better for the party. What's your vote? Hey, you can crash at our place after the party, if you would like!

Cheers!

Elaine:

I just looked at the Web Site for the schedule (there's a good video there now). Saturday ends at 4:30 and Sunday at 1:30.

For people who will be heading home on Sunday, I think Saturday would be best. IMHO

ElaineK
March 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Elaine:

I just looked at the Web Site for the schedule (there's a good video there now). Saturday ends at 4:30 and Sunday at 1:30.

For people who will be heading home on Sunday, I think Saturday would be best. IMHO

Thanks for letting me know, Slow! Here is my only problem with Saturday: My husband is selling his art glass at the Geranium Festival, in McDonough, that day. So, I'm going to help him set up the booth, zip over to SwimFest, then zip over after it concludes, so I can help him break down the booth. The festival ends at 5pm; we should be home by 6:30PM. The party would have to be after that. But, that makes for a tough morning on Sunday, for those who :chug: ! When I think of all this, hmmmm... Sunday would be more convenient for me, but, like you say, it's not a good time for those returning home on Sunday.

Any more feedback from SwimFest attendees is welcome! :)

thewookiee
March 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I was looking over the registration information and noticed there wasn't an option to only sign-up for Saturday or Sunday.

Is this an oversight or do swimmers have to register for both days, even if they only want to attend one day?

ElaineK
March 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I was looking over the registration information and noticed there wasn't an option to only sign-up for Saturday or Sunday.

Is this an oversight or do swimmers have to register for both days, even if they only want to attend one day?

After reading your debate with 'Geek in Swimmer Magazine, I can guess which day you DON'T want to show up for.;) From what I can gather from the registration, sign ups are for the entire weekend. I don't believe there is an option to sign up for just one day. But, we all know NOT to look for you out at the lake, in Peachtree City! :D

thewookiee
March 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
After reading your debate with 'Geek in Swimmer Magazine, I can guess which day you DON'T want to show up for.;) From what I can gather from the registration, sign ups are for the entire weekend. I don't believe there is an option to sign up for just one day. But, we all know NOT to look for you out at the lake, in Peachtree City!

I won't be looking for you either.

aquageek
March 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I won't be looking for you either.

Dang, Wookiee, looks like you got dissed for the big shindig at Shady Acres Old Folks Home.

thewookiee
March 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Dang, Wookiee, looks like you got dissed for the big shindig at Shady Acres Old Folks Home.

Oh my, whatever will I do.

Rob Copeland
March 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Now boys, behave or I’ll need to show you the bottom side of Lake Peachtree.:drowning:

And if it helps you decide when to get together, we are planning a no-host social for Saturday evening, somewhere in or around the Dolce Hotel.
:dj_dance:

ElaineK
March 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Now boys, behave or Iíll need to show you the bottom side of Lake Peachtree.:drowning:

And if it helps you decide when to get together, we are planning a no-host social for Saturday evening, somewhere in or around the Dolce Hotel.
:dj_dance:

Great! Then, it looks like the party at "Shady Acres" is on for Sunday afternoon, for those who are still around and up to party! :chug: :wine: :ohyeah:

P.S. I didn't see your name on the psyche sheet for tomorrow. What's up?

thewookiee
March 25th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Now boys, behave or Iíll need to show you the bottom side of Lake Peachtree

You won't catch me near the lake. I am still debating about attending Swimfest. When planning the event, how come the option for signing-up for either Saturday or Sunday wasn't an option? What was the reasoning behind having swimmers sign-up for both days?

Rob Copeland
March 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
When planning the event, how come the option for signing-up for either Saturday or Sunday wasn't an option? What was the reasoning behind having swimmers sign-up for both days?
Actually the $130 fee was originally set as the one day fee, with a 2 day fee of $200. We decided to give all swimmers a special deal and give them 2 days for the price of 1.

thewookiee
March 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Actually the $130 fee was originally set as the one day fee, with a 2 day fee of $200. We decided to give all swimmers a special deal and give them 2 days for the price of 1.

You can always bring your boat and go fishing for bass or suckers on Sunday.:worms:

Ok. Thanks for the clarification

thewookiee
March 31st, 2011, 02:50 PM
The information lists some hotels around 20 miles or so from the pool. Are there any hotels closer to the pool?

swimshark
April 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
The information lists some hotels around 20 miles or so from the pool. Are there any hotels closer to the pool?

There are a lot of hotels in Jonesboro. Here is a small list from a web site http://hotelguides.com/georgia/jonesboro-ga-hotels.html Jonesboro is a fairly good sized city and finding a hotel there shouldn't be a problem.

thewookiee
April 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
There are a lot of hotels in Jonesboro. Here is a small list from a web site http://hotelguides.com/georgia/jonesboro-ga-hotels.html Jonesboro is a fairly good sized city and finding a hotel there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. I don't care what Geek says about you, you are a really helpful shark

Rob Copeland
April 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
You can also find dozens of hotels near the pool by using http://maps.google.com/ and search for ďPost Way Jonesboro GA hotelsĒ
There are lots of hotels near the pool. And if you are doing the Saturday (pool only) portion of SwimFest then there are cheaper and more convenient accommodations.
We chose the Dolce in Peachtree City because 1) Iíve seen and am comfortable with the service and conference facilities they provide groups like ours, 2) itís close to the open water venue, 3) they offered a great room rate, and most important 4) Iím basically lazy and my recommendations on pool, lake and hotel locations are based on positive personal experience and not exhaustive research. Mea culpa.

swimshark
April 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks. I don't care what Geek says about you, you are a really helpful shark

Hm, guess what Geek said about your compliments being empty was off a bit, too.

thewookiee
April 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hm, guess what Geek said about your compliments being empty was off a bit, too.

Geek wishes he was half the wookiee that I am.

swimshark
April 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM
Geek wishes he was half the wookiee that I am.

He's half the hair.

thewookiee
April 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
He's half the hair.

Have you seen Geek? He has less hair than a plucked goose.

moodyrichardson
April 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
YAY!!! As of today, I'm officially going to SwimFest, registered and everything!!! Can't wait to see you all there!!

ElaineK
April 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
YAY!!! As of today, I'm officially going to SwimFest, registered and everything!!! Can't wait to see you all there!!

I'm looking forward to finally meeting you! Where are you staying? And, for how long?? I'm hoping to get a party together at my house on Sunday, after we are finished at the lake. You're invited!

Rob Copeland
April 15th, 2011, 01:01 PM
For those planning on staying at the host hotel (Dolce Peachtree City) please use the rate code ďUSMASTERĒ to get the group rate of $89/night.

moodyrichardson
April 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I'm looking forward to finally meeting you! Where are you staying? And, for how long?? I'm hoping to get a party together at my house on Sunday, after we are finished at the lake. You're invited!

I'm not sure yet. There's several of us going as a team. I'm not doing the open water, but staying with a friend there in town on Saturday night. I should be passing back through about the time you guys get finished at the lake.