PDA

View Full Version : Suit giving me a hickey!

Birkit
February 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Lifelong swimmer but the shoulder strap on my left (breathing side) tends to rub my neck RAW RAW RAW on a long workout (1 mile or more).

Any advice?

Caveats:
I am super lazy and yes I breathe every stroke.
I hate conventional suits for workout (let's face it, not everyone likes to put the old crotcheroo on display all the time) so my swim top is just a workout top (Lycra with shelf bra, though straps are about as wide as standard female swimsuit). Bottoms are square leg--I get the occasional odd look, but then when I smoke 'em in my outlandish garb, they shut up reeel fast. Heh.

sbegonia
February 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I don't really have a solution for you but :rofl:

Maybe try out a regular 2-piece suit? I have a long torso (aka short legs) and a 1 piece tends to pull at the neck & the crotch and I'm more prone to chafing at the neck & sides when I wear one. I find 2 pieces more comfortable. I also prefer the thin spaghetti straps to the thick ones. I've never seen anyone wearing a workout top for swimming but could it be the fabric is hickey-inducing w/ repetitive motion.

Atlantic
February 7th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Purchase a stick of Bodyglide. It looks like deoderant, but just apply some to your neck before you practice and you should be good to go. Many swim shops have this item!

kgernert
February 8th, 2011, 07:54 AM
A little bit of Vaseline on your neck before you get into the pool will also ease the rubbing.

couldbebetterfly
February 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM
A little bit of Vaseline on your neck before you get into the pool will also ease the rubbing.

Yes - Vaseline is good! This would happen to me on long distance sets and I think it was a combination of the amount of swimming and the suit. At the time I wore a thick-ish strap endurance suit, which over time lose what little elasticity they had, so are not clinging to your shoulder as well.

As PPs have said, try out a few different suits if you can :)

Or wear it as a badge of honour for the yardage you've just completed :D

Danielle
February 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Thin straps I find don't rub as much or at all. I've found that polyester suits rub less too and last longer!

ElaineK
February 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Yes - Vaseline is good!

Yep, it sure is! :applaud: I use it under my shoulder straps where they rub, as well as around my eyes where the goggles fit. Not only does Vaseline help protect delicate skin surrounding the eye; the goggles fit better and won't leak. This works especially great on starts- in addition to wearing my goggles UNDER a double cap in competition.

By the way, save yourself some money and buy the store brand instead of Vaseline; it's all the same! :2cents:

nkfrench
February 8th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thin straps I find don't rub as much or at all. I've found that polyester suits rub less too and last longer! My experience has been the opposite - the poly suits last longer BUT some of the older poly fabrics cause more chafing than lycra or the newer poly/PBT suits.

See if somebody can look at your technique to make sure you're well-aligned both on your entry and while breathing.

Finally, if pool chemicals are out of whack they can irritate your skin unduely. Do you have the same irritation in a different pool?

orca1946
February 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Vaseline works for running, swimming & most other things that rub & irritate
except bad relationships!!!!:bolt:

bzaks1424
February 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Vaseline works for running, swimming & most other things that rub & irritate
except bad relationships!!!!:bolt:

For those I recommend WD-40, you get much longer lasting effects. :rofl:

__steve__
February 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Any uploaded pictures of this hickey?