PDA

View Full Version : OWS events in Japan

Alei
February 7th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Hi

I doubt very many of you are interested, but if you are, I will start to progressively list OWS races/events that are held in Japan.
I am an Australian, living/working in Tokyo, and last year I started competing in OWS events in Japan. None of the information about OWS in Japan is written in English (only Japanese). If you're interested in OWS events in Japan (and Asia) let me know. Will be happy to help you out with info and language assistance (as most will require some Japanese language skills).

Here are some events which I have translated, which are already taking entries for 2011. There are lots more to come but are yet to be officially announced. Prices are in yen, and correspond respectively to the swim distance. As more events get listed, I will post them in this thread.

12 June / 2nd Minami Izu Yumigahama swim race / Yumigahama beach (Izu peninsula)
400m/1km/2km
cost: 2000/5000/60000

10 July / 17th Atami beach swim
Atami beach
400m/800m/3.2km
cost: 2000/4000/8000

24 July / 6th Aichi South swim / Aichi prefecture
400m/1km/3km
cost: 2000/5000/8000

4 Sep / 5th Minami Bosou swim race / Chiba prefecture
400m/1km/3km
cost: 2000/5000/8000

Let me know if you're interested in OWS in Japan.

sydned
February 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I would definitely be interested. i was just in Japan in October, with plans to return as soon as possible. I'd also love to know about swims in other parts of Asia, Korea specifically.
Thanks!
Sydne

Alei
February 9th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Hi Sydned

I can definitely help you out with OWS events in Japan- but as I mentioned all available info and sites are in Japanese. If I know what distance events and month of the year etc you plan to swim, I can translate the info and help you out.
This site is the official Japan International OWS Association. They organise most of the national OWS events http://www.openwater.gr.jp/index.html (http://www.openwater.gr.jp/index.html)
All events which they organise are listed on that site.
I did about 3-4 of their events last year. They are well-organised, but the entry fees are pricey. Be prepared to travel a little ways to to swim venues. Beaches in Japan are away from main cities like Tokyo. However all accessible by train/shinkansen. I use trains to reach all my OWS events throughout Japan. Most swim distances range from 400m to 3km.

Longer distance swims are usually organised by private organisation and local governments and sporting communities. They tend to be a little cheaper in price, but a lot better value eg tshirt and lunch thrown in. I actually prefer these events more. I did a 4km ows event last year and it drew 800people, larger turnout than the JIOWSA swims.

A couple of other organisations do up to 5-6km ows events.

There is only one OWS race in Hokkaido (in a lake, 800m and/or 1.5km) - very low key race but very family friendly including a kids aquathlon. I have done this one 2 years in a row.

There are also some aquathlon events in Japan if you're interested as well. I did a baby beginner aquathlon last year (i.e swim + run race).

There are some longer swims, but are yet to be released for the year.
OWS in Japan kicks off from May until Oct with majority of swims during June, July, August. Japanese summers are incredibly hot and humid.

My favourite Japanese OWS site is http://www.openwaterswim.jp/race/index.html (http://www.openwaterswim.jp/race/index.html)
Here they list all OWS throughout Japan regardless of who they are organised by. It is the most comprehensive list, but has not yet been updated for this year. Hopefully over the next couple of months.

Some more challenging swims is the Lake Biwa cross swim. It's 16km (team/relay swim only).

there is an individual 10km OWS event at miura beach, as well as maybe one or two more other 10km ows events.

The official OWS 2011 calendar has not yet been released.
I will post up all/or as many events as I can when they become available.

In other parts of Asia:
There is 3.5km swim in Guam - Cocos Intl crossing.

As for Korea - you're going to need someone who can read/translate Korean.
I found the official OWS association of korea website. You can explore by clicking randomly, but I can't read it. I imagine they will post up events when they become available. http://www.akows.com/ (http://www.akows.com/)

I have only found one OWS event in Korea and that is Manripo beach swim in Taean - google it to find out (I couldn't link it here).

Beach swims in Japan are generally tame conditions, very little waves, water is very warm and surprisingly quite clean. I did however have one really bad incident last year with jellyfish/seabathers eruption.

Let me know specifically what kind of info you're after.
I blogged about some of my races last year if you're after photos and a more in-depth review of ows in Japan.

mjtyson
February 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
This is awesome. Thanks!

sydned
March 12th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Alei,
Just checking to see if you are okay after the events of the last few days. So far, all of my friends are okay, and I hope you are as well.
Please keep USMS forumites informed about things we might be able to do to help.
All the best,
Sydne

stillwater
March 12th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Yes please, let us know how it's going.

I have been in many earthquakes. I can't imagine what an 8.9 is like.

I wish you the best.

Alei
March 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hi all

Thanks for your thoughts and concern.
I still remain in Tokyo.
I was here when the earthquake hit. Was definitely a shock when it hit (I was at work) however I am fine.
But my heart goes out to the people of Tohoku and Fukushima.
I actually used to live in Fukushima so I have very genuine concerns for all affected there, including friends there.
The recovery and rebuilding process will be a mammoth task ahead, and in radiation-affected areas many people will be forced to rebuild their lives elsewhere.

If you're interested, I have spent the last several years blogging about my life in Japan. I have been here for 5 years.
This is a link to my blog (http://memoirsofaleisha.blog.com/), where I have written some posts about the events of late.
I also have past OWS Japan write-ups there, and will get around to updating it with Japan OWS events when I can, obviously not a priority at the moment. (although I doubt many of you will be in any hurry to sign up for any events here in Japan anytime soon).

sydned
April 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM
So glad to hear that you are okay, although of course, it's still a tenuous situation there. I just met a family who moved here to live with relatives because they had concerns about their children being in Tokyo right now. I imagine it is a very scary time.

Thank you for the tip on your blog. I will add it to my list of ones I read for my Japanistic website. (I have an e-commerce site that specializes in products from Japan and we have been following events closely on our blog. It's good to be able to hear from people who are actually there. In case you're interested, it's japanistic.com)

And yes, the Murakami book is DEFINITELY worth a read. He's my absolute favorite.

And in the humor category, there is actually a bread shoe dance, somewhere on youtube, that is hilarious. Worth trying to find.

Again, thank you for letting us know that you are safe. We continue to keep the people of Japan in our thoughts and hearts. Be well,
Sydne

Stealth_Jared555
April 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hello Alei, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and all those affected by the earthquake/tsunami and the ongoing radiation crisis.

I am an American Soldier who will be stationed in the Kanagawa prefecture after I finish my tour in Afghanistan this September. I am an avid swimmer and was wondering if there are any places I can still swim competitively while I am over there. Any and all advice would be appreciated! Blessings!

Alei
April 7th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hi Stealth Jared

Kanagawa prefecture is a really nice place to be located. That's where all the beaches are, coz there's certainly none in Tokyo.
A few of the OWS events are held down that way.
I imagine the base down there would have decent fitness facilities and you should have easy access to swimming pools.

September is nearing the end of the OWS season in Japan.
However, I just updated my blog yesterday where I am translating all the OWS events for the year.
You can check there for the OWS race calendar.
Take a browse through my blog and you'll be able to also find write-ups on past races I've done and other swimming-related posts.
Link is here (http://memoirsofaleisha.blog.com/ows-japan-2011-eventrace-calendar/).