PDA

View Full Version : FINIS snorkels

DanSad
February 11th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'm looking to buy a snorkel, to use while swimming freestyle to work on technique. I've read the reviews of these two snorkels and wanted to see if there was any concensus from readers here.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1221.htm
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3029.htm

Based on the product name it would seem like an obvious choice but many reviewers complained about too much water getting into the 'freestyle' snorkel while swimming. However, I'm guessing the 'freestyle' version may be easier to clear after flip turns.

Speedo
February 11th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm looking to buy a snorkel, to use while swimming freestyle to work on technique. I've read the reviews of these two snorkels and wanted to see if there was any concensus from readers here.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1221.htm
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3029.htm

Based on the product name it would seem like an obvious choice but many reviewers complained about too much water getting into the 'freestyle' snorkel while swimming. However, I'm guessing the 'freestyle' version may be easier to clear after flip turns.I've only used the freestyle version, so I can't say if it is easier to clear or not. I'm the only one in my workout group that has the freestyle version, and I do find that if we're doing a snorkel set that most others stop and futz aorund with the normal snorkels, while I can keep going. Not sure if they are stopping due to water clearance issues, or due to the snorkel shifting when they push off of the wall- there is more resistance (and possibly more movement because of that) with the upright snorkels I believe. :2cents:

I think any snorkel will take some getting used to, though.

Atlantic
February 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I agree with Speedo, any snorkel is going to take some getting used to. Just remember to buy a nose plug too, it helps on turns (I've tried to use the snorkel without and I just don't have the coordination to keep the water out of my nose when I flip). It'll give you one less thing to think about when you are using the snorkel.

DanSad
February 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks.

Yes I did read about the non-freestyle version moving around a bit more on turns. And the need for a nose plug.

(re-read my post "consensus")

jbs
February 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I have both. I found it very hard to learn to swim with them. I started with the freestyle, then bought the regular because it had a purge valve, which I thought might make it easier to use. It turns out that what I really needed was a nose plug.

Once I got over the initial learning curve, I have to say I don't notice a lot of difference or have a huge preference. The freestyle does stay in place better during turns. But I use the regular one more, though only because it's the one at the pool while the freestyle is in a swim bag at home. They both seem to me to be about equally easy to clear.

Since I use it exclusively for free, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the freestyle and a nose plug, but that's not a really strong preference. I'd say either will work fine.

aquageek
February 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I have the swimmer's dorkel from Finis. I agree it wiggles around a bit and you should wear a nose clip. However, the wiggling has a secret benefit as it teaches you to keep your head totally still while swimming and especially on the turns. You are going to get a lot of water in your tube so just get used to it and learn how to quickly purge.

I am convince that the dorkel is the best swim aid of all the toys made. There's no faking a swim while you dorkelize.

Speedo
February 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I am convince that the dorkel is the best swim aid of all the toys made. There's no faking a swim while you dorkelize.And someone told me you can limit the air intake with a flamin' cheeto.

knelson
February 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I've never used the freestyle model, but the normal one works fine once you get used to it. I wouldn't buy a nose plug right away. Try it without first. I'm not going to lie, it did take me a while to get the hang of swimming with the snorkel, but getting water up my nose was never the problem.

Just don't get discouraged if at first you feel like you're going to drown. It happens to the best of us! :)

aquageek
February 11th, 2011, 11:57 AM
While it may be the best training aid for some, I've found others far easier to use. And if you can't use it, it holds little value.

It does take getting used to. You just have to be diligent and learn. But, it is not impossible.

Allen Stark
February 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I have both.I almost never use the freestyle any more.It is much easier to use in turns,but if there are any waves it goes from being a snorkel to being a straw.I find I am much more comfortable with the regular one.

sbegonia
February 11th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I have the regular kind. Regarding water up the nose issue... it was an issue the first few times but then I got used to it. I've been told by my coach that with some practice, most people learn to keep a little pressure up in there to prevent too much water from entering. And it was true for me. But I do feel the need to occasionally blow out through my nose to clear it out. I probably do this once every couple of laps. Or you could also just blow out through the nose all the time... I tried that and it felt weird to me but whatever works. I haven't tried the nose clip thing but as I said, I think with a little practice, most people can get used to not using one.

ourswimmer
February 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
[T]he wiggling has a secret benefit as it teaches you to keep your head totally still while swimming and especially on the turns. . . . [T]he dorkel is the best swim aid of all the toys made.

I agree 100% with both of these statements. Further, I suspect that people who criticize the snorkel for how much water gets in while they swim may be missing the entire point of the device.

I cannot help decide between the "regular" and the "freestyle" models, though, because I have tried only the "regular" model.

Lump
February 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I've had the freestlye Finis model for over a year. Takes a little getting used to. I have no issues with it at all (I swim alone though, no big waves). Not sure why anyone would need or want a nose clip as you should be exhaling out your nostrils on a flip turn anyway.

I also have the "cardio cap" that you put on top and limits air even further. I don't use it that much and you literally can only go about 50-60% effort due to the amount of air you are receiving. Even with the regular snorkel I can only go about 80% of what I usually do with a good effort.

I use the snorkel for two distinct purposes: 1. breath control and 2. head position (keeping it down and looking at the bottom of the pool)

Bobinator
February 12th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I have the regular model and it works fine.
When I was "getting used to it" I did nothing further than 25's and drills and only used it for 10-15 minutes.
After a couple weeks I started trying flip turns. Nose plugs bother me, I don't want to end up as an old lady with a cauliflower nose so I just forced my self to get used to flipping and blowing through my nose.
Just be patient with yourself for a month(no matter which model you choose) and you won't even have to think about using it.

Chris Stevenson
February 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
After a couple weeks I started trying flip turns. Nose plugs bother me...so I just forced my self to get used to flipping and blowing through my nose. Just be patient with yourself for a month(no matter which model you choose) and you won't even have to think about using it.

I agree with the Bobinator. I started out with 50s but the concept was similar: just get used to them, don't worry about speed. After a while it just clicks; at this point the turns are the main thing slowing me down.

If/when you have access to a long course pool, that would be even better. The snorkel is a lot more fun LCM, you can just zone out and concentrate on your technique. (I still don't much worry about times when I use the snorkel, though I know some swimmers who are actually faster when wearing the thing.)

My main piece of advice, take it or leave it: when blowing out the water after a turn, don't exhale too forcefully. If you do and still you haven't fully cleared the snorkel, well that can be a problem. :) It doesn't take much to clear the snorkel of water, in my experience.

I never tried it with nose plugs, I don't think I had an issue with that aspect. For me the main problem was access to oxygen, I had 1-2 panic attacks when I thought I wasn't getting enough. Then suddenly it clicks and everything is fine.

I use the regular model and unfortunately I think it teaches you to push off with your head raised a bit. If I use my regular streamline position and push off with any kind of force, the thing flies off or gets wrenched around. So I take it easy on the turns when I use the snorkel.

BillS
February 14th, 2011, 12:28 PM
After months of benign neglect in my swim bag (despite regular use), the greenish spores in the mouthpiece have increased to the point where I'm thinking I may actually have to clean the damn thing. A bleach bath doesn't seem right somehow. Anyone got any advice on what to use to clean out the mouthpiece?

E=H2O
February 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have been using the freestyle snorkel for about a month. A couple of observations. First is that it did take a bit of time for me to be able to flip without getting water up my nose, but once you figure it out it is a non-issue. I was never satisfied with how my snorkel would clear so when I go to do it I lift my head slightly when I blow. it seems to help a lot. Other than that I think it's been great. It has made a significant change in my stroke.

ColoJoel
February 14th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I too just got the 'regular' Finis snorkel - I've only used it a few times (not at master's workouts, just on my own). I have had many of the issues that have been mentioned -- water in the tube (trying to expel it), moving (wiggling) around on push-off glide, needing to blow nose, but also the feeling of the 'bit' in my mouth. It's been many years since I used a snorkel (and mask) set, maybe as many say I just need to use it more (& follow the tips some of you gave). I thought at first it was just 'me' having these issues, apparently not :). Thanks everyone!

bamueller
February 16th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I have the freestyle snorkel. It was difficult to get used to at first. If you like the sensation of drowning, you'll enjoy the snorkel. For a week I wanted to return it. Now I use it regularly, ever practice as my main warm-up set. I have been using it for two years now. It helps me see my hand and arm positions and work on my stroke.

I normally do a 600 warm up (200 swim, 200 pull, 200 kick), then do the main warm-up set, which is usually another 500-800 depending. I use the snorkel in these sets to work on head position and technique. I can swim at 80%, and I can feel the restriction on breathing. I do not use a nose plug because I breathe out of my nose on flip turns.

I vote to add this to your daily swim bag. The snorkel is daily for me, paddles 90% of my workouts I will do some paddling.