PDA

View Full Version : Rule for fly kick

flyingfish1
February 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I know for masters you can do the frog kick with fly, but can you change from dolphin kick to frog kick in the middle of a 200? Haha. Just worrying that I might not be able to finish it.. What is the usms rule? Does anyone know?

Brian Stack
February 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I know for masters you can do the frog kick with fly, but can you change from dolphin kick to frog kick in the middle of a 200? Haha. Just worrying that I might not be able to finish it.. What is the usms rule? Does anyone know?

Take a look at the the Rule Book, available online under the Articles & Publications tab on the USMS.org home page (http://www.usms.org/rules/).

Here's what you asked about:

101.3.3 Kick—All up and down movements of the legs and feet must be simultaneous.
The position of the legs or the feet need not be on the same level, but
they shall not alternate in relation to each other. The breaststroke or whip
kick may be used exclusively or interchangeably with the dolphin kick while
doing the butterfly stroke at any time during the race. Only one breaststroke
or whip kick is permitted per arm pull, except that a single breaststroke
or whip kick is permitted prior to the turn and the finish without an arm
pull. After the start and after each turn, a single breaststroke or whip kick
is permitted prior to the first arm pull. A scissors kicking movement is not
permitted.

Enjoy your 200 Fly and Good Luck!

Allen Stark
February 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM

You can start the frog kick at any point in the race.You can swim a few strokes with frog kick and then go back to dolphin kick.You can take a frog kick and a dolphin kick in the same stroke.What you cannot do is take more than one frog kick off the wall before the first stroke,nor can you take more than one frog kick per pull.

Redbird Alum
February 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Here you go... looks like you can use both.

101.3.3 Kick—

All up and down movements of the legs and feet must be simultaneous. The position of the legs or the feet need not be on the same level, but they shall not alternate in relation to each other. The breaststroke or whip kick may be used exclusively or interchangeably with the dolphin kick while doing the butterfly stroke at any time during the race. Only one breaststroke or whip kick is permitted per arm pull, except that a single breaststroke or whip kick is permitted prior to the turn and the finish without an arm pull. After the start and after each turn, a single breaststroke or whip kick is permitted prior to the first arm pull. A scissors kicking movement is not permitted.

flyingfish1
February 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Thank you all! Now, knowing the rule, I think I'll be confident enough to do all dolphin kick.

jaadams1
February 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you all! Now, knowing the rule, I think I'll be confident enough to do all dolphin kick.

There you go!!! The only butterfly I've ever known has used a dolphin kick! :banana:

james lucas
February 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
So let's see if I have this straight:

You can take only ONE frog, whip or breast-stroke kick per arm cycle ... but it doesn't say how many dolphin kicks you can take per cycle.

Can you take two dolphin kicks per arm cycle AND one breast-stroke kick in that same arm cycle? (In other words, three kicks, one of which is a frog or breast-stroke kick?).

makesense
February 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I believe you can take all the dolphin kicks you want ALONG WITH 1 breast stroke kick per cycle (arm-leg)

eg, dolphin kick the whole length of the pool....as long as you touch with both hands at the wall, and that assumes you did the initial pull back followed by a recovery to get your hands forward. (if you dive in, arms forward, never pull back...conceivably you could dolphin kick all the way to the other wall with no arm pull whatsoever)...swimmer is permitted to do arm pulls, but not required by rule!

orca1946
February 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Brian pulled up all that we need to know, thanx Brian.