PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

Dennis Tesch
September 16th, 2003, 02:42 PM
I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife.

I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time.

I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more..

Thanks everyone..

Dennis

msgrupp
September 16th, 2003, 09:49 PM
arthroscopic surgery on a search engine. Even try your specific injury with Arthroscopic Labrum surgery.

Quite a few professional athletes incur this type of injury.

From what I understand, the little "cup" (glenoid labrum)that your humerus fits into is rough on an edge and causing the humerus (?) to slip out. The repair is to the edge of the little cup to prevent the slipping.

Look at some anatomy text or internet sites to see exactly what's the problem. Medscape (free registration) offers some good search engines for specific problems.

MegSmath
September 17th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Dennis,

A teammate of mine, who doesn't participate in the discussion forum, recently had surgery for a torn labrum and is doing very well. She will soon be back in the water. Email me privately and I'll give you her email so you can talk to her directly. I don't think she'd mind talking to you about it, but would like to ask her first.

Meg

Karlene
September 17th, 2003, 11:32 AM
I had arthroscopic surgery at the end of January. Surgeon cleaned up tears in the rotator cuff tendons. I lost about 30% of the tendons and the remainder is tacked down with a permanent metal staple. Repair of a SLAP lesion (labrum tear) and stabilized with a biodegradable screw. Cleaned the surfaces of the humeral head and glenoid fossa and left with a "bald spot", an area devoid of cartilage that is bone on bone. It was a very painful and long recovery but am happy to report that I competed at LC Nat'ls in the 3 backstroke events just 7-1/2 months post surgery. I can now also swim freestyle and am swimming 4 days per week and about 3000 yds. per workout (2000 swimming and 1000 kicking). So there is a swimming life after surgery IF you have a good surgeon and a aggressive rehab program. Dennis if you want more detailed information, I am in the USMS e-mail directory.

Laura Groselle
September 18th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Dennis,

I have the same injury and highly recommend that you not only get a second opinion...get a third medical opinion.

Do some research on these orthopaedic people and find at least one that has a reputation for encouraging agressive rehab and further injury prevention BEFORE they do any surgery. The decision to have surgery should be made after exhausting all non-surgical options.

Laura

Dennis Tesch
September 18th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the help... on my injury. I will tell you happens with my decision. If I do have surgery I will let you know how it goes and what I would differently when it is over.

Dennis

If there are anymore thoughts let me know.

seltzer
September 19th, 2003, 03:59 PM
I had surgery five weeks ago for "massive" SLAP lession (the labrum was detached from the bone) and "serious" rotator cuff tear. The labrum injury was non-swimming related and caused, some time later the rotator cuff tear. I tried massage, tested my shoulder arm from various other problems and then after the MRI showed a "possible" SLAP lession and partial rotator cuff tear (it was work the tear was nearly full thickness) I started a six week rehab program. After one week of rehab the pain got worse and my PT suggested scrapping it and finding another doc. (Cortisone also didn't help at all). That's when I had surgery. BTW, this doctor told me that rehab will not repair a SLAP lesion.

During the six months of trying to figure out what to do I spoke to a number of swimmers who elected to have this surgery (I did not speak to those who elected to rehab it so there was a built in bias). I heard repeated stories of failed rehab..or rehab that worked for a short time. I was pretty much resigned to surgery by then so these stories did not really impact my decision that much.

If rehab and the other treatments methods don't work and you do have surgery a few words of advice. The surgery is really a piece of cake. It doesn't take more than 1-2 hours. BUT once the nerve block wears off it hurts like hell. I'd insist on getting morphine if I ever do my other shoulder. Also talk to your doctor about pain management in advance. Get lots of drugs because you'll need them.

I'm told that it will take at least 12 weeks of rehab (because of the labrum injury I couldn't start rehab until 10 days after surgery and the first 6-8 weeks is dedicated to regaining motion) before I can start swimming and 12 months before fully recovered.

The good news is that many people who've had this surgery report a very good experience one year out.

Good luck

PS: Laura--hope your shoulder is better. It's tough sitting on the sidelines watching Jenny get into fine racing shape.

gull
September 22nd, 2003, 10:45 AM
Check out this article from The Physician and Sports Medicine:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/06_99/richards.htm

It's a nice review of the glenoid labrum and SLAP injuries.

geoswim
November 6th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Condition:
I have the same labrum tear condition as Dennis. I'm 28 and have swam competitively my entire life. About 11 months ago I was swimming with hand paddles, and being a little bit out of shape, decided to push it a little to hard. Something felt really wrong and has never gotten better. X-Rays revealed nothing, yet an MRI showed a slight tear in the labrum. I am experiencing the same "catching" or popping feeling on freestyle during the recovery. Only an over-extended or very high elbow recovery allows me to avoid this catching sensation, yet the muscles around my shoulder still get very sore trying to hold everything in place.

Question:
Is there a shoulder support on the market that has been used by swimmers? If so, does it work? Is there anything else that can be done for a labrum tear besides surgery? My shoulder doesn't hurt in general, yet I want to swim and that is when the pain arrives.

seltzer
November 6th, 2003, 01:45 PM
You should see a doctor AND an experienced sports physical therapist. You will likely be advised to try PT first and as pointed out elsewhere this is highly desirable. I strongly recommend against any swimming that hurts and stay away from any "support"devices that will help you swim. Stay focused on recovery.

Furthermore, "slight" tears as evidenced through MRIs are quite inaccurate. It may be 20% detached or 70% detached or it might be totally detached. You'll know more once you try PT. If it doesn't start getting better within 6 weeks (no matter how miniscule the progress) then you'll need to look into other options.

Recovery from labrum injury takes a long time.

Again, you should avoid swimming until this is resolved. If you swim with a labrum injury you can easily mess up your mechanics and then cause damage to parts of the shoulder such as the rotator cuff.

Good luck

Paul Smith
November 9th, 2003, 10:38 AM
My wife recently had surgery for what was diagnosed as "tendenopothy", something that she has suffered from for almost 10 months. She did this after a lot of PT, kick only workouts, cortisone, etc. etc. failed to improve the pain.

The scary thing was that after the surgeon started the surgery he quickly found what the MRI & X-rays didn't show, almost a 95% tear of her rotator cuff. Thankfully this surgeon has a long background of working with swimmers/athletes and was able to complete the surgery arthroscopically (he mentioned some doctors would have opened up the shoulder) and she should heal completely (6 months out of the water however).

Point being; get several opinions, preferably with a doc who understands swimming. However, delaying surgery often can make things worse like it did for Laura, no amount of PT, acupuncture, cortisone or rest would have healed the problem.

Good luck Dennis!

cinc3100
November 9th, 2003, 05:41 PM
I was wondering about swimming damaging other parts of the body. I had a severe stomach pain and had to rest a little in bed. I cut the yardage down recently and now an swimming slowly. The sprints made me very sore. So, how can you tell if you need to see a doctor for your shoulder or knees or stomach or groin for injuries.

jroddin
January 5th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I had never heard of a SLAP tear until I learned that I had one! Then of course I started hearing all kinds of stories about swimmers with SLAP tears. I'm 34 and have been swimming competitively most of my life and fortunately had never had any problems or injuries. In November of 2002 I began having pain in my left shoulder. I nursed it along for maybe 8 months (including both SC and LC Nats!) before doing anything about it. I changed my workouts to be 100% quality with no wasted yards because I felt like it was the repetitions that were killing me. Anyway, went through an MRI that revealed nothing, two different cortisone shots that did nothing and physical therapy for about 6 weeks that did nothing. Than I had a dye MRI done which revealed the tear. Had surgery on December 18th and am now in my sling for another couple weeks.

Good points have been made above about the actual surgery (very little pain for the first day or two but then it can be rather painful). I had some sort of pain pump for 48 hours after surgery. Basically an IV drip that is spring loaded and automatically feeds you some liquid pain med directly into the shoulder. After 48 hours it runs dry and they take it out. It fits nicely inside your sling and I believe it helped quite a bit. I was off the pain meds after about 4-5 days.

I was told 6 months to regain full strength with the possibility of being back in the water doing light swimming in 4 months. If you want to be aggressive you can do things sooner (Lenny K. won the 100m back at the US Open almost 6 months to the day after having surgery for a torn labrum). But he is a full time swimmer and my guess is he had full access to doctors and physical therapists to help him along. And my research also found a professional baseball player who had SLAP tear surgery and reinjured himself on the very first pitch after his doctors told him it was ok to try pitching again. So it is best to go slowly. Unless anybody has heard of a story where somebody went too slowly and never regained full range of motion?

My doctor wants me to wear the sling for a total of 4 weeks and then start physical therapy about 2 weeks after that. In the meantime he has me doing exercises on my own each day at home - mostly just trying to slowly gain back some range of motion.

If anybody wants to talk about PT during recovery for SLAP tear surgery please email me at jroddin@pvmasters.org

Jeff Roddin

gull
January 6th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Good luck with your rehab. The big question is what can be done to prevent another tear in the future, which is also relevant to those of us who have not suffered a SLAP injury yet (at least one that's been diagnosed).

jim thornton
November 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I went to a physical therapist today to have my shoulder looked at, and after putting it through various maniupulations, some of which caused pain and restricted movement and some of which didn't, he told me I definitely have impingment and tendinitis/capsulitis, plus there's a chance (though not necessarily a great likelihood) of a SLAP lesion.

Questions:

1) SLAP lesions seem to be the new kid on the shoulder block, so to speak. They also seem notoriously difficult to diagnose without going in with a scope and taking a look. Any chance they are being overdiagnosed?

2) It seems that the consensus opinion among surgeons is that these things won't heal on their own. Does anyone know why not? In terms of back problems, it used to be a given than a herniated disk causes pain, and needs to be fixed surgically. Then I recall reading that many, many people have herniated disks that cause no pain--that, in fact, the rate of pain with or without herniation seems about the same. Is it possible that SLAP lesions are the same--i.e., there may be plenty of asymptomatic folks out there with SLAP legions, but only the ones with pain get seen and diagnosed.

If any of you out there are orthopods, trainers, or PTs, I would also appreciate any stats on the success of surgical repairs.

And one last question: if I do have tendinitis w/o a SLAP tear or any kind of rotator cuff tear, how long does it take for inflamation to quiet down, assuming I don't keep tweaking it? What is a good time length to wait to see if there's any improvement?

Seagurl51
November 16th, 2004, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's injuries. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I do have a question though. I dislocated my shoulder a few months ago and it seemed to be getting better. However a few weeks ago my shoulder kinda started popping and grinding during my recovery on my strokes. I went to the doctor and he said that my AC joint was banging together (apparently because of the ligament) and to take some time off so I did. My shoulder has full range of motion with only a little pain when I pull it from my back up to my shoulders, and when I stress it, usually caused by work. So anyway, after reading everybody's posts my condition sounds somewhat similar with a few slight exceptions. It sounds like the pain is mostly chronic, or there all the time. Is this correct? And my shoulder doesn't pop and catch it seems to pop and grind. Should I go back to the doctor and ask about a possible SLAP lesion or is this simply something completely unrelated? Again, speedy recovery to everyone!!

~Kyra

msgrupp
November 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Slap lesion. I had the same problem back in 1989. Turns out the acromion was banging on something and the shoulder was all irritated from that. I had what is called a "sub-acromial decompression" where they shave the underside of the acromion to make more space for the tendons and ligaments.

Do a search on Acromion. Turns out there are a couple of different shapes (all are normal) but can cause problems depending on what you do.

Maybe the doctor means with the "AC" joint is the junction between the Acromion and the Collarbone? There is also a ligament called the Coraco-acromial ligament which (I was told) was left over from when we walked on all-fours. I had mine "snipped" in one surgery as it may have been the problem or contributing to the problem. Only problem is--it CAN grow back together.

Seagurl51
November 16th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by msgrupp
Slap lesion. I had the same problem back in 1989. Turns out the acromion was banging on something and the shoulder was all irritated from that. I had what is called a "sub-acromial decompression" where they shave the underside of the acromion to make more space for the tendons and ligaments.

Do a search on Acromion. Turns out there are a couple of different shapes (all are normal) but can cause problems depending on what you do.

Maybe the doctor means with the "AC" joint is the junction between the Acromion and the Collarbone? There is also a ligament called the Coraco-acromial ligament which (I was told) was left over from when we walked on all-fours. I had mine "snipped" in one surgery as it may have been the problem or contributing to the problem. Only problem is--it CAN grow back together.

Yes, the doctor said that the Acromion and Calival are banging together. I just couldn't remember their names so I figured AC worked, got the general message across. What did you do to help you shoulder pain and heal? If you wouldn't mind talking to me, your problem sounds similar to what the doctor said about my shoulder. Some of the terms are ringing bells in the back of my head. Please e-mail me, I would feel bad for hijacking this thread to talk about my shouder.

~Kyra

jim thornton
November 16th, 2004, 10:08 PM
This is why I am confused: the shoulder is an incredibly complex joint, with all sorts of mayhem possible; plus the operative theories for pain seems to change. For a while, shrinking the capsule with a heat probe seemed to be the most promising treatment for "instability"--but now that seems to have maybe lost a little of its luster. I once interviewed shoulder guru, Richard Hawkins, of the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic somewhere out in the ski resort territory of Colorado, and he told me he thought that the acromion shaving business didn't make sense.

Perhaps there is a doctor on the forum who is up to date on the state of the art thinking here--what has been discredited, what hasn't, what works, what doesn't, and how close to 100 percent sure is anybody about what is really going on?

Kyra, I concur: good luck to us all!

jim thornton
November 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM
By the way, please post any answers here! To all us shoulder wounded types, there's no such thing as hijacking the forum!

Dennis Tesch
November 16th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I would like to post a positive reply to this forum I started over a year ago. To be honest, it sure doesn't seem like it has been over a year since I posted this forum.

I decided last year to not have surgery on my shoulder after havig two doctor tell me I should. I starting taking yoga and pilates as a way to strengthen and stabilize my shoulder. After about a month of continuous exercise I am happy to say I have hardly any pain in my shoulder. I've noticed that if I stop these exercise's the pain starts to come back. I truely feel that my problems have been caused be an inbalance in body strength, posture, and flexibility.

I don't think these exercise's will solve everyone's problems, but I am very glad I didn't go under the knife right away. It is worth a good effort to try the options.

gull
November 17th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Although I am a doctor, I'm not an orthopedist (but have had shoulder problems of my own). Jim asks some great questions. My understanding is that SLAP injuries can be diagnosed by MRI in many (most?) cases, if the radiologist is experienced. Arthroscopy will detect those that are missed by MRI. I don't believe surgery is required in all cases--I think it depends on the extent/size of the tear. This is a type of injury which in the past was not recognized and thus went untreated.

If the problem is impingement and tendinitis, which is what I had (have), it can take several months of PT to see improvement. Antiinflammatory drugs and ice are very helpful. My orthopedist allowed me to keep swimming, but I made a number of adjustments. I didn't swim every day, I increased the yardage very slowly, I threw away my paddles, and I avoided butterfly. Over one year later, I don't think of myself as cured, but I've doubled my yardage, swim 6 days/week, and can swim butterfly without pain. I still do the PT exercises regularly at home and take glucosamine.

danjobry3
November 17th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by gull80
... I threw away my paddles, and I avoided butterfly. ... and can swim butterfly without pain. ....

Just curious. Have you started using paddles again? Do you intent to?

I haven't used paddles in a year because of shoulder soreness. I also had to stop using a kickboard. My shoulder's a lot better, but I'm not sure I'll be using paddles for a while.

gull
November 17th, 2004, 03:52 PM
I don't plan to use paddles again. Used properly, I suspect that the newer designs probably won't do any harm, but I don't want to take any chances. I kick without a board and pull using just a pull buoy.

2go+h20
November 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM
This is a most informative, and excellent thread.
I am another shoulder sufferer (damaged from my work as a Neuro Rehab person - although the muscles in the rotator cuff group,- the sustained and repetitive action was overkill ). I am currently experiencing a degree of pain after I swim, and a noticable stiffness in the joint post workout. I am not able to do a push up motion comfortably.
Keeping the small muscles that attach to the shoulder blade stretched and loose is tricky.
One problem I do come across in my line of work is teaching people how to switch off muscles after they have worked them. If we keep our resting tone raised, and not in a normal relaxed state we will be susceptible to injury. Poor posture, which in swimmers can be noticeable - shoulders slumping forwards and inwards will also contribute to injury.
When we over use, or don't listen to our muscles, and continue to use them it's a given they will get damaged. Other muscles will come to their aid, but will soon fatigue and the problem will worsen.
I agree with the advice: Get seen by a shoulder sports medicine therapist and an otho pod. Learn how all of your shoulder muscles work. Become sensory aware of all the muscles and when they are relaxed as well as working. Learn how to stretch and strengthen correctly. Correct your posture and adapt your workplace (eg sit on a ball at the computer, ensure your shoulder is fully supported when keyboarding etc) Adapt the workout to suit your needs (This is not a general excuse to completely change the coach's workout!!). Train all strokes for balance, but adapt eg fly if it bothers you.
Above all train smart.
Do your shoulder prevention exercises and stretches faithfully.
Happy Healthy Shoulders.

Lucky McCharm
November 19th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I am a physical therapist that treats mainly shoulders . I recently had a Labrum repair. Please email privately & I will explain everything .

nickswim9
December 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I had a 30% tear of my labrum due to a swimming injury. I was coming into the wall on backstroke and my shoulder popped out right as I was pulling. It's called a Bankart lesion. The labrum is a circular piece of cartilage that lines the shoulder socket and the more that is damaged the easier it is for it to slip out of socket.

After I injured it originally, it hurt for a couple months, after which I didn't really have pain, but it felt off, especially when my arm was overhead. I felt like in certain positions I just couldn't trust my shoulder to stay stable.

Physical therapy cannot fix a labral tear. It took me 3 years to really figure that out.

When I finally went to the doctor, I got an MRI, which is when I figured out what I had done. I got an X-ray but it didn't show anything.

Nobody likes to have surgery. I certainly didn't, so I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to. But, for a labral tear, it's really the only option.

I also would like to clear up some misconceptions about shoulder surgery, especially for a labral tear. After the doctor told me I had to get surgery, my mom spread the news to her friends. Many of them told her that the last thing in the world I want is surgery, that they know people that have had surgery and it really messed them up. This is because up until 20 years ago, doctors had a completely different method of treating a labral tear. First of all, they wouldn't do the surgery right away so the tear would get worse and worse until surgery was absolutely imperative. Second of all, the manner in which they did physical therapy afterwards led to only a partial recovery in range of motion.

Thankfully, nowadays, the PT and surgical procedure is better. Patients usually end up with a full recovery. The only ones that don't are the ones who try to get back into their sport to soon. If you get surgery, LISTEN TO YOUR PT!

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago. This is the recovery process after surgery.
You'll be in a sling for 6 weeks. After 4 weeks, the sling isn't as heavy duty. The first 2 days, you are pretty bed-bound. Be prepared to watch movies and have people wait on you. You'll be able to get up to do stuff, but you probably won't really want to due to the pain and such.

Physical therapy starts the 2nd week and for the first six weeks, you're working on getting your range of motion back. The PT will stretch you arm a bit for you and you'll do some stretching on your own, along with small things like curling the weight of your arm and light arm circles.

To give you an idea of what's going on with the labrum at this point, it takes 4-6 weeks for the labrum to reattach to the bone and another 4-6 weeks for it to get securely fastened onto it. This is why after 6 weeks, you'll get the sling off. Then the exercises start getting a bit harder and a little more weight bearing.

From what my PT said, I can get back into a pool without restrictions after 4-6 months. But it'll take 6-9 months to completely recover my strength.

Of course a lot of the recovery time depends on your age and your diligence in doing your exercises.

If you have any questions, my email is nickswim9@gmail.com

Best of luck,

Nick

__steve__
December 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Left shoulder popped out of socket for 1st time in the middle of Moab Ut 1992. Luckily a doctor on a Mtn bike passing by set it back in for me. I was 10 miles out. For the next 10 years it would pop out for whatever and I would reset it myself. About 12 full dislocations total. 2003 I started lifting weights, have not had any dislocations since. Started swimming in 2008. Although my left stroke is unusual (left hand crosses at front), the actual swimming helps strengthen my shoulder.

Never went to the doctor for my shoulder. Not yet...

sanwin
December 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
:chug:I too am a swimmer with multi shoulder problems. My last injury was forcing my arm with weights last fall, long story short waited about 6mon till I saw my orthopedic surgeon. I had a decompession and he found a torn cartiledge,leaving the head of humerus uneven. He warned me post op I may have more problems.Shoulder was great up till now.It is painful,making many thing including swimming painful. He wants to resurface the humerus with a hemicap(metal overlay). I know a runner who had it done on his hip,no pain. Has any swimmer out there had this done. I am trying to adjust to the fact I may never be as strong in the pool as I use to be. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Elpamass
December 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Hello
I am Mason from iran.
Iinjured whe i was lifting a tire.
after visit my doctor he told me it's buritist ant tondonitis,after 3 months ,I came back to water and after 6 meter butterfly i felt a sore in my chest.
afterward i went to the orthopedist along with my MRI,the record was"There is linear high signal intensity in the labrum compatible with partial tear.Smal amount of flouid in the shoulder joint space is seen".
this is the radiologist record.
my doctor told me you should go to PT for 2 weeks.
But i have pain in my chest not my shoulder...
whats your opinion?
thanks

pbrown82284
November 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Hi, Lucky McCharm I would appreciate any advice you give me on a reverse bankart lesion. I am PT student and I am debating conservative vs arthroscopic repair. I like many of the people on here notice the pain/discomfort from impingement in the recovery process of the swimming stroke. (I am really into surfing, and I think the same should apply as in swimming) I pushed my surfing too much one day and the impingement caused a severe bursitis. This caused a tremendous pain and I ended up with a mri and the report confirmed the bursitis and labral tear. I believe if I did not want to surf all day that the conservative treatment would definitely work. I never had a traumatic dislocation, and I believe it has just been repeated minor subluxations that caused the tear. I am questioning if I don't get the labrum repaired if I will see increased instability over time, with a worse outcome than if I elect to get it repaired now when my shoulder is relatively stable? Is there any advice or resources you can point me too. I have talked with my professors, but I would like advice from someone who can relate to swimming. pbrown82284@gmail.com

Spock
December 1st, 2013, 12:52 AM
If anyone's curious what it looks like I've posted the arthroscopic videos of my SLAP tear repair here (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRmZOw9tiWomaJVU2ugEUMQ).

Keep in mind it was diagnosed as a SLAP tear, but once the orthopod got in he discovered a torn rotator cuff, torn bicep tendon, and bone spur as well.

Two weeks out ... not much to report yet.

Rich Abrahams
December 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM
Heal quickly, Kip but be patient.
Rich

sunruh
December 2nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Kip,
welcome to the old fast guy with torn up shoulder(s) club.
very sorry to hear you have joined the ranks.
maybe we can have a special heat at Nats for those of us with "extra" parts inside holding us together.
my right shoulder is starting to look like it should have Lego stamped on it from all the plastic inside.
if you want any tips feel free to email/pm me. i'll gladly tell you or anybody what all i went through on my now 2 recoveries.

steve

LinMoore
December 2nd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Dennis,
I had labrum tears ( anterior and superior) , bicep tendon reattachment and Sub-acromial decompression work done 8/8/13. I just finished 23,400 yds on 12 swims in November.All strokes but fly. Rehab the heck out of it . I elected to move forward with the surgery even after being able to continue swimming . Long term, the labrum does not heal. there will be some work for you to do, but 4-6 months is nothing for several more years of swimming. BTW, mine was arthroscopic and done at the Andrews Sports medicine institute in Birmingham. Dr. Lyle Cain. He's a superstar and arthro expert. Good luck to you. Send a PM if you want to discuss further.

Lin in Alabama

Swimspire
December 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I truely feel that my problems have been caused be an inbalance in body strength, posture, and flexibility.

Balance is indeed the name of the game here, Dennis. Maintaining the proper balance between strength and proper stroke technique is extremely important to continue a consistent swimming regimen without injuries.

Many swimmers ignore the necessity of developing proper stroke technique until an injury finally happens. A physical therapist I know told me that people tend to avoid practicing proper training (whether swimming or otherwise) in favor of sheer strength, until after they get injured, when they finally wake up to the realization that proper execution is just as important.

Prevention should be a primary focus in swimming, through learning correct technique and incorporating variety into workouts. Hopefully other swimmers will take heed!

Good luck in your continued recovery.

raven316
January 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I have been a daily swimmer for ten years. Before that I ran and, before that it was basketball. I'm 64 and have had on and off shoulder problems in my right (dominant) arm ever since I can remember. I began to have sleep related issues a year or so ago and finally decided to have it looked at. The MRI revealed a labrum tear and the pod felt surgery was the only way to go. I shattered my left leg in 8th grade and broke my back (T-6 compression fracture) in 75. I know I am a very lucky person to be able to have been this active and want to keep it up. I scheduled the surgery, came home and researched the recovery and decided to put it off. This was all this week and now, after more research, I'm more and more convinced I'm going to have to have it. These discussions are great but the common thread is that there is no common thread. we'll alkl have to decide what's best for us with the information we have. I think the licker for me was a presentation by a Duke orthopod to a group of seniors.

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/health_articles/shoulder_pain_causes_and_treatments

Her makes a clear differentiation between active shoulder pain (I have no pain when I swim, and shoulder pain that messes with your sleep. Mine is the latter and I am getting closer to thinking 1. If I want to keep swimming I have to fix it 2. it's the only way to help with the sleep. I appreciate this sire and this thread.