PDA

View Full Version : Physical therapy Graston Technique

lynnwa
February 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Have any Forumites had this type of PT? It was recommended to me for extreme IT band and glute tightness that is also affecting my knee, not to mention my stroke. In looking at reviews online I have heard both good and bad. Good being that you would be able to notice positive results after two weeks. Bad being extremely painful; and compared to childbirth! I have never heard of this until this week can anyone shed any light? Thanks!

orca1946
February 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Have not heard of it,but I have been playing with my I T B for 2 years now - with litte change. I may need to look into this!

Bobinator
February 12th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I had 12 Graston treatments last spring on my upper back hoping to help my neck. It is painful but the feeling of euphoria after the treatment is worth it.
I would not compare it to child birth....definitely not that bad!! The worst thing about it was the feeling that the tool was going to rip my skin.
After the treatment your skin will be bruised for a couple days but it goes away and really doesn't hurt much after.
I truly do not think the Graston helped my neck much but my upper back seemed to flex up and feel better.
http://forums.usms.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2622&stc=1&d=1297565985

lynnwa
February 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Thank you Bobinator for your encouraging information.

Bobinator
February 12th, 2011, 11:24 PM
The picture probably says more than my words! :blah:

lynnwa
February 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM
The picture was taken right after treatment? Ouch! Glad it helped though.

Bobinator
February 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM
The pic was taken about 90 minutes after the treatment in a locker room. I was getting ready to swim and a total stranger asked me if I had been in some type of an accident. I said no and asked her to take a picture with my cell phone. She took the pic but said she would not testify in court. I guess she thought I had been beaten. The discoloration goes away in 2 days or so but comes back every time you get a treatment.

orca1946
February 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I got bruises from my regular P T guy!!:badday:

lynnwa
February 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I just received my first treatment and while I am sore I am amazed at the improved range of motion - bruises are also forming..

Bobinator
February 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm glad it feels like it's helping!!!!
I think I was getting my treatment in the wrong spot to help my neck although I surely wouldn't want the tool digging on my neck!
Good luck!