PDA

View Full Version : Masters Marketplace?

Karen Duggan
February 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
No Jim, I'm not going to post what I posted yesterday. :D It was deleted.
But I would like to have a discussion with USMS and forum folk about having
a "classified section" for masters.

I know, Jim, that you said that it would create spam issues etc., but couldn't such a section of the site be password protected? Couldn't we sign up to use such a page?

I just don't see why, if I have something that doesn't work for me, why I can't offer it to another master's swimmer? And vice versa?

We are always helping each other on the deck, why can't we help each other on the forums?

couldbebetterfly
February 13th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I think it is a good idea, and was kinda surprised that there wasn't something already.

I have been/am a member on a couple of other forums where you need a certain length of forum membership and a certain number of posts before you get access to such a section. Also there is a feedback system positive/negative/neutral where you can comment. Don't know if this is a separate add-on to the current forum, or something that's already there and can be activated?

There are also rules to prevent vendors from listing stuff, but I'm not sure how this is achieved in practice:dunno:

smontanaro
February 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I would be happy to help moderate such a forum so as to help share the load.

Skip

Karen Duggan
February 14th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I just think that there might be a need for this. I know I need it! LOL

thewookiee
February 14th, 2011, 06:49 AM
No Jim, I'm not going to post what I posted yesterday. :D It was deleted.
But I would like to have a discussion with USMS and forum folk about having
a "classified section" for masters.

I know, Jim, that you said that it would create spam issues etc., but couldn't such a section of the site be password protected? Couldn't we sign up to use such a page?

I just don't see why, if I have something that doesn't work for me, why I can't offer it to another master's swimmer? And vice versa?

We are always helping each other on the deck, why can't we help each other on the forums?

Would we be able to buy and sell teams, coaches, or teammates? I would like to offer the cleaning services of one aquageek. For a mere, $1, geek will travel to your residence(he pays all the expenses) For a 2 day period, he will clean all of your house, including the windows, yard(pick up dog poo) and cars.

For those that are interested, please contact Mrs. Duggan. If you have a special outfit you want geek to wear, please deduct $.50.

Karen Duggan
February 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of gear or suits that were perfectly good that either didn't fit, or people didn't like.

Perhaps though, Wookie, you could make a killing selling some of your aqua-fur? :D

thewookiee
February 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Perhaps though, Wookie, you could make a killing selling some of your aqua-fur? :D

My fur will make a great compost for one's garden or yard.

orca1946
February 14th, 2011, 06:35 PM
The Corvette forums do well with vendors & keeps watch on them .
Maybe a craig's list type of sell or giveaway can work for us?

Karen Duggan
February 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing.
I don't want to be inundated with ads and stuff, but I'd love to have a place to post stuff to sell or buy, for just masters swimmers.

I know how to contact all of the USMS sponsors and other vendors on-line, but I would like to have a convenient place through this website to buy/sell from each other.

orca1946
February 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM
We all have products that just did not work out for ourselves & would like to clear out of our shelves.

ViveBene
February 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Some fora handle such inter-user sales and exchanges by allowing one post, then closing the thread. Respondents then get in touch with seller by PM. And generally the forum requests that items be related to the forum's subject matter.

Sadly, old swimsuits are not like old Porsches, unless they are autographed.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Consider allowing only currently registered USMS members to use this service/benefit.

Personally, I don't understand why the forum benefit is not more widely restricted (beyond workouts) to members only.

Redbird Alum
February 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Why try to replicate E-bay or any other internet buy-sell site? What advantage would this site implementing such capabilities have over one that already exists? And wouldn't it create liabilities for USMS?

thewookiee
February 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Consider allowing only currently registered USMS members to use this service/benefit.

Personally, I don't understand why the forum benefit is not more widely restricted (beyond workouts) to members only.

So you want the forum to be more restricted?

Peter Cruise
February 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Karen- if you would sell some of your Walnut Creek sunshine, I'm sure there would be plenty of takers.

Karen Duggan
February 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Peter-We had a lot of it last week for sure.
This week it's cloudy and rainy!

I do not want to re-create E-bay or Craig's list at all. I would rather just deal with masters swimmers if I had, say, a suit to sell. I'm aware I could put it on these other sites, but I don't want the hassle.

I like the idea of posting it once and then letting people PM you about it.

Who do I ask about implementing this at USMS?

Rob Copeland
February 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Who do I ask about implementing this at USMS?Karen,

Since there is start-up and ongoing cost/effort associated with running a Market Place, I would suggest that the proper place to start is to prepare a business case and business plan for the Board of Directors. Once completed, if you send it to me, I will present it to the Board.

As part of the business plan, I suggest you also identify who will serve as the Marketplace Moderator. Our volunteer forum moderators would prefer not taking on the additional workload and it will be difficult to get the board to allocate more staff time to managing the spam, unacceptable/improper items, non-sponsor company sales, etc. that will come along with a Marketplace.:2cents:

Karen Duggan
February 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I think Skip said he would moderate.

No clue how to do a business plan (teaching's my game!).

If you could give me a place to start, or someone to contact that could help me, that'd be great.

Thanks Rob.

*I am curious though why it can't just be a thread that is password protected. For example, we can't vote more than once in a poll. Is it too big a jump to make that happen?

Rob Copeland
February 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
If you could give me a place to start, or someone to contact that could help me, that'd be great.Okay as a board member, I’d like to see a business case address the following:
Does the “project” align with our mission and goals?
Who will take responsibility for the project?
What are the initial and on-going costs?
What are the benefits to USMS (monetary, additional members, etc.)?
What are the benefits to USMS members?
What are the benefits to the general swimming public?
What are the risks to USMS?
What are the risks to our members?

And specifically for a Marketplace business case, I’d like to see:
What are the rules and policies that manage/control the Marketplace?
Who can post items? Who can’t post?
What Items can be posted? What items can’t be posted?
What liability if any is there for USMS? How will it be mitigated?
How long will items be allowed to be listed?
Who will update sold items?
Is there any Marketplace functionality that should be included? (Seller rating, etc.)

I’m sure there are more, but this is a start. With the exception of “What are the initial and on-going costs?”, which will need to come from staff, you should be able to come up with the rest of these.

NOTE – I PM’ed Skip a little while ago to see if he would be willing to be “THE” Marketplace Moderator (not just a moderator) I have yet to hear back. Finding someone to volunteer to take on the responsibility of owning the Marketplace would be a big plus.

Karen Duggan
February 16th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Sheesh. And I thought I was the one supposed to give out the homework!

Since this looks to be up there with my masters program (that I am 80% done with) I'll see if anyone else wants to take up the cause with me?