PDA

View Full Version : LCM Nationals at Auburn: Great Pool/ Great Organizers!

ElaineK
February 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hey Forumites!

If you are even considering the possibility of attending LCM Nationals, August 3-6, JUST DO IT! :thewave: (That Guy, this Smilie's for you! :D)

I just got back from the Auburn Masters SCY Invitational and it was a fantastic meet. Conner Bailey and his team did a PERFECT job organizing and running that meet. The events even ran ahead of schedule both days! :applaud: THANK YOU!

A BIG thanks, also, to my fellow GAJA teammates for your friendliness, encouragement, and warm welcome, when I was thrown onto your relay team at the last minute: Kristin Aziz, Alison Ibarguen, and Marianne Countryman. You gals rock! Hey, thanks for saying I did well, too, because my split was more than 4 seconds off my PB for 50 breaststroke! :afraid:(I thought Sunday was my 10th day swimming in a row, but, looking at my FLOG, it was my 12th day! I guess I was trying to make up for my lack of enough pool time, while I was in Califorinia. And, the previous weeks' meet didn't help matters, either. I was pooped!)

Another big thanks to Donna Hooe for doing everything she could to get me on three relays, since I was the odd woman out at Nationals, last year- thanks!

Finally, a special BIG thanks to Peter McCoy, David Berry, Coach David, and the others from the Madison Titans who were so NICE to me! You guys made my weekend! I appreciated your encouragement and advice, while we shared a bench on the bleachers all weekend. You guys were the greatest- AND FAST! Congratulations!!! :bow:

The pool at Auburn University is fantastic, too! It's a great facility and everybody there was so nice and helpful. I'll be there in August and I hope you will, too! :agree:

Cheers!
:chug:

pmccoy
February 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hey Elaine,

Thanks for your support as well! I'll second the organization comments... top notch! These guys are ready to put on big events. I really liked their use of swim phone (www.swimphone.com (http://www.swimphone.com)). They pushed out timely results and you didn't have to all crowd around a paper readout. Congrats on GAJA taking home another big trophy!

Peter

Swimosaur
February 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Conner Bailey and his team did a PERFECT job organizing and running that meet ... :applaud: THANK YOU!

Hear, hear!!

Once again Conner and everyone at Auburn did an outstanding job running an outstanding meet! Well done!!

:bliss:

That Guy
February 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
:thewave: (That Guy, this Smilie's for you! :D)

:applaud:

mcountryman
February 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Ditto to Elaine's comments about the meet and facilities, everything was great!!

Thanks to Donna for all her hard work coordinating the relays. I felt honored to be included and swim in the relays with such fantastic people and SUPER FAST swimmers. Thanks to all who made me feel so welcome.:)

A special thanks to you Elaine who was there to high five me after each and every one of my races.

ElaineK
February 14th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Ditto to Elaine's comments about the meet and facilities, everything was great!!

Thanks to Donna for all her hard work coordinating the relays. I felt honored to be included and swim in the relays with such fantastic people and SUPER FAST swimmers. Thanks to all who made me feel so welcome.:)

A special thanks to you Elaine who was there to high five me after each and every one of my races.

:bighug: :cheerleader: Marianne, you were an inspiration! And, so humble about your successes. YOU ROCKED!!!

ElaineK
February 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hey Elaine,

Thanks for your support as well! I'll second the organization comments... top notch! These guys are ready to put on big events. I really liked their use of swim phone (www.swimphone.com (http://www.swimphone.com)). They pushed out timely results and you didn't have to all crowd around a paper readout. Congrats on GAJA taking home another big trophy!

Peter

Your welcome, Peter! It was great watching you and your teammates! And, I couldn't have :cheerleader: for a nicer team. Will you adopt me as an honorary member? :banana: Too bad the commute is just a tad too far to join you guys for real! :badday:

Lump
February 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Elaine,
was nice to meet you and put a face with a name...Marianne as well!

Here a link to some of the pictures I took from the meet (folks I know). Next time I'll have more folks to take pictures of!

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/Gamecock71/Auburn%20Masters%20Meet%202011/

ElaineK
February 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Elaine,

Here a link to some of the pictures I took from the meet (folks I know). Next time I'll have more folks to take pictures of!

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/Gamecock71/Auburn%20Masters%20Meet%202011/

Thanks, Jeff! You, too! Congrats. on your excellent swims!! :applaud:

Nice photos, by the way. I see you have one of June Callaway; a sweet lady and an inspiration! When I grow up, I want to be just like her!:cheerleader: At 76, she's amazing- and, has a beautiful freestyle! I had the honor of swimming with her in a freestyle relay (not the fastest, of course, but we scored points...) and Bruce got it on video. I need to get it posted to my You Tube channel, so her family can see her swim! Do you have contact info. for her? She's not in the USMS directory. Please send me a PM if you know how I can reach her- thanks!

Lump
February 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Jeff! You, too! Congrats. on your excellent swims!! :applaud:

Nice photos, by the way. I see you have one of June Callaway; a sweet lady and an inspiration! When I grow up, I want to be just like her!:cheerleader: At 76, she's amazing- and, has a beautiful freestyle! I had the honor of swimming with her in a freestyle relay (not the fastest, of course, but we scored points...) and Bruce got it on video. I need to get it posted to my You Tube channel, so her family can see her swim! Do you have contact info. for her? She's not in the USMS directory. Please send me a PM if you know how I can reach her- thanks!

I don't have her contact info, but she swims for Dynamo Masters. Maria Thrash, coach, might have it and her contact info is on the Dynamo website. Yeah, June is sweet. I counted for her in the mile. She was avg. about 2:20 or so per 100, so you can do the math. It was an honor to count for her! If I make it to 76, let alone swim the 1650, I'll be happy!:D

pmccoy
February 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Your welcome, Peter! It was great watching you and your teammates! And, I couldn't have :cheerleader: for a nicer team. Will you adopt me as an honorary member? :banana: Too bad the commute is just a tad too far to join you guys for real! :badday:Honorary member? You bet. However, you are going to have to swim in a mixed relay for us one day :).

The commute isn't so bad. Get on a plane at 5:30 and land in Huntsville at 5:20 (time zone change favors you big time here). I'll pick you up and we will be at the pool by 5:25 ready to go. You get a great workout AND you save 5 minutes on your day. I don't see any downside.

want2beafish
February 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I love this meet! Even though I wasn't happy with most of my swims, I'm so glad I went. Thanks to several friends for talking me into staying for Sunday's events!

Conner puts on an incredible meet, and takes none of the credit himself. Auburn LCM Nats are going to be AMAZING!!

Judd, sorry we didn't get a chance to say hi. I saw you a couple of times, but it always seemed that it was right before one of my events. And no one in his/her right mind would want to talk to me then. :)

Marianne, Elaine is right! You are so humble about your accomplishments! I can't believe you only started doing pool meets. Your times are fantastic, and as you get more meet practice, you will only get faster. And with your open water experience, I'll bet you really will thrive on long course. Can't wait to see you you progress, since you're already fast!

Elaine, it was so nice to meet you! It was great having you on the relay! We 45-49 year olds can still rock 'em (as long as we succeed in keeping our goggles on :))! First you, then me, then Ali... I hope you got the point that it can happen to anyone... Don't know if you know, but Ali is a former UGA swimmer -- so she has loads of experience.

And of course, Donna's leadership with relays is second to none. She is awesome, and did a great job as always!!

Hey Jeff, with your starts and pullouts, you can fake a 50 breast pretty well!!

Swimosaur
February 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM
... it always seemed that it was right before one of my events. And no one in his/her right mind would want to talk to me then. :)

I saw that game face!! And I thought, "I'll pick a better time ..." :)

What a great meet! This is my second year at Auburn, and it runs like a well-oiled machine. Great people, great pool, AND I cut 6 seconds off my 400 IM ... :banana:... no funny adventures with starting horns or counters, everything ran like a clock!

ElaineK
February 14th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Honorary member? You bet. However, you are going to have to swim in a mixed relay for us one day :).

The commute isn't so bad. Get on a plane at 5:30 and land in Huntsville at 5:20 (time zone change favors you big time here). I'll pick you up and we will be at the pool by 5:25 ready to go. You get a great workout AND you save 5 minutes on your day. I don't see any downside.

:lmao: :rofl: :laugh2:

ElaineK
February 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I love this meet! Even though I wasn't happy with most of my swims, I'm so glad I went. Thanks to several friends for talking me into staying for Sunday's events!

Conner puts on an incredible meet, and takes none of the credit himself. Auburn LCM Nats are going to be AMAZING!!

Judd, sorry we didn't get a chance to say hi. I saw you a couple of times, but it always seemed that it was right before one of my events. And no one in his/her right mind would want to talk to me then. :)

Marianne, Elaine is right! You are so humble about your accomplishments! I can't believe you only started doing pool meets. Your times are fantastic, and as you get more meet practice, you will only get faster. And with your open water experience, I'll bet you really will thrive on long course. Can't wait to see you you progress, since you're already fast!

Elaine, it was so nice to meet you! It was great having you on the relay! We 45-49 year olds can still rock 'em (as long as we succeed in keeping our goggles on :))! First you, then me, then Ali... I hope you got the point that it can happen to anyone... Don't know if you know, but Ali is a former UGA swimmer -- so she has loads of experience.

And of course, Donna's leadership with relays is second to none. She is awesome, and did a great job as always!!

Hey Jeff, with your starts and pullouts, you can fake a 50 breast pretty well!!

Thanks, Kristin! Hey, everytime I think of the goggle incident, I crack up. I mean, it was contagious! Yikes, what did I start??? :afraid: Did Ali make it home ok without her contact? I hope she didn't end up with a migraine! :bighug: And, no, I didn't know she used to swim for UGA. :bow: For that matter, :bow::bow::bow: to you, Ali, and Marianne! I'll get the relay posted on YouTube and get the link to you as a keepsake of that memorable event... :D Stay tuned; I'll post it as soon as I can get it done... Here it is: YouTube - Auburn 2-12-11 Women's Medley Relay.MOV We're in Lane 1!

mcountryman
February 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Elaine,

Thanks Jeff, it was great to meet you too! Congrats...I see that you won the high point in your age group. You are an awesome swimmer.
I look forward to seeing you out at Red Top Mountain when Pete's group starts up.

Elaine and Kristin, thanks for your kind words. I can't wait to see you both again at St. Pat's!! :D

ElaineK
February 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hey, I would like to give one more shout out to somebody I forgot (I'm sorry!) to mention in my first post: Mark Rogers. I don't know if he will ever see this, but for you GAJA Forumites who haven't met him yet, make sure to meet him at St. Pat's.! We met at the Marist week, the previous weekend, and he is the nicest, most encouraging and positive guy. He wished me good luck before all of my races and said something positive to me every time we passed each other at the pool. Thanks, Mark! :D

Cheers!
:chug:

P.S. Good luck at St. Pat's! I'll be cheering you on in your races!! :cheerleader:

Lump
February 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Just some other feedback on the pool that I heard (and agree with) and wanted to share. I heard ALOT of people talk about having issues with the walls, mostly at the bulkhead end of the pool. Mainly due to two factors:

1. The "wall" is see through...meaning the bulkhead is open air straight through where you touch the wall. At water level you can see through it into the warmdown area. So the warmdown area is the background you pick up swimming breast or fly.

2. The bulkhead only extends underwater 4-1/2 to 5 feet with a pool that is at least 8 feet deep or more. So coming into the wall swimming free you don't pic up the bottom of the bulkhead until the last second, unlike in a fixed wall pool. So you say use the marks on the bottom of the pool.....they didn't help either. I had some major issues on a few turns, either too far away (toe tapper) or too close (cruncher). Nothing I couldn't cure with a week of swimming in that pool, but its tough to get used to just coming in.

I haven't swam there LCM so not sure what the walls will look like then, but its something to think about when you get there in August.

want2beafish
February 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Just some other feedback on the pool that I heard (and agree with) and wanted to share. I heard ALOT of people talk about having issues with the walls, mostly at the bulkhead end of the pool. Mainly due to two factors:

1. The "wall" is see through...meaning the bulkhead is open air straight through where you touch the wall. At water level you can see through it into the warmdown area. So the warmdown area is the background you pick up swimming breast or fly.

2. The bulkhead only extends underwater 4-1/2 to 5 feet with a pool that is at least 8 feet deep or more. So coming into the wall swimming free you don't pic up the bottom of the bulkhead until the last second, unlike in a fixed wall pool. So you say use the marks on the bottom of the pool.....they didn't help either. I had some major issues on a few turns, either too far away (toe tapper) or too close (cruncher). Nothing I couldn't cure with a week of swimming in that pool, but its tough to get used to just coming in.

I haven't swam there LCM so not sure what the walls will look like then, but its something to think about when you get there in August.
So THAT'S why my freestyle was so crappy! :) I'll take any excuses I can get!! Actually, I did have some trouble seeing the walls -- which was fine during the longer freestyles as there was time to set up the turn (and really, that's why you pay attention to turns and walls during warm up), but during the 100 free the fatigue combined with the challenging walls led to a horribly executed 75 turn. That race was a comedy of errors. If I had hit that turn, I likely would have even split my 100. Not the way to swim that race. :doh:

pmccoy
February 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM

I went through this last year. I got used to the habit of watching for the "cross" painted on the bottom of the pool and timing my turn based upon that. This didn't translate well in Auburn because there were multiple cross marks used for lining up the bulkhead AND timing the turns. So, I had to remember to flip on the first cross at the bulkhead and the last cross at the wall. The last thing I needed was something else to worry about.

Over the last year, I've tried to visit other pools and swim in different depths so I would learn to adapt to sight cues that were more consistent across pools. That helped a lot for this meet but I still messed a couple turns up. Just not as bad as last year. The bulkhead still intimidates me. For some reason I think it is going to give too much.

hnatkin
February 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I think it's just a matter of getting used to bulkheads in general. After 4 years of attending the Auburn meet and St Nicks and Nationals at GA Tech, I think I've finally figured it out. I don't look at the bottom of the pool so much as diagonally down towards the bottom of the bulkhead.

Donna
February 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
It was great seeing, socializing and swimming with all of you, my GA swim buds. This was just the weekend meet I needed to get myself motivated again.

Thanks for giving me a second wind.

Donna

ghost88
February 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Hoping to make it there this year...

Conner Bailey
February 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
First, thanks for all the kind comments about last weekend's meet. Reason I don't take credit is I'm just the front man. Behind me I've got people who run NCAA championships, US Opens, and age group meets with 1200 swimmers and two courses operating simultaneously. I can probably be credited with about 15% of the success. Team effort, and THAT is the secret of running a classy operation - we all work together for the good of the larger swimming community in Auburn (vasity, masters, age group, and of course the Splasher's who work as timers). We've invested in relationships.

At nationals, we will start off a bulkhead (double width) on the end of the pool towards the diving well, with the first turn off the permanent wall. The bulkheads do take a little getting used to, figuring your spot on the bottom, but I love the bulkheads: as you swim into a wall, water builds up in front of you, while with the bulkhead this does not hapen and resistance is lower. This is one of the factors that makes Auburn a fast pool.

Coner Not-the-meet-director-of-nationals-Bailey

swim53
February 17th, 2011, 10:56 AM
No bulkhead for LCM---right?

pmccoy
February 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
No bulkhead for LCM---right?
I'm pretty sure the pool is longer than 50m with the diving well so I'd expect a bulkhead somewhere. Could be wrong though.

Edit - Here's the link to the facilities: http://auburntigers.cstv.com/facilities/aub-10-swimming.html Looks like it is 77 yards (~70 meters) with the diving well. I'm assuming that they will use the same facilites that they used for the SCY meet.

pwolf66
February 17th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure the pool is longer than 50m with the diving well so I'd expect a bulkhead somewhere. Could be wrong though.

I beleive it's a 55m pool with 2 moveable bulkheads so they will have a double bulkhead at one end.

Conner Bailey
February 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Peter is correct. There will be a bulkhead; actually double bulkheads at the starting end to increase width of starting platform. The diving well will be behind the start with warm up and warm down lanes in the diving well.

There will also be a separate 8 lane 25 yard pool adjacent to the competition 50 meter pool AND a 10 lane 50 meter pool outside less than 2 minutes walk from the competition pool. Outdoors in early August in Alabama is hot and we are prone to thunderstorms in the afternoon, which is why we'll race indoors. If weather cooperates, we'll have lots of good warm up and warm down space. If not, we still have 14 lanes x 25 yards indoors.

Sarah Stallkamp, who is manager of our Aquatics Center, is will be the Meet Director. She will do a great job.

Conner

pwolf66
February 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Peter is correct.

Man, if I had a nickel for everytime someone did that......