Couroboros
February 15th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Who the hell isn't making a comeback?!

That Guy
February 15th, 2011, 12:49 AM
me

EJB190
February 15th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Next it's going to be Mark Spitz and Dawn Fraser.

Everyone wants a piece of the action. Phelps brought a huge amount of attention to the sport in the 2008 Olympics. Not surprisingly the old retirees want to be in the spotlight haha.

White Lightning
February 15th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Agreed, Eric.

This is all about Phelps.

But I would love to see Mary T. and Crocker take another hack.:thewave:

tjrpatt
February 15th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I think that all these Aussie combacks are partially because there are no new big name swimmers in Australia right now. These guys will most likely make the Olympic team, but I can't see them medaling. Hey, if they want to come back, go for it.

knelson
February 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I agree, Tom. The Aussie men's team is looking pretty weak and these "old guys" feel like they've got a shot given the current situation.

tjrpatt
February 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I agree, Tom. The Aussie men's team is looking pretty weak and these "old guys" feel like they've got a shot given the current situation.

In addition, it will help Thorpe's bank account. I read reports(not sure how accurate) that some of his investments having taking a hit.

jaadams1
February 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
In addition, it will help Thorpe's bank account.

I wish swimming could help my bank account too!! I only see my numbers going down and down... :badday:

ElaineK
February 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
All of these swimming comebacks remind me of the classic rock groups going back on tour to get a piece of the action. Fortunately, several of those groups still sound pretty good rockin' out in their 60's! :bow:

Dara Torres is an inspiration! As for Janet Evans, I hope she follows through with swimming at USMS Nationals. That will spice up Day 1, won't it? :cheerleader:

White Lightening: That's ( :thewave:) a great Smilie, isn't it? :applaud:

Frank Thompson
February 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Wow, this is the third swimmer from Australia in less than a month that is coming out of retirement. Geoff "Skippy" Huegill, http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/geoff-huegill-wants-to-swim-at-2012-london-olympics/story-e6frep5o-1225992191419

Ian Thorpe and now Michael Klim. I guess I am going to have to expand my list of comebacks and include International Swimmers. I have started a list of the Top Ten Swimming Comebacks of All Time for an article I am preparing for another swim forum. Its based on the length of layoff and the success of the comeback.

# 10 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Mark Spitz

#9 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Jeff Rouse

#8 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Summer Sanders

#7 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Mary T Meager

#6 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Melvin Stewart

#5 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Lenny Krayzelburg

#4 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Gary Hall Sr.

#3 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Pablo Morales

#2 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Dara Torres 1999

#1 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Dara Torres 2007

Karen Duggan
February 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM
There's really no need for a "comeback" if they never quit and slide on over to Masters. :D

knelson
February 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have started a list of the Top Ten Swimming Comebacks of All Time for an article I am preparing for another swim forum. Its based on the length of layoff and the success of the comeback.

Did you consider Rowdy Gaines? I believe he quit for a while after graduating from Auburn. He then came back to win the gold medal in the 100 free in LA. So, certainly it measures up in terms of success, but I think the layoff was short.

tjrpatt
February 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Did you consider Rowdy Gaines? I believe he quit for a while after graduating from Auburn. He then came back to win the gold medal in the 100 free in LA. So, certainly it measures up in terms of success, but I think the layoff was short.

it should at least be higher than Mel Stewart and Summer Sanders's comebacks.

I remember Jeff Rouse competing at the 2004 Trials and getting 5 or 6 something in the 100 back. Did he compete in the 2000 and 1996 Trials. If not, I would rank that higher than Stewart or Sanders?

Frank Thompson
February 15th, 2011, 07:23 PM

I do remember when Rowdy retired from swimming and it was in the spring of 1981 after the NCAA meet and the 100 Free World Record that he swam in a time trial short after that. He was back swimming by the end of the year and he broke his own World Record in the 200 Free in the summer of 1982. I think he was out of swimming for 6 to 8 months, tops.

That was about 3 months less than Mary T, so maybe he belongs on the list. Unlike Gaines, Stewart and Sanders were out a little more than 2.5 years and they both did not come close to times they did in 1992, where Rowdy actually did in a little over a year from retirement and the 200 Free World Record is proof of that.

Rowdy's real comeback that I forgot about was 1988. With very little training, he was very close to making the 1988 Olympic team in the 400 Free Relay getting 7th at the Olympic Trials and missing making the team by .04 seconds. So this comeback because of the length of time should probably be on the list.

woolie mammoth
February 15th, 2011, 07:23 PM

I remember Jeff Rouse competing at the 2004 Trials and getting 5 or 6 something in the 100 back. Did he compete in the 2000 and 1996 Trials. If not, I would rank that higher than Stewart or Sanders?

Jeff Rouse is the 1996 Olympic Champion in the 100 meter backstroke. Yes, he competed at the 1996 Olympic trials

orca1946
February 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM
If the aussies can make the team times, good for them:applaud:

Chris Stevenson
February 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
# 10 Swimming Comeback of All Time - Mark Spitz

Really?

Frank Thompson
February 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Really?

It depends on the way you look at this. He had a 17 year lay off from competitive swimming and came back in the fall of 1989 so that gets high marks on the list. He was just short of his 40th birthday so at that time he was by far the oldest ever to make a comeback. If you take oldest and time, then he maybe should be higher on the list.

But he was short of his goal even though his time of :58.03 would have been the fastest time in USMS by a large margin, that was 2.44 seconds from making the :55.59 time standard to be eligible for the Olympic Trials. And it was another 1.32 seconds away from the :54.27 World Record best time from 1972 Olympics the he would have had to at least equaled to have any chance of making the 1992 team.

All of the selections that are above him on the list at least made and swam at the Olympic Trials. He would have had to beat two of the swimmers on this list in Pablo Morales and Melvin Stewart to qualify for the 1992 team in the 100 Fly. The 8th place time at the 1992 Olympics was :54.26 which was .01 faster than what he did in 1992.

He is mainly on the list because of the length of the layoff. Its by far the longest one of anyone. But maybe that alone should not be a reason he should be on the list.

tjrpatt
February 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Jeff Rouse is the 1996 Olympic Champion in the 100 meter backstroke. Yes, he competed at the 1996 Olympic trials

Now, I remember.

tjrpatt
February 15th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Really?

I remember those Saturday Sport Specials where Spitz did a swim off with Biondi and Jaeager. Did Spitz do any competing after that? From my memory, I think that he stopped his comeback after the second swim off.

jaadams1
February 15th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I remember those Saturday Sport Specials where Spitz did a swim off with Biondi and Jaeager. Did Spitz do any competing after that? From my memory, I think that he stopped his comeback after the second swim off.

I see Jaeger every year at our LMSC champs meet. He is now the age group coach in Moscow, Idaho, along with the women's varsity coach for the U of I @ Moscow. He's not there to swim though, just to make sure his college girls are there to be timers to assist with the meet. Wonder how fast he still is?